Ohio State University Medical Center

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied here by email. I got reply perhaps after several months. I visited here and interviewed for 2 days. I met many faculties. They wanted me and my technologies at that time. A chairman hinted that he needed me. I got an official job offer a weeks later.

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in March 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very simple. However, I already knew the PI for this position as he was a current graduate professor. So I simply met with him and discussed the position, then was formally offered. I did have some trouble dealing with the ID process at the medical center. They seemed a little bit unorganized, but in their defense they had just moved locations and were dealing with a massive hospital construction process.

Interview Question – There were no real difficult or unexpected questions, but again the interview was with a professor who I already knew.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This position was being funded by grant money, so there was already a set budget for this position and no real way to negotiate. However, it was great experience and enough money to get by.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in July 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online in June and didn’t get an offer for an interview until mid to end of July. They contacted me through email and made plans for an in-person interview (I live about 2 ½ hours away from Columbus). I only had one interview – they informed me that they chose 9 out of 50 applicants and were narrowing it down to 2. Everyone in the department (department of surgery) was very friendly and accommodating. I interviewed with three different people and the first one was running late which caused my entire interview process to run behind schedule but other than that it was a relatively pleasant experience.

Interview Question – Most questions they asked me were standard interview questions such as my biggest accomplishment to date, words to describe myself, etc. I have a background in public health and one interviewer saw that I knew a few statistical programs and asked me some specific tests that I’ve used but that was probably the most difficult question of the interview.   Answer Question

Research Recruiter Interview

Research Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center.

Interview Details – The process was VERY long and drawn out. I had difficulty getting responses from the recruiters in a timely manner. They would promise to call or email within a certain time frame and never did - a promise of 2-3 days was more like a month. During the interview, the head of recruiting was 20 minutes late so I only had a few minutes to speak to her before being rushed to speak with another manager, who was not expecting me and as he was getting ready for a meeting only gave me a few minutes of his time and it was obvious that I was not his top priority. I did not feel like a valued candidate and did not think I got an opportunity to answer questions and give everyone an opportunity to fully evaluate my experience and skills.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initially applied to research assistant II job, but was not qualified, so HR referred me to another research assistant I job. I applied online using the HR rep as a referral. I quickly got an interview, which lasted 2 hours consisting of the PI telling me about his projects, and days later got the job.

Interview Question – This may sounds unrealistic, but I don't remember any hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really a negotiation phase. I was offered the job, accepted, then came in for a check up meeting and was informed of my pay, which I was pleased with having just graduated.

Finance Interview

Finance
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in December 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR first, then interviewed with 3 people within hiring department. Took about 3 hours.

Interview Question – General behaviorial type questions. I.e., "what would you do in a certain situation"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A little different than most places. You don't have the opportunity to negotiate with the hiring manager - you have to negotiate with your HR contact - no exceptions.

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager
Columbus, OH

Interview Details – This was the most detailed interview process I've ever had. After a phone screening by the hiring manager, I came in for an in-person interview that lasted 6 hours. By the end of it, I had met with over 25 people, some in groups of up to 4 people, some were individual interviews. Because my position works with so many different individuals/teams, they felt it was necessary to get a wide-range of input on my skills and abilities. I thought it was a fantastic screening process.

Negotiation Details – Didn't try to negotiate- wish I would've! Highly recommend negotiating in at a higher salary because it's more difficult to do that one you are inside.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Columbus, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in February 2012.

Interview Details – Initial contact was through an email requesting the interview.
The interview was a phone interview and conducted at a high level with little discussion about real job qualifications.

Interview Question – This position will require work frequently during third shift, 11:00pm-7:30am hours. How do you feel about this?   View Answer

Respiratory Therapist Interview

Respiratory Therapist
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in January 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online after the director of the department sent an email to my professors asking for interested candidates. Was called in for an interview. It was informal with the Director and Assistant Director of the department. Asked about the mission of the hospital as well as my strengths/ weaknesses, behavioral questions, and future career goals.

Interview Question – What is the mission of the hospital? Are you familiar with our service goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was set in stone, not much negotiating for this particular position.

Information Associate Interview

Information Associate
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ohio State University Medical Center in June 2009.

Interview Details – When the company first contacted me, they set up a phone interview for a date almost a week in the future. This phone interview was then rescheduled another week into the future. After the phone interview, it took ten days for them to call and set up an interview in person which was then scheduled another week in the future. After this interview in person, there was another week in which I had another phone interview and then the job offer was made three days after that. My advice is to be patient. The career and the benefits will be well worth it. The office culture, as well as the patient care atmosphere are both second to none. The only negative thing is the experience they would like an employee to have is expected to be gotten elsewhere, and usually a promotion will not come to help you gain that experience with another career in the medical center.

Interview Question – Define a time where you were confronted with both a personal and career issue and define which you picked and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. This may be different in higher level positions. I was able to negotiate an incremental raise to be given upon successful completion, in good standing, of the 180 day probationary period.

Worked for Ohio State University Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!