Olam Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.3

Sales Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Olam (Fresno, CA).

Interview

I was very impressed with how the interviews were conducted. We all met at Olam's Fresno headquarters and had a brief information session about the company. After that we had an opportunity to network with each other and then split up for up to eight rounds of 30 minute interviews. We got to interview with people that had to been in our position last year, and were also able to talk to employees from HR and more senior positions in the departments we applied for. Overall it was a great experience

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation you have been in and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager (Plant) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olam (Fresno, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen by Regional HR Director Face to Face interviews at Corporate Office (3hrs) F2F interview with Regional Director one would report to approx. 1 hr. Expectations and overview of position F2F interview with 2nd Regional Director from a different region 1 hr. Review all work History F2F with Sr Director of Human Resources 1 hr. more review on work History and questions about work titles.... Last phase is to tour the plant for culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Asked about the company structure for each organization on my work history. Do you have any aspirations? If my superiors were contacted as reference what would they say about me. Questions about duties @ each organization on my resume.   Answer Question

Quality Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Olam (Fresno, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met personally with a Director of Quality and a Director of HR in Olam's regional office. Director of Quality had only been with them for three months. Director of HR had been with them for five years. The interview started out in a large conference room and then was moved into a vacant office due to someone else having reserved the conference room. The director of Quality left the interview early due to being late for a meeting. Have not heard anything from these people or the recruiter who set up the interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions: why do you want to work for us; what are your career goals; why are you not working for your last employer anymore; etc. Most of my background has been in Manufacturing and operations. Numerous questions about how a person with that background could switch to Quality and be successful. Did I find the transition difficult; what did other people think; was I the only one in the company who made that transition, etc. My career has also spanned Product Development and R&D. I have crossed over into those areas to improve the quality of the products we were making. That concept was really difficult for the Director of Quality to accept.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Olam.

Interview

The hiring process was very long but useful.Had 6 rounds of interview with different Business heads in the company.I had two technical rounds out of 6,which were with my department director and Vice president.It was manageable though.Only behavioral questions and experience was asked.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult.Requires little patience and confidence   Answer Question

Production Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Olam in February 2014.

Interview

Went to a job fair hosted by my university, saw their booth. Went and talked to their recruiters, they were very nice and offered me an interview the next day. Got interviewed by 2 of their HR, the interview was around 30 minutes long.

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Olam.

Interview

Pathetic. The interviewer doesn't know what questions to ask. A manager is asked questions totally irrelevant to the position he is appearing for. The HR knows nothing about how to talk to potential employees.

Bad interview experience....

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Olam (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

The role for a location in one of the developing countries in South-east Asia. The entire process took more than 2 months consisting of 2 rounds of interviews, 1 Skype followed by one in person in Olam Gurgaon office.The panel included Cluster Head and HR-Talent Acquisition. Overall the process was very structured and I was extended a provisional offer letter within a week of the interview. There were questions relating to past leadership roles, my understanding of current industry, logical questions on business situations etc. The panel was focussed to understand the compatibility of the candidate, family background and willingness to move to an unfamilar terrain in a different country.

Interview Questions

• Current Roles and Responsibilities, Capabuilities developed in my S&M and operations rotational roles in my current company,my understanding of the industry I work with, people management and conflict etc.   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Olam (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

There were 3 rounds of interviews, 2 Skype followed by one in person. There were logical questions relating to business situations, more like case studies. An in-depth focus to gauge the compatibility and willingness to move to a different country and hence a lot of family and attitude related questions. Overall it was very structured. Ideally it should had taken not more than a month but in my case there was a significant delay which was communicated well in advance, understandably so as their operations were spread over geographies.

Interview Questions

• Why olam and why do u want to move to a different country?   Answer Question
    • Business problems related to supply and procurement.   Answer Question
    • Situational questions related to handling team and managing people and diversity.   Answer Question
    • Family background and how comfortable are they with me moving to a different country   Answer Question

Financial Controller Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Olam in June 2015.

Interview

It was quite smooth process. I was first interviewed by hr head. He briefed about company and role. Asked about family and professional career path. Next interview was with FC. Quite detailed technical session with general interview questions as well. Regional FC along with FC took next interview . interesting discussions along with talking about my career, achievements, reason for change and future plans. All were on video /voice calls. Later, had call with country head and regional head. We discussed on business needs and challenges. All the calls were quite comfortable and very relevant to the position.

Quality Assurance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Olam (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

I had been following up Olam since 2006 when i had joined ITC. This company has always admired me since aggressive growths as well as CRS activities in African countries. Olam footprints are now expanding into my favorite portfolios i.e. Foods and processing. After so may year admiring for a company now I could get a chance to face managerial interview process. Process designed has been almost similar to other overseas operating employers however, Hospitality offered while entire process has impressed me. People in top levels who interacted me were very supportive to dialogues and were continuously helping out to understand OLAM better and taking me through the systems an setup there. I was made very clear what challenges are there in African land and how to take it forward. I still question myself; Why I wasn’t able to get it thru and coursing myself for not being ready for very simpler process.

Interview Questions

• Most of the discussions were around behavioral checks and decision making around situations. Also many question around technical expertise/skills learned from career so far. Case to case discussions were also there on how to solve etc. Leadership skills were discussed using situational cases. Integrity in decision making and fitness for challenging job environment related question were also there.   1 Answer