Oklahoma Department of Human Services

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.2

Social Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online – interviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

they asked scripted questions to every person interviewing, and then give you one math question to answer. interviewers appeared bothered if you asked questions regarding the job or the interview process. people were nice but unapproachable.

Interview Questions

no face to face contact with the public, all the work would have been on the phone. not a challenging enough position. for someone right out of school, would probably be a good starting point.

Child Welfare Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services in August 2014.

Attended Job Fair in Late August. At least 20+ people on hand to interview for positions within Oklahoma County. Submitted Application and transcripts and got interviewed on the spot and extended conditional employment offer. Several Positions available and seems like several got extended job offers that day. Took a week to hear back on anything after that.

Interview Questions
    • Why are people poor and how does that affect children? Describe your strengths/weaknesses   Answer Question
    None. Enter either as a I or a II depending on education/experience. Hiring authority decides that.

Social Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

I applied online and was invited to take the assessment test. Received my score and months later was invited to have an interview. It was a 2 person panel interview. I was offered the job at the end of the interview and started the next week. The process from start to finish took 2 months.

No negotiation.

Child Support Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

Testing, Resume, Writing sample, 3 letters of recommendation, interview. It was a long process, but worth it. The supervisors seem very friendly and compassionate about their job. Looking forward to a career.

Interview Questions
    • Write about who you would spend an evening with, whether living or deceased, and explain why.   Answer Question
    no negotiation. set salary schedules.

Application Spec IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

Testing done for position, last time I saw test it was only good for programming in the 80's. No VB, C# or SQL questions. Mainly cobol and assembley. Hopefully they have newer tests now.

Child Support Specialist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

Interviewed for this position three different times. It seems as if there is a high turnover rate. At this point I think it might have been a blessing in disguise that I did not get this job. Working with people concerning the two most important things in their life, their kids and their money.

Interview Questions
    • None too difficult. How do you organize your work, how do you handle conflict with co-workers, all of the standard questions.   Answer Question

Child Welfare Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlesville, OK

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services in January 2009.

I applied online and also mailed in a hard copy of my application and resume directly to the county office. I called to follow up and found out that letters would be mailed out offering an interview within a few weeks. It was about 4-5 weeks from the date of application to the interview date and a couple more weeks before hearing of being hired. The start date was another few weeks out from being hired. All in all, a long process. I was interviewed one time by all three supervisors in Child Welfare. They go through a list of questions and give applicants a numerical rating along with comments. The Interview was positive and the ladies appeared to be in the business of helping people. Afterwards I was asked to write up a summary of one experience I have had helping someone. A friend was asked to write an affadavit for custody in thirty minutes following the interview. The job requires extensive writing and documentation so they use the summary or affadavit test of that.

Interview Questions
    • What are your thoughts on kinship?   View Answer
    • How would you interact with someone accused or convicted of molesting their child?   View Answer
    There is no negotiation as a new worker at Child Welfare at this time. I won the offer over several other candidates and was still given the lowest pay for this rating during the initial probation period. I negotiated with the County Director but was told they cannot negotiate.

Social Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services in November 2011.

I was notified that I was going to be interviewed by the HR person in the office via email. She gave me a day the interviews were going to be held and let me choose from four or five different times. When I called the HR person with a question she was not very friendly or helpful.
    The interview itself was a bit of a joke. There were two supervisors that used a scripted interview. They have to ask the exact same questions to each candidate. A lot of this job consists of writing but they did not ask for a writing example or have me write as part of my interview (when interviewed for the same position in different offices, I almost always did some type of writing for the interview. The interview lasted thirty minutes maximum. The interview was close to their lunch time apparently because they were more interested in getting to lunch on time (when I worked there I found out that lunch can be whenever you choose, for the most part). I didn't get a great impression.
    In spite of the impression I left with I received a phone call the following day to set up a "second interview." They have their supervisor do a short, informal interview. Typically it is just a formality. After i was informed that I did get the job I went to the HR person next door (the one that had sat up the interviews) and she gave me the information and paper work I needed to perform my background check and drug test. The HR person was rather grumpy and even argued with me about something very simple. Later I found out (after working there a while) that this was the HR person's "typical" disposition.
    I would advise anyone that is interviewing with DHS to keep any correspondence with the HR person to a minimum. Don't inquire very much about things you don't know. Ask someone you trust that may work at another office. They do not like people to be very excited about their job. I do not know why but they don't want people that don't seem very energetic (I was told that a person didn't get the job at the second interview because the person "moved to slow.") yet they don't like it when people are enthusiastic about the job either.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were testifying and you disagreed with your supervisor about the decision the department had made on the case at hand, and the judge asked you what YOUR personal opinion was.   View Answer
    • What would you do if you were asked to work overtime at the last minute?   View Answer

Child Welfare Specialist II Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Oklahoma Department of Human Services in November 2010.

Panel of two interview with set questions posted on paper.