Old Navy

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.1

Sellebrity Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Old Navy.

I applied online and was called in over a month later. It was a group interview and very relaxed and actually fun! We were asked various questions like what made us awesome? We were then asked to give facts about ourselves and what we liked to do. We rolled a dice and each of us had to pick out an outfit. My number on the dice was blank so I got to make up an outfit and that was actually fun. I would recommend accessorizing and layering the clothes. Make sure you do some research about old navy's clothing and style.i had a second interview after the group and was asked some basic questions about availability and just activities that I was involved in.

I was offered a different job with a higher wage.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Old Navy.

First interview is what they call as a "audition". In the audition you are in a room with 5 other people 6 in call with 4 managers in different areas taking notes on each of you. You have to play some games and bring in one item from home that is something that you are passionate about (which they will have you talk about). The game was a scavenger hunt for items in the store. Some are trick items. Then you will talk about the item that you brought in. Then they will ask you to go around the store and pick out an outfit that you would wear and why you picked the items that you did. Then they will ask some questions from your application then send you on your way.

A few days later you will be asked back for a second interview with is a one on one with the store manager. They will ask you some questions on why you want to work there, what is something that you did that was up and beyond for a friends, and how you manage doing multiple things at once.

If they like you they will make you an offer to be apart of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Them asking about the stores most sold items. Who knew they sold so many flag shirts.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Seasonal Sellebrity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Old Navy.

I applied online and got a call a few days later. I had a brief phone interview in which the manager asked a few questions about my availability, why I like Old Navy, and what makes me awesome.
    The manager asked me to come in a few days later for a group interview. I was nervous at first, since I have never been to a group interview before. But, it turned out to be pretty fun. The managers told us about the company and themselves. Then, we went around the group (there were 7 of us) and introduced ourselves and said a few facts about ourselves. Then we rolled a die and had to build an outfit. I rolled the die and got the super skinny jeans. We had to build an outfit that someone could wear to an interview. I picked a business style jacket, a patterned shirt and blue accessories. We had to share our outfit with the group and the managers. Then, we returned our items and a different manager came and asked us questions. These questions were mainly about explaining a time when you had to be a group leader or a time when you had a challenging situation. The questions were pretty easy. After my interview, I got a call later that day and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Are you more of a team leader or a group member.   View Answer

"Sellebrity" Interview

I applied online and got called 2 weeks later. I was given a phone interview with a few brief questions such as tell me about yourself, what do you like about working as a team, what's your availability, can you work holidays? & stuff like that. On that same phone call I was invited to an "audition", which is a group interview for them. I was in a room with two other candidates and she told us to figure out three characteristics we all had in common. We then played a toilet paper game where I won't tell the details of because it's a fun surprise for candidates :). We then played a game where we were told to find an outfit on the floor that we find trendy and what we like about it. The next activity was the same thing but with a dice with scenarios in it and we had to find an outfit to match it and try to sell it as if we were talking to a customer. Then at the end we were each pulled into a room privately to have a one on one interview. Following the interview I was told I'd be called within the next week and the orientation was in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Why old navy? What do you know about old navy? Name a time where you helped out a friend in need. What role do you usually play on a team? What's one of your strengths? Name a time you had to overcome a challenge.   Answer Question
    None

Sellebrity Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Old Navy.

The hiring process was unique, they start off with a game. Mine was to pull a celebrity name out of a hat that had a situation "Beyonce going to the park." Then you have to go out into the store and find an outfit that works for that celebrity and situation. They do this to see product knowledge and show your personality. For instance one person got "Chris Brown running from the police." He got a hat, sunglasses, a large coat and a package of toy mustaches.
    After the game, everyone will follow one manager as you all recover (fold clothes, pick up around the store,) talking about nothing. Again, they're gauging your willingness to help, propensity to follow direction, and personality. The other manager will go to the office and call you in one by one. They ask the standard hiring questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was: "What's more important, sales or customer service?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carbondale, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Old Navy.

I was invited for what they call an "audition". It was a group audition and they made it fun. It was really easy to be open and honest. They made me feel.comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • find any item in the store that you love and sell it to me   Answer Question

Sellebrity Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Old Navy.

First I had a phone interview. Then I was invited to an "audition." This group interview was crowded, about 12 people. It was important to speak up. I made sure that the interviewers heard something about me that they would remember. I also made sure that I knew a bit about Old Navy's history and Gap Inc so that I could easily offer answers to those questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just a tricky situation, since you have to be noticed in a crowd.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Old Navy in October 2014.

The process took about 3 weeks. I submitted an application on Sept. 16th, and I received a call the following week on the 25th. The person asked me 3 questions: "When is a time you worked in a team?", "What makes you awesome?", and "What is your availability?". I was then invited to come for an 'audition' on the 30th at 3 pm and was told to bring something of importance to me and to come 'dressed to impressed' (basically wear a more dressed up version of something you would wear casually; I wore black jeans, a button-up, and dress shoes).

The audition lasted about an hour. When I got there, there were 7 others waiting too. We were then given a tour of the store and after, we headed to the backroom and the hiring managers told us about Old Navy, some of its history, and then told us about themselves. We were then told to get together and come up with 3 things we all had in common. Afterwards, we began to go around the store and share our stories about the items we brought. After that, we were then told to go out onto the floor and bring back an item that caught our eye during the tour (one that is suitable for the fall season) and to return to the backroom ready to explain why we chose the item. We also had to explain why it was a good item fashion-wise for the fall. After, the floor was open for questions and we were then told that we would be contacted within 2 days. Four days went by and right when I was about to call it quits and admit to myself that I just didn't get the job, I was called by the store manager and set up a one-on-one interview for the following week on the 7th of October.

I was dressed a bit more formal for this interview. I showed up in a yellow dress shirt, dark grey dress pants, and black dress shoes. We went to the backroom and I was given 6 questions. Overall the interview was fairly easy. I looked through my resume and brushed up on my experiences that could help me answer questions. The manager asked: "Why did you choose Old Navy?", "When was a time you had to be a leader?", "Do you prefer being a leader or a part of the group?", "What is a quality of your best friend's that you admire?", "What do you know about Old Navy," and "What is your worst mistake and what did you learn from it?" After the interview, the manager offered me a position and gave me an introductory letter with the hourly wage and the orientation dates.

Overall, my biggest recommendation is to not be afraid of talking with others during the group interview and making sure that your voice is heard (without being obnoxious of course!). Also, for your one on one, prepare by looking back on past experience and also don't be afraid to be a little humorous and smile throughout. They're really looking for personable people with great attitudes and personalities. Having experience (whether work, volunteer, or school/club experience) helps a lot with the questions, but I feel that personality plays just as big of role as (or if not bigger than) experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was most caught off-guard by "do you prefer being a leader or a part of the group?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Everything was listed on the offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I submitted my application online and within a week I received a phone call to set up a group interview. I went in they asked questions in the group, made us pick out an outfit and really just tried to get you talking

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Old Navy in October 2014.

She called me within days of applying to get me in and interviewed. It was very easy, we just sat down and I talked about my skills and why I would be a good "sellebrity," asked her some questions like how would I be trained, what would be expected of me, etc, and then she had me pick out an article of clothing that spoke to me and give a presentation that represented how I would present it to a customer.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation of a picked clothing article.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate as the first offer was above minimum.