Old Navy Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2014

2.1

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Old Navy.

Applied online through the Gap Inc. career site for seasonal sales associate position. I got a phone call about a week later to come to a group interview. Our group interview was quite large, probably about 20 people. I received an offer later that day.

Interview Questions
  • Talk about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you resolved the situation. In general, the group interview setting may be intimating for some, since you have to be proactive to answer the questions, as interviewer did not call on us each individually. (This might be different for a smaller interview group).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Old Navy

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

applied online, called two weeks later and was set for group interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Old Navy.

Applied online, first had a phone interview and did well on that then went in for a group interview. Was interviewed in a group with two other females, tried to make it fun and upbeat. Asked somewhat normal interview questions. Had a second normal interview in the back, asked about availability, etc.

Interview Questions
    • During the group interview, they had a big die that you rolled and had to make an outfit from what the outcome of the die was. For example, teenage girl on picture day.   View Answer
    No negotiations, not seasonal anyway. $8 an hour.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Old Navy.

There were not many questions pertaining to us very much. We played one game and then they talked about what it was like to work at their store.

Interview Questions
    • Please bring in an item that shows what you are passionate about   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Old Navy in November 2013.

I applied online and they called me within a week and told me I needed to bring an item that was special to me to the interview.
    I went in and it was a group interview with five other people. We got to know each other, played a game, chose an outfit to present to each other and that was it. I brought my item, but we did nothing with it...
    The manager conducting this audition asked a few of us to stay and told us she'd call to set up an interview.
    I had my interview the next day and was hired.
    SMILE, be friendly and be involved!

Interview Questions
    • What's something you recently learned?
      I was an idiot (I'm still in High School) and talked about school. Try and talk about life lessons.
        Answer Question
    $8.25/hr and I accepted... this is my first job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online, a week later I got a call to schedule out an interview. It was a group interview, and fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your bestfriend? and what makes them your best friend?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Old Navy in October 2013.

The hiring process was quick and easy. Applied online in October of 2013 and was called the next day to attend a group interview the same day. The group interview was laid back with simple questions. It's hard to stand out so try to be the first the answer the questions. After the group interview, each applicant had a private interview with either the store manager or assistant store manager. The next day, I was given the job. After the holiday season was over, I was kept along with around 5 other seasonal applicants.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "Why are you awesome?". Coming up with an original answer to this question is very difficult.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Dartmouth, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Dartmouth, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Old Navy in October 2013.

I got a call a little after a week after applying and participated in a phone pre-screening with the hiring manager. She told me to bring an item I'm passionate about to the interview after setting me up for s group interview the next week.

At the interview, I was with three other candidates, all female and 2/3 of them were in school and I was the only girl there with no prior work experience. Anyway, we had to do an exercise where we had to break off in two groups of three and find three things we had in common. After that we colored and played games. The last exercise we had to do was go out on the sales floor and pick out an outfit to share with everyone. It took them 48 hours to call me about not being picked, even though I was the only one who had actual customer interaction the entire time. The odds were against me every step of the way because I had no prior experience, was not in college, and was probably the oldest candidate (I'm 20). The interview lasted an hour and fifteen minutes.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just asked about how hard/easy every exercise was.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Applied online, got a call, group interview, got asked to come back for second interview, for second interview had a one on one with a manager, got called right away after I left with an offer.

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Old Navy in December 2012.

I applied online, and within the week I had been contacted during the evening about a group interview that was being held the following day at 1:00pm. I arrived 15 minutes early for the group interview, and there were already a group of roughly five people waiting for the interview as well, all corralled near the men's storefront section of Old Navy. The manager briefly came by to let us know the interview would begin in 5 minutes, and then returned a little while later to take us to our interview location. By this point another four or five other interviewees had showed up as well. The manager informed us that we would be interviewing outside of the store due to the back room being full of stock.
    We came to a little dimly lit corner right outside of Old Navy, where we all huddled in an open circle around the manager, her back facing the wall corners. We began off with introductions about ourselves, and then segued into the interview questions. We first started off with generic retail interview questions where everyone went round and responded, and then started with new questions in which the first two or three people first to raise their hand would be able to respond, thereby seeing which of the interviewees could 'take initiative' and had a more 'leader' versus 'follower' mentality.

This portion of the group interview can be daunting, because you have to think fast before everyone else as well as try and set yourself apart by coming up with clever, thoughtful, creative, and hopefully witty responses.
    It can also be very intimidating for people with any sort of social anxiety to be put into this kind of interview environment, a sense of competition is inevitable and anxiety alone is hard enough to deal with. So that, coupled with everything else, can make a group interview process very difficult and hard not to freeze up. Being able to be comfortable, yourself, and relaxed is key. Preparing yourself mentally is what can really help, and hopefully land the job. I was not able to do that, and my anxiety got the better part of me. I froze up a lot mentally and was not able to relax and be myself.

For the rest of the interview the manager answered any of the questions the interviewees may have had. She concluded the interview with letting us know that whomever they were interested in would receive a phone call by Tuesday (the current day being Sunday), and whomever didn't make the cut would receive an email by Wednesday. She noted that she wouldn't be phoning the people who didn't make the cut because she couldn't stand turning down people, and the awkwardness that it made her feel. I admired her honesty, and unfortunately expected an email by that coming Wednesday.
    I knew that I wouldn't make the cut due to my anxiety, and worrying over other peoples' responses, trying not to sound like anyone else, thereby not allowing myself to think enough on being myself and giving my own honest and true responses.
    Thursday rolled around, and still no email. It has been a week since that initial interview, and I have still not received an email. I understand that it's definitely not on a manager's top to-do list, however I feel that it's not honorable to say one thing you'll follow through with, and then not commit to it.

Some additional notes about the overall interview-
    The overall unprofessionalism of the way the group interview was conducted did not jive well for myself. It was exceedingly distracting to be out in the open mall, huddled, while mall goers and their families milled about.
    I dressed business casual, and among the other interviewees, only one other woman did also. Everyone else had on street clothes, and were not wearing anything remotely interview appropriate.
    The manager was also wearing street clothes and sneakers.
    Almost all of the interviewees were under 22 years of age, including myself, and only one (the business casual dresser) was over 30 years of age. The majority seemed under 20 or still in high school.
    I recommend this interview process for anyone who does not mind unprofessionalism in an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What associate position would be your ideal position within Old Navy, and why are you best suited for this?   Answer Question