OfficeMax

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was first presented to the controller through a head hunter. After the initial screening, I was invited to an on-site interview. The interview consists about one hour. I met with 4 different individulas. They were not necessarily the hiring managers, but they were the ones with whom I would work.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a process and a procedure?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At that time, I already had offere from another company but with further commute. I told the controller I needed to get the offer by end of week. The offer did not come end of week but came on Monday. I ended up working a few days at the first company that I accepted the offer and had to resign for this one.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor
Naperville, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – I had an panel interview that spand about 6 hours. The interview started at 8am and anded at 3pm. I met with Mangersfrom four different areas of the business. The facilitatior was nice and accomodating.

Interview Question – Not difficult questions really. Lots of process questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Assistant Category Interview

Manager, Assistant Category
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – OM contacted me to set up an interview on the phone. The first time the did not call me, so I contacted OM again asking to have a time set up. The second time they did not call either. Finally on the third time OM called me as planned. After that I came into the HQ in Illinois to interview with a handful of differnet people in 20-30 minute increments. After that a manager called me again for another interview, as well as a HR represenative. Then was given an offer.

Interview Question – Cannot remember any difficult questions, all standard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too much uncertainty with the merger of OfficeMax & Office Depot at the time.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was streamlined and efficient. I was able to meet with the executive team all in one day to maximize my time and theirs.

Interview Question – Tell me about how you deal with difficult personalities.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Brand Manager Interview

Brand Manager
Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was called in by the OfficeMax recruiter. I was a suggestion from current employees. I interviewed once and presented an offer. Very casual interview.

Interview Question – When can you start?   Answer Question

Retail Lease Analyst Interview

Retail Lease Analyst
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in December 2011.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview and then was invited in for an in-person interview. The interview wasn't very technical and felt more casual. We discussed the responsibilities of the role and how my prior experience related. It seemed like they were looking for someone that had a passion for the job. One week after the interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions. They just wanted to get a feel for my past experiences and also my passion for this type of job. Was asked why I had a passion for real estate and why I wanted to leave my current employer.   Answer Question

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Assistant Category Manager
Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was fairly smooth, 2 calls with the recuirter, interview with Hiring Director, Direct Manager and 2 long standing co-workers. Offer was made within a 1 week timeframe, we went back and forth for about 2 days exchanging proposals and was hired within a 1.5 week timeframe from intial offer.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Merchandising Assistant
Naperville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OfficeMax in September 2012.

Interview Details – I had a screening interview with one of the HR Recruiters. I then had a phone interview with a buyer. Finally I came into the office and interviewed with 3 different buyers.

Interview Question – The unexpected part of this interview was how many questions I had to ask. My interviewers would ask me a question and then ask if I had any questions. I felt like I was doing the interviewing!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was fairly easy - they offered me the highest pay range I was asking for.

Category Manager Interview

Category Manager
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – The recruiters did a good job asking the standard questions and obtaining the expected initial personal information. The interview process included 5 separate interviews occurring on 3 separate days (excessive). The questions were not based on behavioral methodology and seemed to be more investigative in the respect that if I wasn't hired, the ideas and procedural accomplishments I provided would be used to improve their organization.

Interview Question – None. Very vanilla interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was over the phone with the HR contact. I declined the initial offer and counter-offered immediately. The HR contact was obviously given parameters on what would be accepted as we quickly came to an agreement.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Naperville, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2011.

Interview Details – Met them at a career fair, they seemed really nice and really appealing place to work for. They made it clear it wasn't going to be the easiest job, but they were looking for good people that could get it done. I decided it sounded interesting to me so I applied.

Interview Question – The interview was difficult for me. Lots of different interviewers came in with their own questions and concerns. They asked really specific questions on a language I hadn't touched in a while. For example, given the language and a segment of code, will it compile/work/give you the output you want.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax interview questions and advice in Naperville, IL. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees and interview candidates.