OfficeMax

2.5

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I had an panel interview that spand about 6 hours. The interview started at 8am and anded at 3pm. I met with Mangersfrom four different areas of the business. The facilitatior was nice and accomodating.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult questions really. Lots of process questions.   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

The recruiters did a good job asking the standard questions and obtaining the expected initial personal information. The interview process included 5 separate interviews occurring on 3 separate days (excessive). The questions were not based on behavioral methodology and seemed to be more investigative in the respect that if I wasn't hired, the ideas and procedural accomplishments I provided would be used to improve their organization.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was over the phone with the HR contact. I declined the initial offer and counter-offered immediately. The HR contact was obviously given parameters on what would be accepted as we quickly came to an agreement.

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2013.

Interview process was fairly smooth, 2 calls with the recuirter, interview with Hiring Director, Direct Manager and 2 long standing co-workers. Offer was made within a 1 week timeframe, we went back and forth for about 2 days exchanging proposals and was hired within a 1.5 week timeframe from intial offer.

Manager, Assistant Category Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in January 2013.

OM contacted me to set up an interview on the phone. The first time the did not call me, so I contacted OM again asking to have a time set up. The second time they did not call either. Finally on the third time OM called me as planned. After that I came into the HQ in Illinois to interview with a handful of differnet people in 20-30 minute increments. After that a manager called me again for another interview, as well as a HR represenative. Then was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot remember any difficult questions, all standard.   Answer Question

Too much uncertainty with the merger of OfficeMax & Office Depot at the time.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax in September 2012.

I had a screening interview with one of the HR Recruiters. I then had a phone interview with a buyer. Finally I came into the office and interviewed with 3 different buyers.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected part of this interview was how many questions I had to ask. My interviewers would ask me a question and then ask if I had any questions. I felt like I was doing the interviewing!   Answer Question
    It was fairly easy - they offered me the highest pay range I was asking for.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in August 2012.

I applied online & was contacted by HR about a week later to discuss my experience. Was then set up with an in person interview a week later with 4 different people - 30 minutes each. First was the hiring manager. The rest were people that work with the team (though one person had only been there 4 days). About a week later was contacted to set up a final interview with one more person. That in person interview turned to a phone interview bc of schedule issues and was only about 20 minutes long. About a week later HR called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected at all. Mostly going over my experiences and explaining how my skills could be a good fit for the new job.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the salary an extra $2k. Not able to negotiate vacation time.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OfficeMax in July 2012.

The interview process was streamlined and efficient. I was able to meet with the executive team all in one day to maximize my time and theirs.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you deal with difficult personalities.   Answer Question

ECommerce J2EE Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at OfficeMax in March 2012.

I met up with OfficeMax at a career fair at my college. After about a week or so, I received a call from one of the recruitors asking me some pre-interview questions. I waited about two or three days until I heard back from her again. After those two or three days, she called again about scheduling an interview time and where it was. I received the interview information through email with the itinerary. I went into the interview about 15 minutes early and had to have a badge made. After waiting about 20 minutes, I was escorted to a conference room. I interviewed with 3 developers and 1 HR person. They all asked a variety of questions pertaining to my knowledge about the material and asked about my resume and work. One person in particular asked a couple of difficult questions. She was a very aggressive interviewer. When I didn't know the answer she helped out and tried to push me through. I kept notes of what I didn't know so I could look them up later.

You speak with each person for about 20 minutes each. It's almost like a rotation. Once they are done, they leave and the next person comes up. When talking to the HR person at the end, she explained all the benefits and then asked one question. "Does OfficeMax have a capital or lower case M?"

After that, I was escorted outside. I took about 5 or 6 weeks until they got back in contact with me again. I sent out about 4 emails within that time span with no answer. I gave up and figured I didn't get the job. However, I received a call saying they were having HR issues and they apologize for any inconvienence. I ended up accepting the job after going back and forth between another offer at the time.

Interview Questions
    When coming to negoiating, make you sure you push them hard. If they want you they will give you the money. However, don't come up with a ridiculous ampunt of money. They help you through the process and actaully advice you to come up with a counter offer if you don't like it.

Retail Lease Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in December 2011.

Had an initial phone interview and then was invited in for an in-person interview. The interview wasn't very technical and felt more casual. We discussed the responsibilities of the role and how my prior experience related. It seemed like they were looking for someone that had a passion for the job. One week after the interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any difficult questions. They just wanted to get a feel for my past experiences and also my passion for this type of job. Was asked why I had a passion for real estate and why I wanted to leave my current employer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in October 2011.

Met them at a career fair, they seemed really nice and really appealing place to work for. They made it clear it wasn't going to be the easiest job, but they were looking for good people that could get it done. I decided it sounded interesting to me so I applied.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was difficult for me. Lots of different interviewers came in with their own questions and concerns. They asked really specific questions on a language I hadn't touched in a while. For example, given the language and a segment of code, will it compile/work/give you the output you want.   Answer Question