OkCupid Interview Questions

2.5

Front-End Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

First, there was a phone interview with a member of the team. He had me do some CSS and jQuery in a shared doc.

Second, I went to their office. I met with two members of the team who asked me experience related questions, then two more members of the team, including the lead, who asked me technology related questions and had me do some CSS and jQuery on a whiteboard. After that, they had me do a no-internet test which included some basic tech knowledge and some code challenges (e.g. add comments to some pre-existing code, code and style a basic widget, optimize some inefficient jQuery). Then I had lunch with the team. Finally, I met with a member of the app team and the head of the product team (who oversees the app, front-end, and design teams -- and hires). They asked questions about how I would test and attempt to solve some user experience problems.

I later spoke with the CTO on the phone. They made it clear after the in-person that they wanted me, and after the final phone call that were going to get back to me with an offer, but after voicing some reservations I had about the position, they decided to pass.

Interview Questions

• The questions were almost disappointingly easy. You should be familiar enough with jQuery and CSS3 that you can to all the basic stuff without reference.   Answer Question

I took the interview because I really dig OkCupid, but I wasn't willing to extend my work day from 8 hours to 9 hours for a position that I'm sure wasn't right for my professional development, even though I would have really liked working with that team.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Submitted their online test, then had a phone interview where I coded some solutions on google docs while talking to another engineer. Then was flown to NYC and given a hotel stay at Ace hotel, which was amazing. Their recruiting process definitely top notch, it was a pleasure speaking to them and they were very accommodating.

When I arrived for the interview, I talked to 2 pairs of 2 developers, seemed to be someone that had been there a long time and someone that had been there a shorter time in each group.

They have a custom brewed webserver and their way of solving scalability is definitely unique. I personally feel like the entire site is simple and could be written in a month or two by a few engineers, but I think their progress on new features is probably slowed by the complexity of their environment. They had an entire floor in their building in Manhattan and what looked like quite a few engineers. My programming prowess on the sample technical questions while in office didn't impress them, but had they given me the task of writing a new feature for their site while I was there, it probably would have.

Most of their developers come from ivy league schools, they said that is where they do their recruiting.

Mobile Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview - onsite interview - decision

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

online + phone + in-person, all technical.

Interview Questions

• reverse a linked list in linear time, with constrained memory, no second container allowed.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OkCupid.

Interview

The guy seemed nice that interviewed me over the phone. The questions were standard for someone coming out of college, but I wasn't exactly ready for it, so I faltered. They were very respectful overall, and I honestly regard them as a pretty cool company. Maybe one day I will reapply