OfficeMax

Getting the Interview

41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at OfficeMax

Interview Details – Simply had an in person interview with the store manager and got in.

Interview Question – Describe your sales personality   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax in March 2014.

Interview Details – Saw job online applied, got a phone call about three days later. Had first interview went really great! I was asked simple questions about situations at previous job/ jobs. Just answer to the best of your ability. Make sure to be outgoing (smile,be friendly, and happy). Then got scheduled that day for second interview. The second interview was even easier than the first interview, the questions asked during second interview were pretty much the same as the first in my circumstance. Except when I was asked about how I feel about reward programs, and MaxAssurance. My first interview i would say lasted about fifteen minutes, and my second interview was about 5-10 minutes. I got a phone call that same day after second interview that I got the job!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – if you are a good negotiator i recommend trying to raise your pay, if possible.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2009.

Interview Details – Come in, meet with manager and wa-la you should have the job.

Interview Question – why officemax   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – I applied online. Fairly standard corporate retail application with a long set of questions. About three weeks after I applied I got a phone call from one of the associates and I set up an interview. My first Interview was with the store manager in her office and it was very standard. After that interview she called me later in the day and set up an interview with the operations supervisor I would be working with.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you had to keep a secret.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all

Chesapeake, VA

I applied online - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call back from the hiring manager and set up an interview time.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty easy. I was asked to sell the chair I was sitting in to him (the hiring manager).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase, it was either take it or leave it, this is what we are offering.

Very Easy Interview

Flower Mound, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on 9/10, got the interview the following day, and was hired one day later. Very simple process. They clearly needed more people on the floor, and being in high school I was glad to take any position they could offer.

Interview Question – What would you see with a laptop?   View Answer

Eagan, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2009.

Interview Details – I first applied online, and then received a phone call to set up an in person interview. I first interview with the assistant store manager, and then interviewed with the GM. Interview questions were pretty standard, and focused on behavioral questions as well as past experience in retail.

Interview Question – What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Honolulu, HI

I applied online - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – You apply online and choose the position you're applying for amongst the available list. A week or two later they may call you if they find your application and resume is interesting. The interview process depends with each store's recruit manager. I had two interviews at different OfficeMax locations. In one of them the interview was really casual and laid back. We talked mostly about my previous job experiences, education, the duties of the job and whether I'd be committed to the hours, which where early morning. The other interview on one hand, was more of your standard generic Q&A interview that required giving examples and not generalizing them. Describe what makes a good sales associate, tell of a time when you took initiative action, and so on so forth. So be prepared for either approach. It doesn't matter if you walk in with a nice suit and tie, if you can't answer these questions appropriately it just makes you look silly. Most of the employee dress casual uniform anyway, polo shirts with khakis, so try not over dress. Even though when you walk into the store an it seems laid back and quiet, the employers describe the job as rigorous and demanding.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you took initiative action?   Answer Question

Suffolk, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2011.

Interview Details – The manager read her nervier questions from a sheet that I'm sure you could find on the Internet or from any old employee handbook. Prepare yourself for these and you're in.

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate anything.

Mechanicsville, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in August 2009.

Interview Details – Apply online then after a successful background check received a call for an in person interview. Interview itself was fairly relaxed and conversational in tone. Discussed about when you have showed that you work well in a team/leading a team, ways you have overcome obstacles, and how you would approach new obstacles.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was what would you change about yourself and why.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at OfficeMax

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees and interview candidates.