Olan Mills Interview Questions

Updated Dec 22, 2014
Updated Dec 22, 2014

1.8

Church Portrait Sales Interview Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Olan Mills.

I responded to a job posting. Having worked for the company about ten years earlier, I had a track record. I had kept documentation of my sales from then. An interview was arranged, and I took my stats with me to demonstrate my previous success in that position.

Your schedule is usually for five or six days. I've heard of 7 day schedules, but I never had to work a Sunday. They send your schedule about two weeks in advance. Living in a metro area, I sometimes worked in town, or within 50 miles of home. Every month I had some days at home -- sometimes more in town than out.

Of course, as in any job with a sales manager, your manager is compensated partly on the success of his team. I was never pounded to make a quota because it wasn't difficult to make the average sales expected. If you learn the product, the process and basic good manners and sales technique, and REMAIN CONSISTENT (don't work hard one day and then be sloppy or lazy the next), you should be able to make a good living in this position.

The product is good quality, they provide a service to churches and to their members. Many people would never have portraits done otherwise. And their customer service was excellent also. If I could travel frequently, I would be willing to work for them again.

This company treated me fairly. When I had a serious family health emergency and had to take a leave of absence, they were very nice to me and after an absence of several months, I was offered my job back.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing tricky -- are you free to travel, here's the pay structure, here are the hours, does that work for you.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. They pay a set amount per day, plus commission or bonus on sales. They pay your auto mileage, and reimburse your lodging up to a certain amount. If you're in an area with higher hotel rates, you can let them know and they will reimburse the higher rate, but that never happened to me, because the lodging amount was very reasonable.

I guess the per day rate may have been a draw against commissions, but it was never an issue for me because it's about averages. Yes, you could have a bad day or two, but if you do your job consistently, you should be able to have a few good days and exceed the expectation. I was on track to make over $50K in my last year. And that's not pressuring, just explaining the options, and giving people an opportunity to buy if they want.

This is a great job for night owls because you work afternoons and evenings. You work with nice people in a good environment. If you do your job well and have good ethics, you shouldn't have intense supervision or scrutiny.

Photographer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Olan Mills in April 2013.

I filled out an application online, and heard from a DM within a few weeks. I was called in for an interview. It was pretty standard. A day or two later, I was called by the DM offering me the job. I had to have a background check done, but the company handles it, and you just have to give basic information. Training is provided afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to "sell" something to the interviewer. This wasn't difficult per se, but with someone like me, who has no sales experience, it was kind of winging it.   Answer Question
    The pay indicated was higher than I expected, so I didn't negotiate, but I got the feeling that I could have if I wanted to.

Manager/Photographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harper Woods, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Harper Woods, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Olan Mills in October 2010.

I met the manager and went over questions about how long I have been a photographer and were. What I will be doing once I get a studio to run. Which is Photography, sales, be creative with the photos with all ages, turn the studio into a profit. I manage phone calls, appointments and selling prepays on the floor to customers.

Interview Questions
    • II have not come across one that was difficult or unexpected question.   View Answer

Acquisition Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olan Mills in August 2010.

the people were nice kind very professional.

Interview Questions
    there was no negotiation phase

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temple City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temple City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olan Mills in June 2010.

Received a call regarding the resume I submitted. The person calling had just a few questions for me to answer. 1) Would I be able to follow the Olan Mills dress code (no visible tattoo's, no hair color that is not natural, no heals, only black pants and business casual tops)? 2) Would I be available full time? 3) How many miles was I willing to commute? 4) Could I go to the studio for an interview the following day?
    Once at the studio interview, I was asked if I had previous photography experience and what type. I was asked if I would be able to work full time and would I be interested in overtime? I was also asked how soon I would be able to start. I was contacted the following business day by the person I first spoke with and was offered the position and asked to begin work the following day. This person reminded me of the dress code, and told me my hourly pay rate. She then concluded the call by stressing that I not discuss my pay with anyone.

Interview Questions
    • How far are you willing to travel to work?   View Answer
    They were not open to negotiation, it was take it or leave it. I did feel that the person making the offer bent the truth to make the job sound more appealing. Once hired on, I learned that a number of the benefits had strings attached and I would not qualify for them. My suggestion is to ask lots of questions and get things in writing if possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Olan Mills in November 2009.

In 1995 saw a job position opening in the window of an Olan Mills Studio. Set an appointment, was interviewed and got the job. Two years later, interviewed the Church Division Regional Manager and transferred.

Had had previous photographic background and was willing to travel anywhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Olan Mills in June 2009.

Phone interview was relaxed. In person interview held in Bob Evans????

There was no negotiation

Photographer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Olan Mills.

Very casual. Was hired over the phone.

Photographer Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olan Mills in June 2011.

the interviewer = a weirdo
    very prejudice and unprofessional.

Photographer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Olan Mills in February 2011.

The interview was great. The district manager was at the studio and had me fill out the application. He asked about previous work experience and basic things like that. He called me about a week or so later and told me about the photographer floater position and how much I would get paid for that. He told me about the travel compensation. I thought about it for a day or two and called him back to accept.