OfficeMax

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.3

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I completed an application found on officemax website, one day later I got a call from their recruiting department. I had a 30 minute phone interview and was immediately scheduled for a second phone interview with HR. the questions are the same typical questions all managers should be accustomed to; they want to know about your experience dealing with operations, staffing and and sales. I was scheduled for a third interview with the district manager at the location I would be running. My third interview was pretty much the same as the second interview. I had a fourth interview which was much more relaxed; after that interview i was told i had the job within 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • .What do you look for when You hire people? this is a hard question because of my experience of interviewing people that i though was a grate first that turned out to be disasters and vice versa. It is hard to truly tell how a candidate will perform during an interview and I dont want to say that during my interview so I usually give the normal corporate BS answer. I really look at the past experience of the candidate and grill them on how they handle different situations, how good are they with coaching and following up on commitments.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Happy Valley, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Happy Valley, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Process took about 90+ days . I was referred by a close previous friend/store manager

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in January 2014.

Put in an application with the in-store kiosk, got a call about 2 weeks later over the phone and set up an interview for Thursday (the next day) did a drug screen that same day and was called in for training on Sunday.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your idea of good customer service?   View Answer

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

The recruiters did a good job asking the standard questions and obtaining the expected initial personal information. The interview process included 5 separate interviews occurring on 3 separate days (excessive). The questions were not based on behavioral methodology and seemed to be more investigative in the respect that if I wasn't hired, the ideas and procedural accomplishments I provided would be used to improve their organization.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was over the phone with the HR contact. I declined the initial offer and counter-offered immediately. The HR contact was obviously given parameters on what would be accepted as we quickly came to an agreement.

Strategic Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I was contacted by an OfficeMax recruiter for a telephone interview. After the initial screening, I had an interview with the District Sales Manager. Immediately following that interview, I had an interview with the Ops District Manager. I had an offer the next day.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Online application. I got a call from the store team leader a couple of weeks later. The interview was pretty run of the mill. I had my first interview with the store team leader and had the second interview with the STL and district manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were ones that I had heard from other interviews so nothing about it took me by surprise.   Answer Question

Impress Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Low pay, lack of training, management doesn't care and you have to clean the bathrooms

Interview Questions
    • Can you print this now because I was lazy and waited until the last minute   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in December 2013.

I had a phone interview and was scheduled for a face to face interview. Once I was offered and accepted the position a background check and drug test were completed.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate for an additional $2 per hour and it was accepted.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

A Recruiter contacted me and we set up a phone interview. Then, I met up with the district manager and a store manager for a face to face interview. The recruiter kept in contact with me afterwards. I did not interview with the store manager of the store that I ended up at which I wish I had met with him prior to starting.

Copy and Print Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OfficeMax in November 2013.

Apply online then come in to store of choice to speak with hiring manager so they can pull your app and set up an interview. Once those steps are complete there are 2 interviews, first with the Assistant Manager and then with the General Manager. Negotiations with pay happen with the GM.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about pay and after negotiation with the manager he did not allow me time to get back to him. This put me on the spot and made it so I took lower pay then had intended.   View Answer
    They got me to accept by insisting that I would promote very quickly and the manager of the print shop was quitting. I took the lower pay due to that promise. I did not get that position even though I was doing the job after that manager was shortly fired after I was hired. They hired a replacement manager after 4 months promising to promote me else where.

Do not hire on with promises of promotion they only can pay 20 percent wage increase for internal hires no base. Hire in to the position you want!