OfficeMax

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – I was working for the company already as an assistant store manager when I was referred to the district manager for promotion. Our district manager interviewed every assistant store manager to get a bearing on where his district talent stood. Apparently he picked me and another candidate as his top two. About nine months later is was called for an interview for the store manager position by the district manager. He asked me primarily what I had learned under the two store managers I worked for. He asked what I might do differently than they did. He also asked me what kind of plans I would make for turning around a slow store in our district. There are other things he asked by I cannot recall all of them.

Interview Question – What would you change about your current store manager's policy or expectations?   View Answer

Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in April 2010.

Interview Details – Know your numbers, be prepared. Be able to speak to driving Sales and producing results as well as training others. Be a leader of change. Expect up to three interviews, sometimes with Store Managers as well as with District Manager.

Interview Question – Questions are not difficult unless you cannot speak to driving a selling culture.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

Interview Details – Normal interview for position, with detailed questions about P&L and metrics. Big focus on people development. Requirement of full compliment of skills and balance of qualifications.

Interview Question – I expected at this level for the questions to be detailed and commensurate with the job level.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – I completed an application found on officemax website, one day later I got a call from their recruiting department. I had a 30 minute phone interview and was immediately scheduled for a second phone interview with HR. the questions are the same typical questions all managers should be accustomed to; they want to know about your experience dealing with operations, staffing and and sales. I was scheduled for a third interview with the district manager at the location I would be running. My third interview was pretty much the same as the second interview. I had a fourth interview which was much more relaxed; after that interview i was told i had the job within 30 minutes.

Interview Question – .What do you look for when You hire people? this is a hard question because of my experience of interviewing people that i though was a grate first that turned out to be disasters and vice versa. It is hard to truly tell how a candidate will perform during an interview and I dont want to say that during my interview so I usually give the normal corporate BS answer. I really look at the past experience of the candidate and grill them on how they handle different situations, how good are they with coaching and following up on commitments.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Regional HR, Then DM and LP

Interview Question – What does the perfect sales team consist of?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they were open and honest about pay abilities and increase if the right person where hired. I came in at top scale with my experience level.

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Interviewed as an Assistant Manager for Logistics. position later changed to Assistant Store Manager. Later promoted to Store Manager.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions, was interviewed at a job fair for a new location. First interview was with a store manager from the district followed by an interview with the District Manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was asked what I expected for pay in addition to standard benefit package. I quoted a number and they took that. Learned later that I offered a low number and they jumped on it.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a regional hr recruiter to schedule a phone interview. The day of the interview I called and left a voice mail message. The recruiter called me back about 30 minutes later and stated she had no record of my scheduled phone interview, but said she had time if I had time. We spoke for about an hour and the end of the interview, I was informed that my résumé and interview notes would be passed on to the local regional manager for the store that had the opening. A week has gone by and I never heard anything!!! Not an over all positive impression of the recruiting process.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online
Received call from corp recruiter.
Phone interview
in person DM interview
Job offer
Negotiate salary wisely you will be working 60/70 hrs/week.

Interview Question – on floor role play experience to see how you sell.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask for what you deserve and is industry fair. They will low ball you every time.

Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Traditional hiring process. Interviewing has changed some based on the position. About 4 interviews for the Store Manager position including a group interview. It is a long process and there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency.

Interview Question – Nothing to out of the ordinary. Be ready to back your statements up with numbers. This is a number driven company. Be prepared to speak to selling strategies and best practices.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it.

Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews. Offer extended via phone

Interview Question – project completed under pressure. what was outcome   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!