Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.1

Hostess Interview

The interview process went well. Received my schedule and had great training. They are very good at training all the staff members. Everybody should know what to expect everyday.The communication is fantastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lima, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in August 2014.

The process is done entirely online. You cannot apply unless they have open positions. If you apply for multiple Darden restaurants and one of them begins the process with you it will suspend your applications in the other locations. Once you complete the application and assessment online if they wish to offer you an interview you will receive an email and have 48 hours to call the location and to schedule an interview. There will be a first interview and if they wish to proceed will give you a peer tour. The peer tour I think they're trying to give you an idea of the work environment and also see how you interact with your tour guide. They have a questionnaire to fill out but don't ask you any questions. Allow time. I was there for nearly an hour and a half, the last while just waiting to be told when to come back. I had a second interview the next day with the general manager. I was immediately offered a position but I think they normally will give calls back. They send you home with some books to read and sign but you do get paid for your time. They have orientation as a group when possible which takes several hours. I haven't begun training yet but I was told you receive 39.5 hours of training.

Interview Questions
    • If you were interviewing what kind of questions would you ask and why? Sell something from Olive Garden to me (in my case I'm not very familiar with Olive Garden so she let me sell something from where I currently work). Then asked me why I thought she had me do that. Why do I think the interview process consists of multiple interviews and a peer tour/   Answer Question
    You pretty much don't get to negotiate a server wage. It just is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Junction, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Junction, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in March 2014.

I brought my resume into our local Olive Garden and was contacted on the phone a couple days later to come in for an interview. Came in for the interview and met with the hiring manager and then was interviewed by the general manager. Waited about 2 days and got called to notify me I had gotten the job and when to come in for training.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were situational... "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult situation at work?"
      "How would you describe good customer service?"
      "Why do you want to work for Olive Garden?"
        View Answer

Line Cook Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

I was seated in a big family room and left alone for almost 5 hours with no interaction, after which a manager finally acknowledged me and stated he didn't even look at my application or my resume because he doesn't do things like that and just wanted to talk to me straight forward.

After talking about my kitchen experiences for about 20 minutes he left again and didn't return for another hour. I was then told when to come in to start my employment. It was very unnerving but ultimately a easy interview if I didn't have anything else scheduled for the day.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't very much difficult questions at all, It was a very brief interview.   Answer Question
    It was almost non existent, I was only briefly asked what was my salary at my previous position then it was glossed over and moved to another topic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waxahachie, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waxahachie, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2013.

Pretty easy and straight forward interviews. Had two separate interviews. One with staffing and training manager, and one with the GM. It was the basic corporate restaurant questions. They just read silly easy questions from a list. Did not take more than twenty minutes. I had my first interview with one manager, and the second was with the GM. I got the decision of whether I was hired a couple of minutes after the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Athens, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in August 2011.

Basic questions
    Not very hard
    Where do you see yourself in 3 years, 5 years
    1 on 1 interview
    Training was easy
    You and 5 others watching videos
    Some hands on
    Menu tests
    Best part is trying a bunch of food

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in January 2010.

very formal like reading from a book , people interviewing have no personality and very stern hiring and interview was very easy as they are eager to hire people due to short staff all the time

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in November 2011.

I personally had a very positive interview process with Olive Garden. I had two interviews. One with the Service manager, and one with the General manager. Both went very similarly. I was offered a beverage while I waited to be interviewed. It was a typical interview of questions about my background, my experience. I was explained the philosophies of Olive Garden, and what it is to have Hospitaliano. I was given a tour of the restaurant by a host, who conducted a "peer assessment". All in all, from application to interviews, I had a job before I knew it!

Interview Questions
    • To me, the most difficult question was, "What is your favorite thing to eat here at Olive Garden?" It was only difficult because prior to working there, I had only eaten there twice in my entire life! I answered salad because it was the first thing that came to mind! So know some menu items before going for your interview!   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating.

Server/Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in January 2014.

first interview was with assistant manager, and he just asked questions like "why do you wanna work here" and other questions about me and my experience, just feeling me out I guess. He told me he was going to set me up with a second interview with the General manager, and she asked a lot of questions regarding hypothetical situations and what I would do. Nothing scary or out of the ordinary. She seemed really nice even though she ended up being mean when I worked under her. Very easy interviews.

Interview Questions
    • "what would you do if a customer complained about their food?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it was a serving job so the salary is pretty much always gonna be $2.83. I think with hosting there is more room to negotiate depending on experience and possibly with cooking too. There are raises with those jobs too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wheeling, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

Did Application online which involved the personality questionnaire. Was called in for an interview three days later. Interviewed with the General Manager then he called me back the next day offering me the position as a server.

Interview Questions
    • What do I do when a guest is upset and you cannot fix their problem?   Answer Question

Worked for Olive Garden Italian Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!