OkCupid

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OkCupid in January 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted their online test, then had a phone interview where I coded some solutions on google docs while talking to another engineer. Then was flown to NYC and given a hotel stay at Ace hotel, which was amazing. Their recruiting process definitely top notch, it was a pleasure speaking to them and they were very accommodating.

When I arrived for the interview, I talked to 2 pairs of 2 developers, seemed to be someone that had been there a long time and someone that had been there a shorter time in each group.

They have a custom brewed webserver and their way of solving scalability is definitely unique. I personally feel like the entire site is simple and could be written in a month or two by a few engineers, but I think their progress on new features is probably slowed by the complexity of their environment. They had an entire floor in their building in Manhattan and what looked like quite a few engineers. My programming prowess on the sample technical questions while in office didn't impress them, but had they given me the task of writing a new feature for their site while I was there, it probably would have.

Most of their developers come from ivy league schools, they said that is where they do their recruiting.

Mobile Front End Developer Interview

Mobile Front End Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OkCupid in October 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview - onsite interview - decision

Interview Question – PHP   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OkCupid in January 2012.

Interview Details – online + phone + in-person, all technical.

Interview Question – reverse a linked list in linear time, with constrained memory, no second container allowed.   View Answers (4)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at OkCupid.

Interview Details – The guy seemed nice that interviewed me over the phone. The questions were standard for someone coming out of college, but I wasn't exactly ready for it, so I faltered. They were very respectful overall, and I honestly regard them as a pretty cool company. Maybe one day I will reapply

Interview Question – Write a recursive walk through a singly linked list   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for OkCupid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OkCupid interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by OkCupid employees and interview candidates.