Ogilvy & Mather

108 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Craftsmen of Culture Internship Interview

Craftsmen of Culture Internship

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather.

Interview Details – Went from being an in person interview, to a skype interview to a phone interview. Asked questions related to Ogilvy & Mather's core principles. Be well read on different accounts they've worked on, their mission and how you fit into that.

Intern, Social@Ogilvy Interview

Intern, Social@Ogilvy
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather.

Interview Details – Applied through a recruiter and went through a phone interview and then in-person. I was taken into a cluttered room and asked the same questions over and over again.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation of the salary.

Art Director Interview

Art Director
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather.

Interview Details – Got back to me briefly and asked me to come in for an interview.

Interview Question – Quite expected for a design interview.   Answer Question

Art Director Interview

Art Director
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather.

Interview Details – Standard interview process. Was a little slower than expected.

Interview Question – Questions were standard, no surprises.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview with HR Manager, who strongly recommended me to the department head. clear definition of competencies and challenges of role, how best to succeed, and the climate and culture of the organization.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Be pro and know how to strongly indicate your understanding of the company, industry, and how you can best contribute to the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was made apparent I was the best candidate so I had some leverage. They claimed budget restraints, which were accurate, but they can always stretch those with a call to finance. If they are willing to make you an offer, they are willing to sweeten it. I got 15% more as a result.

Copy Editor Interview

Copy Editor
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in June 2012.

Interview Details – While the folks here were nice, their interview process was strange considering this was a job to be on call for them. At best, it was part-time, yet they made folks jump through hoops, interviewing dozens of folks, as if they were hiring a full-time staff person.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult, but it was a lengthy process that was not worth it considering the job was intermittent.   Answer Question

Informational Interview for Potential PR Openings Interview

Informational Interview for Potential PR Openings
Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in June 2012.

Interview Details – I met someone on LinkedIn who sent my resume to her boss. They called me in for an information interview with HR and the PR department. I Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. I think it went really well and I still keep in touch with both of them. The HR lady was more rigid and went through my resume and asked me lots of the normal questions. The PR lady was super nice and seemed interested in my background.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you wanted something different than the group.

What is your biggest weakness?

Know an exact example that you can say you took from each experience on your resume.
  Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a hiring manager on Linkedin for an opening. She called me for a phone interview on a Tuesday despite writing in an email reply that I was only free to speak with her on Thursday due to personal errands. Apparently, she did not take this clarification well.

On the phone call, when discussing my background she frequently interrupted and kept badgering me if I was familiar with banner ads and kept implying all my other background is useless.

For the interview, instead of printing out my Resume/CV I provided to her, she basically prints out my entire Linkedin profile for the interviewers, which effectively set me up to fail. As in the industry, many advert staff are adverse to reading so they asked me to summarise my entire CV before asking irrelevant questions about the job. I was able to give them a hard copy of my CV when I realised what the hiring manager did but only 1 of the interviewers actually took it back with them while the others left.

The worst interviewer was a girl who kept texting on her blackberry during the entire interview despite professing to be listening. At that point I wasn't sure if I was actually interviewing at Ogilvy & Mather in New York City or some small shop in the middle of Princeton, NJ given the lack of professionalism in the interviewing process up to that point.

The last interviewer seemed to be impressed with my background and kept mentioning that "[I was] so smart!". However, he then followed with questions asking why I didn't become a journalist and decided to be in marketing/advertising. The worst part was he never got it after explaining financial considerations, being impressed by the work David Ogilvy and others did during the golden age of advertising or how influential Ridley Scott's "1984" advert was.

At the end of the interview, the hiring manager didn't bother to speak with me and I was expected to escort myself out of the office. About a week later, I received a canned email from that hiring manager saying they chose someone else for the second round after "difficult consideration".

Interview Question – "You're so smart! Why didn't you becoming a journalist? I don't mean to be insulting or anything."   View Answer

Junior Art Director Interview

Junior Art Director
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in May 2010.

Interview Details – Direct email to the recruiter worked best for me. It all depends on how much you are interested in the company. If you know about them and have a good book, then no problem. Human resources was very helpful throughout the way.

Interview Question – Would you work freelance? What work do you like the most about Ogilvy? That's a hard question because their website is not very good at showing all of it's clients. So, it's not easy to see all of their work. You have to do the research elsewhere.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no, I didn't negotiate. I just accepted the offer. Ogilvy has good perks.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in April 2011.

Interview Details – A superday-styled full day assessment. Including 3 - 5 behavioral interviews, a group interview and a case presentation

Interview Question – The case presentation was the hardest part of the interview process. We were presented with a problem which we had to solve and then present to a panel that judged it and questioned us. We had to do all of this in 1 hour.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. Associates are hired on a fixed contract basis.