Ohio State University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Professor Interview

Associate Professor
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University in July 2008.

Interview Details – Recruited by Dept. Chair. Interview was very informal.

Negotiation Details – Research salaries and the different compensation structure that exists in Universities. Ask for startup funds and summer salary.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Human Resources Generalist
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University.

Interview Details – The person who interviewed me was very nice. She was a Director of HR. There was an initial phone interview (by the same person), and then I met her in person. I didn't get the job, but she called me personally to let me know. All of the questions were mostly behavioral interview questions.

Interview Question – Explain how you convinced someone to do something that they didn't want to do. What was the result? Would you have done anything differently?   View Answer

Graduate Assistant Interview

Graduate Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University in March 2011.

Interview Details – It is pre-selected; however, I believe that the initial phone interview plays an important role in graduate assistant selection.

Interview Question – Not applicable   Answer Question

BIM Assistant Interview

BIM Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University in May 2011.

Interview Details – Job was posted on the Engineering Career Services website through the university. I sent my resume via email after reviewing the content and requirements of the position. They called me back a few weeks later and were interested in an interview. Attended and was extended the job a few weeks afterward.

Interview Question – What kind of teamwork experience do you have?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The single offer was the only offer available due to the funding of the position.

Information Associate Interview

Information Associate
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University in December 2011.

Interview Details – Very long and lenghty interview process. Took over a month for my position due to the amount of applications submitted.

Interview Question – None that were too different than any other job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not even try.

Very Easy Interview

Events Manager/Program Supervisor Interview

Events Manager/Program Supervisor
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Ohio State University in December 2009.

Interview Details – Very informal discussion with the Manager of the Patron Services, as to wether i would stay or go. It was my decision to leave as i already have a full time job. Really enjoyed the peeps in Admin & in the technical workings of the Wex. Very professional & knowledgeable group, who really know how to put on a first class show, at least while i was there. I am not certain if the same staff is currently still there at this time.
Work culture is very university oriented & they are great at being very flexible schedule wise. A great place to intern as well as use as a launchiing site for other untiversity endeavors. great location on main campus @ OSU. Hourly rate is competitive with other part-time & temporary positions in the area.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in working with front of house or patron services?   Answer Question
  • Do you enjoy working with people and are you able to handle people in a problematic situation?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – As I mentioned before, I have a full time postion & with the economy dowturn, there were many others who needed the position much more than I did. It was essentially a position for extra money, entertainment & meeting new peeps. I must say, most of the peeps I met or worked with @ the Wex, are still either really close friends or acquaintances I see regularly.

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University in January 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter called me during evening, there is a 12 hours time difference between two countries. He asked every line and every word on my resume. It took more than 3 hours to finish the interview. The position is immediate, they want me to work there in the following month. I was not able to do so.

Interview Question – What is the first project after I got my BS degree?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Out of country position.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ohio State University in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was an amazing experience. I talked to the professor who runs the laboratory and also to the research scientists. Everyone was very respectful and considerate. The questions were mostly about my previous research experience and lab techniques, as well as why I am interested to join this lab.

Interview Question – What type of project would you like to work on?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really. This type of job does not offer a whole lot of room of negotiation.

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ohio State University in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed in a large conference room by several individuals. They were all easy going and friendly, so it wasn't a bad experience. They asked simple, general questions, most likely to find out more about my personality than the actual answer to the question. They interviewed 3 people in the span of 2 weeks, then called me and told me I got the job.

Facilities Staff Interview

Facilities Staff
Columbus, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ohio State University in July 2009.

Interview Details – Initial communications through proactive networking; required to also apply online; an interview was promptly scheduled; panel interview and participants were uninformed, did not have my resume and tried to apply behavior based interviewing questions ineffectively; one interviewer who was a direct hiring manager was confrontational, lacked professionalism, and common courtesy; culture lacks communications; they need to be more conscientious of how the organization is represented; ensure timely and clear communications; extended an offer 2+ months later after a series of internal circumstances partially due to policy and union affiliation policy

Interview Questions

• "What do you think of people who don't show up to work?"   View Answer
  • "What do you think of merit increases?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. Offered top of band pay range that required several approvals; Union affiliation was a requirement for hire which was not clear initially

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ohio State University