OfficeMax

Getting the Interview

208 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Anonymous Interview

I applied through other source and interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – changes inside the company from one position to another are encouraged but, should be based more on performance and work ethic than what questions you can answer.

Interview Question – rather not give questions and answers   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2013.

Interview Details – One interview with the store manager. Asked good questions and I was able to answer them all. Got a call just a couple days later for an offer

Interview Question – any of the "what did you do in this situation"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very easy. i got paid more than i asked for

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by the SM to setup an 1st interview. I felt the interview was well conducted. Questions asked were very basic.

A week later I received another call to interview with a second person, that interview was later canceled because the person that was suppose to do the interview wasn't able to conduct the interview. I was told that the ASM would conduct the interview instead. The interview with the ASM went well. The questions asked were very basic. The ASM did tell me that someone already employed at the store was applying for the same position.

A few days later I received a call asking me if I could come in and do the drug test that was required. After the test came back with a good result I was offered the job.

Interview Question – The SM asked me a weirdly worded questions regarding ethics.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate, and was told that the offer was the highest that could be offered for that position even with my years of retail management experience.

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2013.

Interview Details – It was a rushed process. They were very desperate and were looking for warm bodies. It was suppose to be two interviews that was condensed into one. After the interview I completed a personality test then a drug test. Waited to weeks for the back ground test. Then I was hired.

Interview Question – How do you plan to sell our many services available to our customers.   Answer Question

Impress Specialist Interview

Impress Specialist
Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the then Assistant Manager, he was courteous and knowledgeable, though did seem like he was just going through the motions of another interview. Pretty standard questions that go along with customer service style jobs. Was asked about print/design experience, sales experience and general computer knowledge. Was shown a product and was asked how I would 'up-sell' that product. Total interview was around 15 minutes, which included a few interruptions from employees since we were in the middle of the small break room.

Interview Question – Being asked to up-sell items. I'm a firm believer that most people come in knowing what they want. If a customer asks what I recommend I have no problem educating them on products, but if people just need a pen and paper, who am I to talk them in to also buying a printer and photo paper and ink...etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal. Was told the job paid $10 an hour (which I expected) and countered that anything less than $11.00 would cause me to lose money due to the drive from my home. They agreed to $11.00

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – I completed an application found on officemax website, one day later I got a call from their recruiting department. I had a 30 minute phone interview and was immediately scheduled for a second phone interview with HR. the questions are the same typical questions all managers should be accustomed to; they want to know about your experience dealing with operations, staffing and and sales. I was scheduled for a third interview with the district manager at the location I would be running. My third interview was pretty much the same as the second interview. I had a fourth interview which was much more relaxed; after that interview i was told i had the job within 30 minutes.

Interview Question – .What do you look for when You hire people? this is a hard question because of my experience of interviewing people that i though was a grate first that turned out to be disasters and vice versa. It is hard to truly tell how a candidate will perform during an interview and I dont want to say that during my interview so I usually give the normal corporate BS answer. I really look at the past experience of the candidate and grill them on how they handle different situations, how good are they with coaching and following up on commitments.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Store Team Leader
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in August 2010.

Interview Details – Hired as Store Manager. Training should have been more about day to day operations and not all the computer courses. Most go into stores and have to just learn it as you go.

Interview Question – Working with customers who want very technical answers on computers. We are not techs and we are limited to what we know. Also, some of the services we sell do not deliver what the customer expects yet you have to move on and continue to sell without questioning it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They give you an offer letter. There was some wiggle room.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Happy Valley, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Process took about 90+ days . I was referred by a close previous friend/store manager

Interview Question – How do you solve comflitc.   Answer Question

Major Account Manager Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2009.

Interview Details – Extremely detailed. There were 5 interviews prior to a hiring offer. First interview was with local management (2), second interview was with Regional Management (1). I was then interviewed by other members of the management team (2) to see if they felt I was a good fit.

I was also required to spend a day in the field to make sure I understood nature of job. Also was critiqued by the individual with whom I was with. I thought this was the most helpful.

Interview Question – Didn't feel there was any I couldn't answer. Was really prepared for interviews and had researched the Company thoroughly.

My background in Purchasing Management with a previous company gave me insight to being in sales. As part of Purchasing Management with previous company, we administered the "Targeted Selection" interviewing process. This process helped us understand "previous behavior" equals "future behavior" so our questions to the applicants were very revealing. We also selected numerous management personnel to interview the person, then met as a group to discuss our thoughts. This, I believe, was why I didn't think there were any difficult questions when I interviewed @ OfficeMax.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Research and know the company. Focus on what your experience is that relates to the job for which you are applying.
Believe in yourself and exude confidence that you are the person for the job.

Category Manager Interview

Category Manager
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – The recruiters did a good job asking the standard questions and obtaining the expected initial personal information. The interview process included 5 separate interviews occurring on 3 separate days (excessive). The questions were not based on behavioral methodology and seemed to be more investigative in the respect that if I wasn't hired, the ideas and procedural accomplishments I provided would be used to improve their organization.

Interview Question – None. Very vanilla interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was over the phone with the HR contact. I declined the initial offer and counter-offered immediately. The HR contact was obviously given parameters on what would be accepted as we quickly came to an agreement.

Interviews for Top Jobs at OfficeMax