Old Dominion Freight

Relevance Date Difficulty

Dock Worker Interview

Dock Worker

Interviewed at Old Dominion Freight

Interview Details – You have to know someone already in the business to obtain an opportunity. Interviews do not have a structure because they are nothing serious to worry about (due to the fact that cursing and joking takes place in them). If you obtain an interview for a dock worker position, you will get the job.

Interview Question – The only questions they ask are "Are you serious about this job" & "Will you be able to work the late hours given"   Answer Question

Dockworker/Forklift Operator Interview

Dockworker/Forklift Operator

Interviewed at Old Dominion Freight

Interview Details – My friend recommended me and my specific workplace hires a lot of people based off of recommendations. My manager basically asked me about my schedule, what hours I could work, and how school would be while working this job and my other.

Interview Question – I did not get any sort of difficult questions.   Answer Question

Information Security Director Interview

Information Security Director
High Point, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in February 2014.

Interview Details – I received a reply to my online application from a hiring agency, and spoke several times over the next few days with the recruiter who explained the company, culture, and position. The recruiter pushed my resume to ODFL, and within two days I had the initial phone screen with the hiring manager.

Less than a week later, I interviewed in person with the Director, two of the employees I would be managing, another Director who also reported to the CIO, and the CIO himself. Three days after the interview, I was offered the position. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the company, the management, and the culture.

Interview Question – I feel the questions were fair, and very representative of what they wanted to see in a candidate, and there was nothing that came out of the blue.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This was one of the most difficult decisions of my career, and I spent two nearly sleepless nights debating it with myself. In the end, I declined due to the fact that I did not feel it was a progressive step for my career, and the offer was in line with my current salary, and not in line with the average salary of those who hold the high certification required for this. In most companies, the lead manager of information security should report directly to the CIO, which caused concern that it was not as high of a priority to them as I would have preferred. That should not be taken as derogatory to the IT Director I would have reported to: I was extremely impressed with her and thought very highly of her. All said, if the salary been a bigger jump from my current level, I probably would have accepted, knowing that the Triad area is not a hot bed for my profession. This was one decision that looking back, I still can't 100% say that I made the right choice...but I am comfortable with it.

Very Easy Interview

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Data Entry Specialist
Thomasville, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

Interview Details – I was hired as a temp to hire. The temp agency just wanted a warm body with the typing wpm required so, that was no problem. The manager that hired me at OD talked during the entire interview process. I honestly do not remember him asking me a single question. I can only assume he had decided to hire me based on my resume or the first hello and handshake.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They have a set pay scale they pay everyone in the department based on performance-speed and accuracy.

P&D Driver At Old Dominion Freight Line Interview

P&D Driver At Old Dominion Freight Line
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in February 2010.

Interview Details – Very Impersonal, rude.

Freight Loader/Dock Worker Interview

Freight Loader/Dock Worker

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

Interview Details – I've worked there about 10 years total, but just recently went FT. The initial interview process was short and simple seeing that I had worked at another freight company and had the experience. They did a drug test and the Service Center Mgr checked my forklift skills and it was a go.

Interview Question – Do you like sunrises?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wasn't much of a negotiation because the starting was more than I expected. There were also raises on two 90-day intervals, and yearly after that.

Truck Driver Interview

Truck Driver

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

Interview Details – I had a one on one interview with the assistant terminal manager. The interview went smoothly and was low pressure. I felt relaxed through the whole process.

Interview Question – The interview did not have any unexpected question. The majority of the question were based on prior experience.   Answer Question

WAN Administrator Interview

WAN Administrator
Thomasville, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in June 2013.

Interview Details – There was initially a phone interview which involved some technical questions but mostly background. This was followed up by a one on one interview with the hiring manager where more technical and goal oriented questions were asked. He knew exactly the experience he was looking for and cut straight to the chase about it. Then there was a one on one interview with the CIO. He asked what I knew about the company and discussed my background and goals for the future.

Interview Question – They were all pretty straight forward questions with nothing coming out of left field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I worked as a contractor and there was no negotiation at that time.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in April 2011.

Interview Details – Old Dominion perused me and made me an offer while I was still working. The offer was about 40 percent more and they only gave me a week to make a decision.

Interview Question – What were your plans at Conway and why were you not able to make them a reality?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This company was willing to step up and pay me what I wanted in salary and bonus but would not work with me on time off my first year. They expected me to go 1 year with zero time off and sick days but told me after 6 months they will let me borrow time off? They sent me the offer in writing and everything was what we discussed.

Dock Worker Interview

Dock Worker

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

Interview Details – Three days after initial contact a job was offered and accepted.

Negotiation Details – Easy

Worked for Old Dominion Freight? Contribute to the Community!