Old Navy

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Old Navy Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Old Navy in October 2011.

Interview Details – You apply online, it's a good idea to apply then go in the store and introduce yourself to the hiring manager or store manager. You'll get a call to come in for a group interview, if you don't get a call within a month I recommend you call the store. The interviews are typically group interviews, which aren't as intimidating as you think. They'll show you the floor and have you work on the floor. You'll also be asked questions as a group, try to be as creative as possible, not generic. Communicating with customers is key, if you're folding clothes the whole time and not recognizing the customers, don't expect to get the job.

Interview Question – Questions have changed since I got hired but I remember being asked to 'sell' an item to the managers that were interviewing me. Also to explain how I solved a problem in a previous job, if you didn't have a previous job you could always talk about a club, internship, volunteering, etc.   Answer Question

Old Navy Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Navy.

Interview Details – Old Navy was having open auditions which are basically open interviews. I went in, and there were around 20 other people there so the interviewer split us into two groups and made the first group answer some questions and the second group pick out an outfit for their mother or father. She then made us switch. It was an easy, lighthearted, and fun interview. I then got a call from the manager the next day, asking me to come in for a one on one interview. I met with her, and she asked me some basic questions like who is your biggest inspiration, etc. I haven't gotten a call back so I'm guessing I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – None of the questions were that difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Old Navy Interview

Sales Associate Old Navy

I applied online and interviewed at Old Navy.

Interview Details – Group interview - very informal and relaxed. Hard to not repeat answers or have yours repeated by someone else since the questions were basic. Didn't take long to know if you were in the running. There wasn't a second interview either. If you got the job, they just called and offered it.

Interview Question – How do you handle dress?   Answer Question

Old Navy Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Old Navy.

Interview Details – was called in a few days after i submitted my application online and went in the store to hand in a resume and introduce myself. i was asked to bring something i was passionate about because we would be talking about it. it was a group interview, and most of the interview was the two managers telling the candidates about the company and asking a few trivia-like questions, such as 'do you know what the 94 you see all across the store is, stands for?'. it didn't appear that these questions bore any weight on the interviewee, it seemed more like a way of breaking the ice. the atmosphere was fun and everyone was really nice. we left the interview, and were told we would be receiving news 'sooner than we think'.

Interview Question – there was only one question that was asked to me specifically, and it was how i thought i could apply what i was passionate about to the store.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – i accepted a position with another store that i was more interested in working in.

Old Navy Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Old Navy in November 2011.

Interview Details – All interviews were done same day at one location. There are both group and one on one interviews. The interviewing and training process is very streamlined. I had a great time with it and you will too.

Interview Question – Most difficult question asked was when I had to pitch to a manager as if they were the customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiations. I was told what my hourly rate would be take it or leave it.

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Navy in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied. Got a call 2 weeks later exactly. Went in and it was a group interview. We went in the back room they asked questions we picked out an outfit. I called them a week later and they never called back.

Interview Question – They asked us to describe our bedroom to them.   View Answer

Leesburg, VA

I applied online and interviewed at Old Navy.

Interview Details – Their interview process has changed!!!!! It's SUCH A LONG PROCESS! First you apply. You have to apply online through Gap's website. There are NO PAPER COPIES OF APPLICATIONS IN EXISTENCE! The online part has a questionnaire. If you fail the questionnaire then a flag pops up on your application when it sends to the managers and it reads, "Do not hire!" If you fail the questionnaire then you don't get a job. But if you pass then the managers see a flag that shows that you're an acceptable human-being worthy of their time. Then they schedule you for a phone interview. I think there is one small phone interview with the Hiring Manager first. Then they will schedule you for what they call "an audition". Its morbidly embarrassing. You come into the store with maybe four other candidates and go through this process. This is essentially a group interview where they don't really address you individually at all. You come in and they have you do a game or maybe show and tell because they treat you as though you're in middle school. After that ice-breaker you do a game related to the store in some way. For example you're asked to go find an outfit for someone or an alternative to a specific item or something. These tasks prove to actually be difficult because Old Navy stores seem to be notorious for their extreme constant mess. Throughout your audition the managers are really trying to assess if you're outgoing and like-able. After the interview if they actually like you they schedule a phone interview with the store manager. Since this is alllll their new hiring process I'm not sure if the phone interview with the Store Manager is the last step or not they might have you come in for a face-to-face interview even after that I can't say for sure. So finally you're hired and you're asked to come in for training days. They give you two four hour shift of initial training I believe. I knew a girl who was on a training shift for I think anywhere from 9-12 hours because she wanted to squeeze it into one day. Throughout the training day you sign all the tax papers as usual and you watch excruciatingly awful store videos that take you through customer service policies and what not. Then the Hiring Manager takes you through some other procedures and processes as well. Later in the day you shadow some employees who train you on register or fitting room procedures. Keep in mind the employees who train you get paid the exact same amount (or less) than you do as a starting employee. So while getting trained expect to be training someone in the future who doesn't know what they're doing at all yet they get paid more than you.....

Interview Question – The interview process isn't so heavy on questions strangely enough.... the most important part is the "audition" sadly....   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase I was desperate....

Interviewed at Old Navy

Interview Details – I had one interview in which I talked about my previous work and my abilities. We discussed the retail business as well as my background in restaurants. We also discussed situational instances such as "how have you handled stress on previous projects and job sites". It was overall relaxing and enjoyable.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions were situational, although all were feasible.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Old Navy Interview

Sales Associate Old Navy

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Old Navy in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very simple. I called and spoke to the hiring manager about my application. She asked about my availability and scheduled an interview. When I went for the interview the manager wasn't even there , very unprofessional! I had to reschedule it. During the interview very basic questions were asked like "why do you want to work here?" I was given a second interview with the store manager and she went over the expectations of the job. Got a call later that day with a job offer.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, set base pay

Davenport, IA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Old Navy.

Interview Details – Got a call she asked me why I want to work there, what is something new I learned that I didnt know before and some other questions. She asked me to come in person for a ''Audition'' It was a group interview me and 3 other high school kids. I myself am a college student, so I thought the interview process was very immature and stupid, We played a game, we colored, we threw a balloon back and forth to each other. I don't get how that really helps figure out who is the best candidate for the position, I felt like I was back in middle school .

Also we were to bring in something we were passionate about.

The interview took about 1 hour and 30 min.

After this interview I DONT want the job at Old Navy. I will apply else where.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, if you want the job just act like a 15 year old immature teen :D Dont over dress, I dressed really nice and the other people came in with jeans and a tee.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Its not a place I would like to work because the environment is too immature for me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Old Navy

Worked for Old Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Old Navy Old Navy Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Old Navy employees and interview candidates.