Oldcastle

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Oldcastle.

Two people interviewed me. The interview was very straightforward. There were few questions asked. They started off by asking me to tell about myself. After that, they asked for my resume. Then, they went through each of my previous jobs and leadership experiences. They then asked specific questions about my previous job.

Interview Questions
    • There were few questions asked. So the most difficult question was tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Plant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Oldcastle in August 2014.

Very slow in organizing interviewing dates and communication was lacking. Process took nearly 4 weeks and the company did not seem to interested/rushed with interviewing. I found it very unprofessional for such a reputable company.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oldcastle.

First I submitted an application online. A few days later a recruiter contacted me to schedule a phone interview which was with the recruiter. The first interview was mainly focused on my background, and high level information about the company. The second interview was a phone interview with my manager. She mainly told me specifics about my role in the company. The last interview was with several managers that asked me questions about my experience and how it could relate to the role.

Overall very smooth process, took about a month in total. Everyone was friendly and transparent in the process.

Interview Questions
    Was able to negotiate salary.

Senior IT Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Oldcastle in April 2014.

They are very slow in moving to the next interview phase and untimely in their communications. I found it to be very tacky and utterly unprofessional that they asked me the least amount of money that I would accept. Subsequenty, I found out that they do not even want to pay commensurate with local pay rates.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what is the lowest amount of money I would work for which I thought was very tacky.   View Answer

HRIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Oldcastle.

Typical interview. Multiple interviews in one appointment. Team was very approachable and nice, however very business oriented and focused. Awesome management team.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't any. I was happy with the first offer.

Credit Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oldcastle.

I received a call from their HR Recruiter and she briefly went over my resume and asked the usual questions. She followed up with an email to schedule an interview with the Dept. Director. I met with the Director over breakfast and had a very casual interview. I next interviewed with a two supervisors whom I would work with. Neither asked very difficult questions, it was almost like a meet and greet. Did not see any diversity at the company and I didn't get a call back or email after the process.

Interview Questions
    • "How would the person who works for you describe you".   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lunenburg, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Lunenburg, MA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oldcastle in May 2012.

First round of panel interviews with HR went well and professional. HR had prepared meaningful and relevant questions and conducted professional interviews. Second round of panel interviews were scheduled with GM and VP which were awkward. I was standing alone and allowed to roam the hallways/offices because the two gentlemen were late to the interview, and clearly unprepared. They did not have copies of my resume nor did they seem to have any knowledge about my background. They were not prepared with interview questions and those that were asked were weak. I found myself leading them through the right questions to educate them on my background. Red flags for a few of their comments/questions. I called the HR Manager immediately afterward to give her feedback and to let her know how the meeting went. However my call was never returned and she notified me via email late at night that I was not a selected candidate and that they went with someone else. Three days later the job was re-advertised and again 2 weeks later.

Claims Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Oldcastle in March 2012.

I was contacted via e-mail by an admin. asst. in the HR department. She scheduled the interview via e-mail. i interviewed with 5 top level directors/executives. The interviews were one on one but because there were 5 separate interviews it took almost 4 hours. I'm not complaining because 1:1 interviews are much easier than group/panel interviews in my opinion. I was told that they would have a decision by the end of the week. I did not hear anything by the end of the week so I e-mailed a few of the interviewers the following week. My e-mails were ignored. After a couple weeks I assumed I did not get the job. Over a month after the interview I received a rejection e-mail from HR. I am a woman minority and I am not saying that's the reason why I did not get the job but I will say that I did not see much diversity in the people that work there. They are mostly all male and white.

Accounting and Operations Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oldcastle in May 2008.

Applied on my University careers' website. The HQ in Atlanta contacted me first and conducted a basic phone interview; went over my resume and asked a few personality questions. After the phone interview they invited me to have a 1 on 1 interview at the local office where the job will take place. The 1 on 1 interview was the same as the phone interview but with more background check. No technical questions what so ever and both the phone and 1:1 interviewer is easy going.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of food do you see yourself as? (No joke they asked me this)   View Answer

Credit Analyst Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Oldcastle in April 2011.

I met with 2 people at once; the Supervisor and the Analyst, both of whom were getting promotions, therefore the Analyst would have then been my direct supervisor. (I was hired by and held a supervisor position under the manager of this company at another company prior.)

The interview went well and the typical questions were asked; nothing too difficult.
    Most of the interview was directed by the current supervisor who was leaving for another position in corporate.

At the end, salary was brought up by the senior member, asking me what I expected to be compensated. Instead of answering directly, as I have learned not to name a number and shoot myself in the foot, but to return the question with "what is the range appropriated for the position?" This has helped me find out if we are wasting each others' time. We were. The range offered was between 30-35k, whereas I mentioned I was expecting at least 10k more.

I was called about an hour later after returning home and was offered the position at the same compensation appropriated for the position. I declined the offer and was offered 2/3 a week (p/t) at a higher rate of pay. When I was asked what the hourly rate is that I would want, I explained that breaking down the allotted salary would equal "x"/hr. I added that I would not be needing health benefits. I was informed there would be discussion with senior management and he would return the call with the decision.

The next day I was called and was told by the soon to be credit and collection supervisor that the hourly rate was not accepted by senior management. When I asked what their recommendation of an hourly rate was, he said he didn't get one and that he was simply shot down and there was no further discussion between them. He ended the call by mentioned that he may have to put hiring someone on hold and seemed frustrated that it didn't work out and that he had no "say".

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall - they were basic questions you would find online, as they were read from a cheat sheet by the interviewer.   View Answer

Negotiations were one sided whereas they also could not see that in the end, they would be outputting less this way without the need for health benefits. In my experience this senior manager seemed to be repeating a habit of overworking and underpaying staff as done with the prior company. I decided it was best to pass.