OfficeMax

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Bakersfield, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in June 2010.

Interview Details – Structured interview guide, mostly the same questions that most employers utilize. Decision usually made at store level.

Interview Question – Try selling me something, it's a hard question to ask someone that knows nothing about the products you sell.   View Answer

Sales Administrative Interview

Sales Administrative
Bristow, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2010.

Interview Details – CS experience a plus, experience in excel a must

Negotiation Details – Offered salary, accepted.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Merchandising Assistant
Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OfficeMax in September 2012.

Interview Details – I had a screening interview with one of the HR Recruiters. I then had a phone interview with a buyer. Finally I came into the office and interviewed with 3 different buyers.

Interview Question – The unexpected part of this interview was how many questions I had to ask. My interviewers would ask me a question and then ask if I had any questions. I felt like I was doing the interviewing!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was fairly easy - they offered me the highest pay range I was asking for.

Store Associate Interview

Store Associate
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – Put in an application with the in-store kiosk, got a call about 2 weeks later over the phone and set up an interview for Thursday (the next day) did a drug screen that same day and was called in for training on Sunday.

Interview Question – What would be your idea of good customer service?   View Answer

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Merchandising Assistant
Itasca, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in June 2010.

Interview Details – submitted info through staffing agency had face to face interview

Interview Question – What I didn't like about my current position/last position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous

I applied through other source and interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – changes inside the company from one position to another are encouraged but, should be based more on performance and work ethic than what questions you can answer.

Interview Question – rather not give questions and answers   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2013.

Interview Details – One interview with the store manager. Asked good questions and I was able to answer them all. Got a call just a couple days later for an offer

Interview Question – any of the "what did you do in this situation"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very easy. i got paid more than i asked for

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2013.

Interview Details – It was a rushed process. They were very desperate and were looking for warm bodies. It was suppose to be two interviews that was condensed into one. After the interview I completed a personality test then a drug test. Waited to weeks for the back ground test. Then I was hired.

Interview Question – How do you plan to sell our many services available to our customers.   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by the SM to setup an 1st interview. I felt the interview was well conducted. Questions asked were very basic.

A week later I received another call to interview with a second person, that interview was later canceled because the person that was suppose to do the interview wasn't able to conduct the interview. I was told that the ASM would conduct the interview instead. The interview with the ASM went well. The questions asked were very basic. The ASM did tell me that someone already employed at the store was applying for the same position.

A few days later I received a call asking me if I could come in and do the drug test that was required. After the test came back with a good result I was offered the job.

Interview Question – The SM asked me a weirdly worded questions regarding ethics.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate, and was told that the offer was the highest that could be offered for that position even with my years of retail management experience.

ImPress Specialist Interview

ImPress Specialist
Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the then Assistant Manager, he was courteous and knowledgeable, though did seem like he was just going through the motions of another interview. Pretty standard questions that go along with customer service style jobs. Was asked about print/design experience, sales experience and general computer knowledge. Was shown a product and was asked how I would 'up-sell' that product. Total interview was around 15 minutes, which included a few interruptions from employees since we were in the middle of the small break room.

Interview Question – Being asked to up-sell items. I'm a firm believer that most people come in knowing what they want. If a customer asks what I recommend I have no problem educating them on products, but if people just need a pen and paper, who am I to talk them in to also buying a printer and photo paper and ink...etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal. Was told the job paid $10 an hour (which I expected) and countered that anything less than $11.00 would cause me to lose money due to the drive from my home. They agreed to $11.00