OfficeMax Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.3

Strategic Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I was contacted by an OfficeMax recruiter for a telephone interview. After the initial screening, I had an interview with the District Sales Manager. Immediately following that interview, I had an interview with the Ops District Manager. I had an offer the next day.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Online application. I got a call from the store team leader a couple of weeks later. The interview was pretty run of the mill. I had my first interview with the store team leader and had the second interview with the STL and district manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were ones that I had heard from other interviews so nothing about it took me by surprise.   Answer Question

Impress Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Low pay, lack of training, management doesn't care and you have to clean the bathrooms

Interview Questions
    • Can you print this now because I was lazy and waited until the last minute   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in December 2013.

I had a phone interview and was scheduled for a face to face interview. Once I was offered and accepted the position a background check and drug test were completed.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate for an additional $2 per hour and it was accepted.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

A Recruiter contacted me and we set up a phone interview. Then, I met up with the district manager and a store manager for a face to face interview. The recruiter kept in contact with me afterwards. I did not interview with the store manager of the store that I ended up at which I wish I had met with him prior to starting.

Copy and Print Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OfficeMax in November 2013.

Apply online then come in to store of choice to speak with hiring manager so they can pull your app and set up an interview. Once those steps are complete there are 2 interviews, first with the Assistant Manager and then with the General Manager. Negotiations with pay happen with the GM.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about pay and after negotiation with the manager he did not allow me time to get back to him. This put me on the spot and made it so I took lower pay then had intended.   View Answer
    They got me to accept by insisting that I would promote very quickly and the manager of the print shop was quitting. I took the lower pay due to that promise. I did not get that position even though I was doing the job after that manager was shortly fired after I was hired. They hired a replacement manager after 4 months promising to promote me else where.

Do not hire on with promises of promotion they only can pay 20 percent wage increase for internal hires no base. Hire in to the position you want!

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

I was called by the SM to setup an 1st interview. I felt the interview was well conducted. Questions asked were very basic.

A week later I received another call to interview with a second person, that interview was later canceled because the person that was suppose to do the interview wasn't able to conduct the interview. I was told that the ASM would conduct the interview instead. The interview with the ASM went well. The questions asked were very basic. The ASM did tell me that someone already employed at the store was applying for the same position.

A few days later I received a call asking me if I could come in and do the drug test that was required. After the test came back with a good result I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • The SM asked me a weirdly worded questions regarding ethics.   View Answer
    I wasn't able to negotiate, and was told that the offer was the highest that could be offered for that position even with my years of retail management experience.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

Normal interview for position, with detailed questions about P&L and metrics. Big focus on people development. Requirement of full compliment of skills and balance of qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • I expected at this level for the questions to be detailed and commensurate with the job level.   Answer Question

Sales Associate - Office Max Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

Why did you choose OfficeMax? Interview was very basic. Asked me about my availability, then continued onto what i did at my previous job, also how the job skills i learned can be put into play with the open position at OfficeMax. He asked me to Sale him a Bookshelf... (when they ask you to sell them an item, your job is to sell that item but ALSO add other things onto it aswell, in my case it was a lamp, warranty, if it was for a business include the services they had for business's)

Interview Questions
    • Sale me this bookshelf. Why should i hire you?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I applied online. Fairly standard corporate retail application with a long set of questions. About three weeks after I applied I got a phone call from one of the associates and I set up an interview. My first Interview was with the store manager in her office and it was very standard. After that interview she called me later in the day and set up an interview with the operations supervisor I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to keep a secret.   View Answer
    No negotiation at all