OfficeMax

Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.0

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I had trouble finding the online application at first as officemax and office depot recently joined and it kept telling me to go to the Office Depot web site. I finally found the application and applied online and was contacted within two weeks for an interview. I interviewed with the hiring managers together.

Other Interview Reviews for OfficeMax

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Basically they just ask you questions about yourself, and why you feel qualified to work for Officemax. They'll ask you a series of questions and ask you how you would handle the situation, or how you have handled situations dealing with decision making etc. in the past

Interview Questions
    • They'll ask you to sell them something around you   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. I got called back in a few days to do a 1-on-1 interview. The guy was pretty chill, we talked a bit about video games and computer stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me typical interview questions. Asked about the specs on my laptop.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Simply had an in person interview with the store manager and got in.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OfficeMax in March 2014.

Saw job online applied, got a phone call about three days later. Had first interview went really great! I was asked simple questions about situations at previous job/ jobs. Just answer to the best of your ability. Make sure to be outgoing (smile,be friendly, and happy). Then got scheduled that day for second interview. The second interview was even easier than the first interview, the questions asked during second interview were pretty much the same as the first in my circumstance. Except when I was asked about how I feel about reward programs, and MaxAssurance. My first interview i would say lasted about fifteen minutes, and my second interview was about 5-10 minutes. I got a phone call that same day after second interview that I got the job!

Interview Questions
    if you are a good negotiator i recommend trying to raise your pay, if possible.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax.

I applied online. Fairly standard corporate retail application with a long set of questions. About three weeks after I applied I got a phone call from one of the associates and I set up an interview. My first Interview was with the store manager in her office and it was very standard. After that interview she called me later in the day and set up an interview with the operations supervisor I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to keep a secret.   View Answer
    No negotiation at all

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online – interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2013.

You apply online and choose the position you're applying for amongst the available list. A week or two later they may call you if they find your application and resume is interesting. The interview process depends with each store's recruit manager. I had two interviews at different OfficeMax locations. In one of them the interview was really casual and laid back. We talked mostly about my previous job experiences, education, the duties of the job and whether I'd be committed to the hours, which where early morning. The other interview on one hand, was more of your standard generic Q&A interview that required giving examples and not generalizing them. Describe what makes a good sales associate, tell of a time when you took initiative action, and so on so forth. So be prepared for either approach. It doesn't matter if you walk in with a nice suit and tie, if you can't answer these questions appropriately it just makes you look silly. Most of the employee dress casual uniform anyway, polo shirts with khakis, so try not over dress. Even though when you walk into the store an it seems laid back and quiet, the employers describe the job as rigorous and demanding.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax in October 2012.

It was quick, almost too quick. The manager takes you to his office and asks you about 3-5 questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online – interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2012.

Applied online, got a call back from the hiring manager and set up an interview time.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty easy. I was asked to sell the chair I was sitting in to him (the hiring manager).   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase, it was either take it or leave it, this is what we are offering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax in June 2012.

One singular interview the the manager, a through back ground check, and a drug test. The key with this company is be honest about your history. I know multiple employees who would have been hired if they hadn't lied about previous criminal history. The boss didn't care, but he needed them to report it so that he could hire them. Instead, they lied and didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • No especially difficult questions, let them do most of the talking.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because I had several other jobs on the table at the time and didn't think I would be choosing this one over the others. My offer came back as high as starting salaries for my position go.