Ogilvy & Mather Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated May 6, 2014

2.8

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in March 2012.

I was contacted by a hiring manager on Linkedin for an opening. She called me for a phone interview on a Tuesday despite writing in an email reply that I was only free to speak with her on Thursday due to personal errands. Apparently, she did not take this clarification well.

On the phone call, when discussing my background she frequently interrupted and kept badgering me if I was familiar with banner ads and kept implying all my other background is useless.

For the interview, instead of printing out my Resume/CV I provided to her, she basically prints out my entire Linkedin profile for the interviewers, which effectively set me up to fail. As in the industry, many advert staff are adverse to reading so they asked me to summarise my entire CV before asking irrelevant questions about the job. I was able to give them a hard copy of my CV when I realised what the hiring manager did but only 1 of the interviewers actually took it back with them while the others left.

The worst interviewer was a girl who kept texting on her blackberry during the entire interview despite professing to be listening. At that point I wasn't sure if I was actually interviewing at Ogilvy & Mather in New York City or some small shop in the middle of Princeton, NJ given the lack of professionalism in the interviewing process up to that point.

The last interviewer seemed to be impressed with my background and kept mentioning that "[I was] so smart!". However, he then followed with questions asking why I didn't become a journalist and decided to be in marketing/advertising. The worst part was he never got it after explaining financial considerations, being impressed by the work David Ogilvy and others did during the golden age of advertising or how influential Ridley Scott's "1984" advert was.

At the end of the interview, the hiring manager didn't bother to speak with me and I was expected to escort myself out of the office. About a week later, I received a canned email from that hiring manager saying they chose someone else for the second round after "difficult consideration".

Interview Questions
  • "You're so smart! Why didn't you becoming a journalist? I don't mean to be insulting or anything."   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Ogilvy & Mather

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in March 2011.

I went into the interview thinking I was going for one brand, and it turns out I was interviewing 3 different groups of people for 3 different positions. It was confusing, and their HR department seems really scattered and disorganized. I left and then was called back for what I thought was a 2nd interview, but it turns out I was interviewing for 2 more positions. I did not get any of them because they hired someone with exact experience- even though one of the women was telling me straight up she wanted me on her team. Over all it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in April 2011.

Began with a phone interview, followed by an in person interview. Received phone call approximately two weeks later to schedule another in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell how your experience at your previous job related to the position we are hiring for   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in July 2008.

The interview went really well and initial feedback from the recruiter was excellent. I really had my hopes up. They said they hoped to have an answer within a few days, so I followed up...and followed up....and followed up.....and followed up and they kept telling me "soon we will have a decision soon." They either filled the position with someone other than me or it never came to fruition. I just felt that they could have informed me either way instead of stringing me along for so long.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in June 2010.

phone screen with HR - In-person with Account Manager - Negotiations with HR

Interview Questions

salary - too low.. after interviewing me for the account executive role they wanted to enroll me as a trainee. I had too many loans riding my back by-then to start up a new job from the trainee level. sadly - i had to decline

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in May 2009.

The interview was a breeze. Standard behavioural and run of the mill 'Tell me about yourself and run me through your resume' questions. I was hoping for creative challenges and none come my way. This was perhaps driven by the desperation to hire a candidate for the position I was being interviewed for. Very personable interviewer who later went on to become my manager. They were assessing me for self confidence and communication related competencies since this was a role within Client Servicing.

No negotiations. I tried my best. Entry level advertising salaries are disastrously low.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather.

I applied online and first had a phone interview in october for a community manager position. spoke with the Executive Director of Social Media over the phone, however timing didn't workout and I had just accepted another job. I heard from Ogilvy again in January from an Account Director who said the Executive Director I had previously spoken with had referred me for another position in his department. After a brief phone call, I was invited in for an in person interview.

My first interview was 2 weeks after my phone call and was fairly standard, nothing out of the ordinary. Standard questions about my experience with account management. At this interview, I was told I was to be put forward for a second interview over the phone with the Executive DIrector of Social Media (same one who had referred me for the position). After following up with the Account Director one a week for 3 weeks, I offered to set up the phone call myself, as I still had her contact details.

My second interview was a brief 15 min phone call. I was asked a few questions about my community management and social media experience. I was also asked if I could do one thing to increase engagement for the specific client i would be working for, what would I do? She seemed to really like my response and said she would touch base with the Account Director hiring me.

Another 3 weeks went by, I followed up twice and no response, the third time, I did receive a response and was told I would be having a third interview with the managing director of Ogilvy Toronto. It was a very pleasant interview. I was told I was perfect for the role and I would hear in 2-3 days with their final decision. I followed up with the Account Director, saying Thank you and letting him know if I could provide anything further to help them with their decision. I received a response saying they were hoping to get back to me next week.
    10 days went by and I did not hear, so I followed up and received no response. Another week went by and I followed up again with no response. After 4 weeks had gone by after my final interview, I decided to call. Upon requesting to speak with the Account Director, I was informed he was no longer with the company. The receptionist was very sweet and took down all my information and said I would hear back in 24hrs. I waited the rest of the week and didn't hear anything. Called back the following Monday and this time spoke with the Managing Director I had met with a month ago. She was very pleased to hear from me and apologized for the delay in getting back to me, that she had absolutely loved meeting me, however had assumed I was too expensive. She apologized for assuming such a thing. We discussed my salary expectations and she told me to leave this with her and she would get back to me. She had met with 2 other people and was waiting to hear back from them. I finished the call feeling very conflicted.

The next morning I received an email from the managing director with my offer of employment. I gave her a call and she told me that after thinking about it for a while, she loved my attitude, thought I was perfect for the position and that she would be thrilled to have me. She then asked for references. She called them the next day.

There was no negotiation, after 4 months of interviewing I was eager to accept.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in January 2008.

interview was tiring and a waste of time. went to the office 5 times for 5 separate sessions

Interview Questions

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!