Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I had to interview with 3 different managers. They all told me something different and one told me there was no lomger a job available. After talking with him I went back with speaking to the others and got the job. Hiring process took about a month before i started training.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Best way to make money is to cross train and pick up a lot of shifts.

Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Very quick interview process, they asked a few basic questions which I gave straight responses to. I was interviewed by one individual and sent to another to get my acceptance package. I was way over qualified and they gave the job on the spot

There was none

Hoestess Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Very specific to the family theme. Questions were generic. Not very difficult. Every answer had to relate to the family style theme. My interviewer was running late. I thought it went well because they gave me a tour and had me speak to other workers, but I heard nothing for two weeks after. I called to ask the status of my application and they said the position was filled weeks ago and that they told me they said they wouldn't call if I didn't get it. It seemed rude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I was recommended by an employee at the time so I skipped the phone screen. I was asked to come in, and at the time I had only a motorcycle as a form of transportation. They were extremely supportive as I came in proper interviewing attire. I was asked pretty basic interviewing questions with role plays and scenarios. They look for anybody who isn't anti social. This doesn't really put down their training though because they do welcome many people who don't have serving experience and allow them to go through a two week training process. Although I'm a believer in learning from action, the time, professionalism and proper management of the training program really gears someone who is made to serve, into a good server.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you encountered a disgruntled guest and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

take an online 1 hour test, first speak on the phone for about 45 min with a recruiter, then the final stage would be an interview with a director in the region you are applying

Interview Questions
    • not any difficult questions it is very easy to get the job if you are personable and experienced they need managers now has a couple have quit   Answer Question

Prep Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in December 2014.

Applied Online. Did Assessment then received an E Mail 2 days later requesting me to call to set up an interview. Called Interview set for the next day. Had 1st interview, went fine. Normal interview questions like personality & work ethics. It took about 1 hour to go thru all that including the Assessment test. 2 nd interview set up for a week later.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle a Server that is yelling because she has a 25 min ticket?   Answer Question
    No room for negotiations its pretty cut & dried in this area of NY

Salad Alley Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in December 2014.

I had an interview with the general manager, but had to wait a while because the restaurant was quite busy. We went to a back room where I was offered a drink, it was very casual. A lot of information was given to me all at once and nothing on paper. Questions were not very difficult and the manager answered my questions thoroughly. Overall it was a satisfactory experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here has got to be the most difficult, because you simply can't say "I need the money" because everyone says that and everyone needs money.   View Answer
    I have open availability, which gives more chances to have better hours. If you want a set schedule that is the same every week, do not have open availability.

Server Interview

First a phone call to confirm in person meeting. First interview on experience, personality, and work ethics. Last interview to set work hours if you get here you are hired!

Interview Questions
    Really only talked about availability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Initially I talked to the general manager for about thirty minutes on the phone. He appeared to believe that there was something worth exploring, because even though he said the restaurant wasn't hiring servers, he emailed me an interview invitation. I was instructed to contact his assistant manager later that day and schedule an appointment. When I called, I asked for the assistant manager, but was promptly placed on hold for 45 minutes (Clue #1). Finally, the assistant manager came to the phone, but informed me that she would need to look at my application before she would grant me time for an interview (Clue #2—her boss told me to call. Didn’t she trust her boss’s judgment? Did she think I was trying to trick her into interviewing me? If I were trying to trick her, would I really have had a chance at working for the restaurant? I mean, how far would I have gotten in the process if I were caught in a lie?) The first two clues should have alerted me: I was going to be utterly wasting my time. Still, assistant manager told me that she would call back in a couple days. When she didn’t, for some reason, remaining eager to show them I was persistent, I called a week later. At last she me told, yes, she’d seen the application, and at the time, suddenly she sounded eager to set up a day and time for an interview.

On the fateful day, I arrived early, asked the host to show me around. Beautiful restaurant, inviting décor; I started to get a bit excited. After the short tour I was asked to wait in the tiny bar. Finally, a woman appeared, but this wasn’t the manager I talked to on the phone. Instead, the woman told me the manager I had talked to on the phone was too busy (of course, the restaurant was nearly empty, I’m not sure what she was busy with), so instead she would be interviewing me. Right away, I got the distinct impression this woman didn’t want any part of interviewing me. Immediately, she made me feel as though our chat was going to be a waste of her precious talents. She literally scowled at me the whole time. She didn’t smile once during the whole ten minutes she deemed to talk to me. Toward the beginning of the interview I dared to ask an innocuous question. She didn’t bother with an answer; instead, she snapped: “I’ll ask the questions!” I felt as though I’d been slapped. Really? I can’t ask any questions? Shame on me for not saying “No, you won’t be asking me any questions. I won’t be talking to you. Goodbye.”

But, alas, sadly, I stayed. After putting me back on me heels, she proceeded to ask me exactly six questions. 1) What was my name (something she should have clearly already known)? 2) Did I have experience/Where had I worked? 3) Why was I looking for change? 4) What was my bosses’ name (a stealthy, insidious question; she hadn’t secured permission to call my employer. This was actually a threat.)? 5) Did I have reliable transportation (a clue that she was mainly used to dealing with irresponsible teenagers—which I am most assuredly and visibly not)? 6) Did I have a cell phone, not just a “phone,” but a “cell phone” (as though OG employees are required to be on call all day every day of their lives)? Most of the questions, in combination with a oppressive demeanor seemed designed to place me in a tightly controlled box, refusing to allow any personal expression, preventing me from showing her why I thought I was a good server, or how I could help the restaurant, utterly failing to find out why her boss, the General Manager of the store—even though the restaurant wasn’t hiring servers—brought me in for an interview.

Obviously, I wasn’t offered a job. However, even if somehow I had been offered a job, there is NO chance I’ll be working for THAT particular team of managers. Upon some contemplation, more likely, probably, I was just called in to scare the servers (See? We have a steady stream of applicants…you better be selling more wine!).

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I applied online and within a few days I got a call to schedule an interview, which consisted of two questions (something along the lines of "Tell me about yourself" and "What are your hobbies?" I tend was given a tour around the restaurant by another server then told I could leave. The entire ordeal lasted less than 15 minutes. I got called back for a second interview the next day. The second interview was a short conversation about personal strengths and how you handle stress. I was hired on the spot. The entire process took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you were under an extreme of amount of stress and how you handled it   Answer Question
    No negotiation