Old Navy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Old Navy.

I was invited for what they call an "audition". It was a group audition and they made it fun. It was really easy to be open and honest. They made me feel.comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • find any item in the store that you love and sell it to me   Answer Question

Sellebrity Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Old Navy.

The hiring process was unique, they start off with a game. Mine was to pull a celebrity name out of a hat that had a situation "Beyonce going to the park." Then you have to go out into the store and find an outfit that works for that celebrity and situation. They do this to see product knowledge and show your personality. For instance one person got "Chris Brown running from the police." He got a hat, sunglasses, a large coat and a package of toy mustaches.
    After the game, everyone will follow one manager as you all recover (fold clothes, pick up around the store,) talking about nothing. Again, they're gauging your willingness to help, propensity to follow direction, and personality. The other manager will go to the office and call you in one by one. They ask the standard hiring questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was: "What's more important, sales or customer service?"   View Answer

Sellebrity Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Old Navy.

First I had a phone interview. Then I was invited to an "audition." This group interview was crowded, about 12 people. It was important to speak up. I made sure that the interviewers heard something about me that they would remember. I also made sure that I knew a bit about Old Navy's history and Gap Inc so that I could easily offer answers to those questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just a tricky situation, since you have to be noticed in a crowd.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Sales Associate Interview

I submitted my application online and within a week I received a phone call to set up a group interview. I went in they asked questions in the group, made us pick out an outfit and really just tried to get you talking

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Old Navy in October 2014.

She called me within days of applying to get me in and interviewed. It was very easy, we just sat down and I talked about my skills and why I would be a good "sellebrity," asked her some questions like how would I be trained, what would be expected of me, etc, and then she had me pick out an article of clothing that spoke to me and give a presentation that represented how I would present it to a customer.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation of a picked clothing article.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate as the first offer was above minimum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Old Navy in October 2014.

The process took about 3 weeks. I submitted an application on Sept. 16th, and I received a call the following week on the 25th. The person asked me 3 questions: "When is a time you worked in a team?", "What makes you awesome?", and "What is your availability?". I was then invited to come for an 'audition' on the 30th at 3 pm and was told to bring something of importance to me and to come 'dressed to impressed' (basically wear a more dressed up version of something you would wear casually; I wore black jeans, a button-up, and dress shoes).

The audition lasted about an hour. When I got there, there were 7 others waiting too. We were then given a tour of the store and after, we headed to the backroom and the hiring managers told us about Old Navy, some of its history, and then told us about themselves. We were then told to get together and come up with 3 things we all had in common. Afterwards, we began to go around the store and share our stories about the items we brought. After that, we were then told to go out onto the floor and bring back an item that caught our eye during the tour (one that is suitable for the fall season) and to return to the backroom ready to explain why we chose the item. We also had to explain why it was a good item fashion-wise for the fall. After, the floor was open for questions and we were then told that we would be contacted within 2 days. Four days went by and right when I was about to call it quits and admit to myself that I just didn't get the job, I was called by the store manager and set up a one-on-one interview for the following week on the 7th of October.

I was dressed a bit more formal for this interview. I showed up in a yellow dress shirt, dark grey dress pants, and black dress shoes. We went to the backroom and I was given 6 questions. Overall the interview was fairly easy. I looked through my resume and brushed up on my experiences that could help me answer questions. The manager asked: "Why did you choose Old Navy?", "When was a time you had to be a leader?", "Do you prefer being a leader or a part of the group?", "What is a quality of your best friend's that you admire?", "What do you know about Old Navy," and "What is your worst mistake and what did you learn from it?" After the interview, the manager offered me a position and gave me an introductory letter with the hourly wage and the orientation dates.

Overall, my biggest recommendation is to not be afraid of talking with others during the group interview and making sure that your voice is heard (without being obnoxious of course!). Also, for your one on one, prepare by looking back on past experience and also don't be afraid to be a little humorous and smile throughout. They're really looking for personable people with great attitudes and personalities. Having experience (whether work, volunteer, or school/club experience) helps a lot with the questions, but I feel that personality plays just as big of role as (or if not bigger than) experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was most caught off-guard by "do you prefer being a leader or a part of the group?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Everything was listed on the offer.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I initially had a phone interview, which asked me a few basic questions about my background and experience. I was then called in for an actual interview in person. After completing that interview with the recruiter, and being notified of my success, I was told I would have another in a few days. The second interview was with a manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some role play questions that seemed to require prior knowledge of retail store merchandise.   Answer Question
    Negotiated hours mostly, being a student.

Sellebrity Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Old Navy.

I applied to multiple locations via the store's website and received a phone call only a few days later requesting a group interview. I attended a group interview and received a verbal offer over the phone a few days later. The only thing that was a bit inconvenient was that I was unable to start until a few months later due to the fact that I was out of town during the orientation session and had to wait several months to attend another.

Interview Questions
    • The only question that was asked was "Why do you want to work at Old Navy" and everyone in the room answered it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Part-time Sellebrity Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Old Navy.

Applied for the job directly from the Gap Inc. website. Received a phone call from the hiring manager 5 days later. She asked three questions: "What makes you awesome?" "What is your availability?" And "What was your favorite part of a past employment?". She then asked me to come to a group interview two days later and asked me to bring one item that best represents me and my personality. I am into fitness, so I brought my yoga mat. I arrived at the store and was asked to sit in the fitting room area with other candidates- there were 8 of us total. We then met the hiring manager and store manager and gathered in a circle in a secluded part of the store. We went around and introduced ourselves and shared one thing about ourselves. We then went on a quick tour of the store, then gathered again to show and discuss our "items" that we brought. That was followed by a game: You roll two dice - one has numbers (1-3) and the other has different articles of clothes (shirt, active wear, flip flops, skinny jeans). The number die represented a specific customer circumstance (mine was "a customer likes an article of clothing, but you don't have the item in her size. Find a similar item in the correct size and explain the similarities in order to sell to the customer.") The second die represented which item you needed. So you run off into the store (Supermarket Sweep style) and find your articles, return back and try to "sell" your item to one of the managers. After everyone completed their missions, we had a short Q and A session. They then let us know that they would inform us if we received the job within 3 days. I got a phone call only two days later with a job offer. Starting pay is $8 an hour.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate as I truly needed the job and the pay was acceptable.

Sellebrity Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Old Navy.

The interview was awesome. You went and answered a few questions with the assistant store manager. Then they took you out to the floor to build an outfit for an associate.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any difficult questions. Most of the questions I was asked were about my availability and my opinion.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. I was happy with the outcome.