Old Dominion Freight Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.3

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thomasville, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in August 2014.

I recently received an opportunity and job description, via one of the many agencies I work with, for an opportunity with this company.

The first phone interview went well enough as it was just with the manager. For the 2nd, it was the manager and some of the tech folks, and should also have included the director. She was a no show.

They then wanted to conduct an onsite, but due the many differences in the original job description, and what was discussed during the 2nd phone interview, I requested a phone Q&A to ask additional questions, and review a rewrite of the job description I completed. All went well enough and they still wanted a final onsite.

At this point I had already assumed travel was my cost, and since the agency did not respond with any other choice I drove up over a period of 3 days, staying at motels along the way.

Upon my arrival the manager discovered I paid for travel expenses and said that I would be reimbursed, something the agency never mentioned or even new, or so they said. (I later submitted my expenses, which I was instructed to do, only to then have them rejected saying it was company policy not to reimburse for travel costs.)

The onsite was just a repeat of the 2nd and 3rd, where the actual job requirements being stated were not aligned with the original job description. The worst part of this experience was during one point in the discussion, the director wrote down a note and openly showed it to one of the technical team members. This was in response to my openly rejecting one proposed aspect of the role requirements. I do not find this type of interview behavior acceptable or mature. And had the job description been written for the REAL job requirements, most or even all of this waste could have been avoided.

I was not at all surprised when the agency came back with a rejection and not an offer. (It was my intention to decline any offer made anyways.) In my opinion it was the director that not only entirely dropped the ball on this, but went as far as to insult a true professional. I also believe it was this same director (and not company policy) that rejected the travel cost reimbursement.

Final cost to me for this fiasco was a bit over $600. Cost to Old Dominion? I will never, ever consider them as an employer or client in the future, based on this persons behavior, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone else.

Word of advice to anyone interviewing with them, and that need to travel any distance for an interview. Get them to agree to pay for it BEFORE you make travel arrangements and the specific conditions such as receipts, etc.

They have since then taken my advice and rewritten the job description with the REAL role and responsibility requirements; an agency rep sent it to me. (Not knowing I had already been rejected.) Not that they have any greater chance of finding this person, as they simply do not exist.

Interview Questions
    • The director likes to use standard HR type of entrapment questions, trying to identify negative personality traits or issues. Your best response is "I have no preference."   Answer Question

Driver Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

the process was very smooth. you told everything up front. there are no surprises you ask when raises come and the tell you. ask how the medical benefits are. that is important. plus how much they are going to cost

Interview Questions
    very simple wages are preset. no guess work

Dock Worker Interview

You have to know someone already in the business to obtain an opportunity. Interviews do not have a structure because they are nothing serious to worry about (due to the fact that cursing and joking takes place in them). If you obtain an interview for a dock worker position, you will get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The only questions they ask are "Are you serious about this job" & "Will you be able to work the late hours given"   Answer Question

Dockworker/Forklift Operator Interview

My friend recommended me and my specific workplace hires a lot of people based off of recommendations. My manager basically asked me about my schedule, what hours I could work, and how school would be while working this job and my other.

Information Security Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  High Point, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Point, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in February 2014.

I received a reply to my online application from a hiring agency, and spoke several times over the next few days with the recruiter who explained the company, culture, and position. The recruiter pushed my resume to ODFL, and within two days I had the initial phone screen with the hiring manager.

Less than a week later, I interviewed in person with the Director, two of the employees I would be managing, another Director who also reported to the CIO, and the CIO himself. Three days after the interview, I was offered the position. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the company, the management, and the culture.

Interview Questions
    • I feel the questions were fair, and very representative of what they wanted to see in a candidate, and there was nothing that came out of the blue.   Answer Question

This was one of the most difficult decisions of my career, and I spent two nearly sleepless nights debating it with myself. In the end, I declined due to the fact that I did not feel it was a progressive step for my career, and the offer was in line with my current salary, and not in line with the average salary of those who hold the high certification required for this. In most companies, the lead manager of information security should report directly to the CIO, which caused concern that it was not as high of a priority to them as I would have preferred. That should not be taken as derogatory to the IT Director I would have reported to: I was extremely impressed with her and thought very highly of her. All said, if the salary been a bigger jump from my current level, I probably would have accepted, knowing that the Triad area is not a hot bed for my profession. This was one decision that looking back, I still can't 100% say that I made the right choice...but I am comfortable with it.

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thomasville, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

I was hired as a temp to hire. The temp agency just wanted a warm body with the typing wpm required so, that was no problem. The manager that hired me at OD talked during the entire interview process. I honestly do not remember him asking me a single question. I can only assume he had decided to hire me based on my resume or the first hello and handshake.

There was no negotiation. They have a set pay scale they pay everyone in the department based on performance-speed and accuracy.

P&D Driver At Old Dominion Freight Line Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in February 2010.

Very Impersonal, rude.

Freight Loader/Dock Worker Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

I've worked there about 10 years total, but just recently went FT. The initial interview process was short and simple seeing that I had worked at another freight company and had the experience. They did a drug test and the Service Center Mgr checked my forklift skills and it was a go.

Interview Questions
    Wasn't much of a negotiation because the starting was more than I expected. There were also raises on two 90-day intervals, and yearly after that.

Truck Driver Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

I had a one on one interview with the assistant terminal manager. The interview went smoothly and was low pressure. I felt relaxed through the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview did not have any unexpected question. The majority of the question were based on prior experience.   Answer Question

WAN Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thomasville, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in June 2013.

There was initially a phone interview which involved some technical questions but mostly background. This was followed up by a one on one interview with the hiring manager where more technical and goal oriented questions were asked. He knew exactly the experience he was looking for and cut straight to the chase about it. Then there was a one on one interview with the CIO. He asked what I knew about the company and discussed my background and goals for the future.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty straight forward questions with nothing coming out of left field.   Answer Question
    I worked as a contractor and there was no negotiation at that time.

Worked for Old Dominion Freight? Contribute to the Community!