Old Dominion Freight Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2015

2.1

Dock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

Very simple..You really need to have a contact on the inside to get an interview. Overall, great group of people to interview with...I am used to the environment, and based on the interview, the people, and the location, This should be a great place to work...

Interview Questions

• I have years of experience in LTL, so their main question was "will I be willing to advance?" They want you to move up with in the company...   Answer Question

Part Time Overflow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight (Tulsa, OK) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was very professional and nice. I was given a thorough job description and my questions regarding corporate history, growth and room for advancement were answered. I was impressed with the corporate philosophies, growth and attitude toward their valued employees. I was then taken to a computer to fill out a very extensive online application with many questions. Interestingly, my past wages were neither discussed nor inquired about on the application.

Interview Questions

• About being over-qualified   1 Answer

Dock Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight (Columbus, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

Easy and simple. Not much to the process. Just asked me a couple of basic questions. After a day and a half, I got the position. Probably the easiest job interview I've had to date. Really cool place to work. I suggest to anyone looking for a good place to work. The pay is pretty great too!

Linehaul Driver Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in October 2014.

Interview

Real easy going. Filled out questionnaire one day, got a call from the transportation manager the next day to come in for an interview. Met with trans manager and manager on the same day.

Interview Questions

Interview

Easy interview basic questions. I was just applying for a Part-Time Position. Had to pass a drug test and then go through a week of on the dock training. After week your on your own and you learn as you go.

Interview Questions

• Little room for error. Over look one little thing and could cost a lot.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight in September 2014.

Interview

There were three interviews. I had to do a lot of studying and find out on the company itself. Its background, grass roots owner. A lot of the actual culture that is still represented. Respect, kindness, and hard work were all major requirements. Fantastic communication and friendly interviews.

Interview Questions

• What makes you better that who we already have?   1 Answer

They required you to move to accept the position.

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thomasville, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight (Thomasville, NC) in August 2014.

Interview

I recently received an opportunity and job description, via one of the many agencies I work with, for an opportunity with this company. The first phone interview went well enough as it was just with the manager. For the 2nd, it was the manager and some of the tech folks, and should also have included the director. She was a no show. They then wanted to conduct an onsite, but due the many differences in the original job description, and what was discussed during the 2nd phone interview, I requested a phone Q&A to ask additional questions, and review a rewrite of the job description I completed. All went well enough and they still wanted a final onsite. At this point I had already assumed travel was my cost, and since the agency did not respond with any other choice I drove up over a period of 3 days, staying at motels along the way. Upon my arrival the manager discovered I paid for travel expenses and said that I would be reimbursed, something the agency never mentioned or even new, or so they said. (I later submitted my expenses, which I was instructed to do, only to then have them rejected saying it was company policy not to reimburse for travel costs.) The onsite was just a repeat of the 2nd and 3rd, where the actual job requirements being stated were not aligned with the original job description. The worst part of this experience was during one point in the discussion, the director wrote down a note and openly showed it to one of the technical team members. This was in response to my openly rejecting one proposed aspect of the role requirements. I do not find this type of interview behavior acceptable or mature. And had the job description been written for the REAL job requirements, most or even all of this waste could have been avoided. I was not at all surprised when the agency came back with a rejection and not an offer. (It was my intention to decline any offer made anyways.) In my opinion it was the director that not only entirely dropped the ball on this, but went as far as to insult a true professional. I also believe it was this same director (and not company policy) that rejected the travel cost reimbursement. Final cost to me for this fiasco was a bit over $600. Cost to Old Dominion? I will never, ever consider them as an employer or client in the future, based on this persons behavior, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone else. Word of advice to anyone interviewing with them, and that need to travel any distance for an interview. Get them to agree to pay for it BEFORE you make travel arrangements and the specific conditions such as receipts, etc. They have since then taken my advice and rewritten the job description with the REAL role and responsibility requirements; an agency rep sent it to me. (Not knowing I had already been rejected.) Not that they have any greater chance of finding this person, as they simply do not exist.

Interview Questions

• The director likes to use standard HR type of entrapment questions, trying to identify negative personality traits or issues. Your best response is "I have no preference."   Answer Question

Driver Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Old Dominion Freight.

Interview

the process was very smooth. you told everything up front. there are no surprises you ask when raises come and the tell you. ask how the medical benefits are. that is important. plus how much they are going to cost

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very simple wages are preset. no guess work

Dock Worker Interview

Interview

You have to know someone already in the business to obtain an opportunity. Interviews do not have a structure because they are nothing serious to worry about (due to the fact that cursing and joking takes place in them). If you obtain an interview for a dock worker position, you will get the job.

Interview Questions

• The only questions they ask are "Are you serious about this job" & "Will you be able to work the late hours given"   Answer Question

Dockworker/Forklift Operator Interview

Interview

My friend recommended me and my specific workplace hires a lot of people based off of recommendations. My manager basically asked me about my schedule, what hours I could work, and how school would be while working this job and my other.