Ogilvy & Mather

2.9

Public Relations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in March 2012.

The interview was long. Had to meet with 3 different groups of two. They basically all asked the same questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • The 2 hour, yes 2 hour writing test they make you complete.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in March 2012.

I was contacted by a hiring manager on Linkedin for an opening. She called me for a phone interview on a Tuesday despite writing in an email reply that I was only free to speak with her on Thursday due to personal errands. Apparently, she did not take this clarification well.

On the phone call, when discussing my background she frequently interrupted and kept badgering me if I was familiar with banner ads and kept implying all my other background is useless.

For the interview, instead of printing out my Resume/CV I provided to her, she basically prints out my entire Linkedin profile for the interviewers, which effectively set me up to fail. As in the industry, many advert staff are adverse to reading so they asked me to summarise my entire CV before asking irrelevant questions about the job. I was able to give them a hard copy of my CV when I realised what the hiring manager did but only 1 of the interviewers actually took it back with them while the others left.

The worst interviewer was a girl who kept texting on her blackberry during the entire interview despite professing to be listening. At that point I wasn't sure if I was actually interviewing at Ogilvy & Mather in New York City or some small shop in the middle of Princeton, NJ given the lack of professionalism in the interviewing process up to that point.

The last interviewer seemed to be impressed with my background and kept mentioning that "[I was] so smart!". However, he then followed with questions asking why I didn't become a journalist and decided to be in marketing/advertising. The worst part was he never got it after explaining financial considerations, being impressed by the work David Ogilvy and others did during the golden age of advertising or how influential Ridley Scott's "1984" advert was.

At the end of the interview, the hiring manager didn't bother to speak with me and I was expected to escort myself out of the office. About a week later, I received a canned email from that hiring manager saying they chose someone else for the second round after "difficult consideration".

Interview Questions
    • "You're so smart! Why didn't you becoming a journalist? I don't mean to be insulting or anything."   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in February 2012.

It was more like a personality test than an interview. No questions about you, your experience, why marketing or even why Ogilvy. It felt very dry and like a standardized process. Be prepared with stories and lessons about "times you failed, times you dealt with conflict..."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in February 2012.

The application process was pretty much straightforward and everything was online.

The planning and appointment of the interview was very convenient as they came onto my campus to conduct it.

I had just one behavioural interview with them and it was your typical interview.

They asked me why Ogilvy and why I would be a good fit.

Typical behavioural questions like:

Tell me about a time when you went against the team.

Tell me about a time when you made a mistake.

Group Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in December 2011.

Recruiter, Phone interview with HR, In-person with team in New York

Assistant Seach Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in June 2011.

passed the phone interview and interviewed with the whole team for the position. 1 team member was really rude. She did show interest in what I was saying. kept cutting me while i was speaking. I alled the HR to follow up many times. She didnt write back to my emails nor did she call me back to let me know where I stood in the process. Obviosly it hadnt gone great but at least they could have been honest and told me they did nt want to move forward with me .

Digital Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in May 2011.

This was a referral, so the interview process itself was a little different. I was interviewed first by the HR person, with basic personal questions and then a mini-case question. I was then passed to a partner on the team I was interviewing for, for a 1:1, also with a mini-case.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in April 2011.

Began with a phone interview, followed by an in person interview. Received phone call approximately two weeks later to schedule another in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell how your experience at your previous job related to the position we are hiring for   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in April 2011.

A superday-styled full day assessment. Including 3 - 5 behavioral interviews, a group interview and a case presentation

Interview Questions
    • The case presentation was the hardest part of the interview process. We were presented with a problem which we had to solve and then present to a panel that judged it and questioned us. We had to do all of this in 1 hour.   Answer Question
    There was none. Associates are hired on a fixed contract basis.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ogilvy & Mather in March 2011.

The interviewer was very pleasant and friendly. The interview consisted of a variety of behavioral questions.