OfficeMax Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.0

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pleasanton, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. I got called back in a few days to do a 1-on-1 interview. The guy was pretty chill, we talked a bit about video games and computer stuff.

Interview Questions
  • Asked me typical interview questions. Asked about the specs on my laptop.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for OfficeMax

Sales Associate Interview

Simply had an in person interview with the store manager and got in.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax in March 2014.

Saw job online applied, got a phone call about three days later. Had first interview went really great! I was asked simple questions about situations at previous job/ jobs. Just answer to the best of your ability. Make sure to be outgoing (smile,be friendly, and happy). Then got scheduled that day for second interview. The second interview was even easier than the first interview, the questions asked during second interview were pretty much the same as the first in my circumstance. Except when I was asked about how I feel about reward programs, and MaxAssurance. My first interview i would say lasted about fifteen minutes, and my second interview was about 5-10 minutes. I got a phone call that same day after second interview that I got the job!

Interview Questions
    if you are a good negotiator i recommend trying to raise your pay, if possible.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

I applied online. Fairly standard corporate retail application with a long set of questions. About three weeks after I applied I got a phone call from one of the associates and I set up an interview. My first Interview was with the store manager in her office and it was very standard. After that interview she called me later in the day and set up an interview with the operations supervisor I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to keep a secret.   View Answer
    No negotiation at all

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2013.

You apply online and choose the position you're applying for amongst the available list. A week or two later they may call you if they find your application and resume is interesting. The interview process depends with each store's recruit manager. I had two interviews at different OfficeMax locations. In one of them the interview was really casual and laid back. We talked mostly about my previous job experiences, education, the duties of the job and whether I'd be committed to the hours, which where early morning. The other interview on one hand, was more of your standard generic Q&A interview that required giving examples and not generalizing them. Describe what makes a good sales associate, tell of a time when you took initiative action, and so on so forth. So be prepared for either approach. It doesn't matter if you walk in with a nice suit and tie, if you can't answer these questions appropriately it just makes you look silly. Most of the employee dress casual uniform anyway, polo shirts with khakis, so try not over dress. Even though when you walk into the store an it seems laid back and quiet, the employers describe the job as rigorous and demanding.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2012.

It was quick, almost too quick. The manager takes you to his office and asks you about 3-5 questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2012.

Applied online, got a call back from the hiring manager and set up an interview time.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty easy. I was asked to sell the chair I was sitting in to him (the hiring manager).   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase, it was either take it or leave it, this is what we are offering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in June 2012.

One singular interview the the manager, a through back ground check, and a drug test. The key with this company is be honest about your history. I know multiple employees who would have been hired if they hadn't lied about previous criminal history. The boss didn't care, but he needed them to report it so that he could hire them. Instead, they lied and didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • No especially difficult questions, let them do most of the talking.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because I had several other jobs on the table at the time and didn't think I would be choosing this one over the others. My offer came back as high as starting salaries for my position go.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Skokie, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in May 2012.

Application is online, and you receive a call to schedule an appoint if you're selected. Best time to apply is early in the summer, before the back to school season. My process was a single interview, after which I was told to schedule a day for training. I met with both the assistant manager and the store manager during my interview, though the focus of the interview was on the assistant manager. The store manager merely rehashed the information, and asked a couple of questions. The questions included asking me about my previous experience and my future goals ("Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"). The interview took 20 minutes and I was allowed to ask all of my questions, and received answers for all of them as well.

Interview Questions
    • I was handed a pen and asked to sell it to the interviewer.   View Answer
    Being an entry level position, I chose not to negotiate. The job is minimum wage, but I was told about performance metrics that would allow me to earn extra money. I did not concern myself too much with the salary, so I am unaware on if it is possible to negotiate a higher salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perrysburg, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in April 2012.

2 interviews one with the assist manager who was nice, who i knew from doing merchandising, the other with the ops supervisor on my so called "selling skills"
    1st interview went good, 2nd interview was odd because i haven't sold anything in retail for a while. I guess my selling was not good since i was stuck up on register for the duration of my stay at omax.

Interview Questions
    • sell something to the interviewer in this room   View Answer
    there was none, i was told what i was getting, needed

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!