Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.1

Host/Hostess Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

They didn't actually talk to me until fifteen minutes after my interview time. They weren't busy and no one bothered to explain to me that the manager was busy or anything else. i was left waiting for ten or more minutes in between the different parts of the interview. I spent forty five minutes in there and maybe talked to someone for fifteen.

Hostess Interview

The interview process went well. Received my schedule and had great training. They are very good at training all the staff members. Everybody should know what to expect everyday.The communication is fantastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied online and got an email a couple days later saying to call within 48 hours to set up an interview. I called and the interview was set up for 2 days later. I interviewed with one manager, which took about an hour and fifteen minutes. At the end of the interview I was told I was hired. The whole process between interviewing, orientation, and training took about 3 weeks because they like to train people in groups if possible.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult. There was a scenario question that required me to describe myself in one word, which I wasn't really expecting.   Answer Question
    There isn't any negotiating for a server position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied on-line which took less than an hour including the standard application questions and then a personality questionnaire. I was called the next Monday (week and a half later) and interviewed the next day (Tuesday) then had orientation the following day (Wednesday). I believe this process moved along a bit faster than normal because I was the last hired so they wanted to squeeze me into an already scheduled orientation. Also, because all of the managers happened to be there I believe that I technically went through a first and second interview all in one setting.

Interview Questions
    • 1.Sell me one of our dishes. (one may want to study the menu a little) 2. Can you read guests emotions and if so, how? 3.Define integrity, respect and teamwork.   View Answer
    Due to the nature of serving (receiving tips) it is assumed that the better server you are the better tips you will make.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in August 2014.

The process is done entirely online. You cannot apply unless they have open positions. If you apply for multiple Darden restaurants and one of them begins the process with you it will suspend your applications in the other locations. Once you complete the application and assessment online if they wish to offer you an interview you will receive an email and have 48 hours to call the location and to schedule an interview. There will be a first interview and if they wish to proceed will give you a peer tour. The peer tour I think they're trying to give you an idea of the work environment and also see how you interact with your tour guide. They have a questionnaire to fill out but don't ask you any questions. Allow time. I was there for nearly an hour and a half, the last while just waiting to be told when to come back. I had a second interview the next day with the general manager. I was immediately offered a position but I think they normally will give calls back. They send you home with some books to read and sign but you do get paid for your time. They have orientation as a group when possible which takes several hours. I haven't begun training yet but I was told you receive 39.5 hours of training.

Interview Questions
    • If you were interviewing what kind of questions would you ask and why? Sell something from Olive Garden to me (in my case I'm not very familiar with Olive Garden so she let me sell something from where I currently work). Then asked me why I thought she had me do that. Why do I think the interview process consists of multiple interviews and a peer tour/   Answer Question
    You pretty much don't get to negotiate a server wage. It just is.

Server/Salesperson Interview

Had to interview with all four of the managers, which took nearly 3 weeks to work with both my and the different managers unique schedules. They all were very professional however, asked good questions (some of them very challenging) and were quite friendly all at the same time. The general manager did a great job of purveying that he expected his employees to be held to very high standards, both by the restaurant and themselves. Only other downside was that it took about 6 weeks in total between the difficulties experienced with scheduling the interviews (due largely to my complicated schedule) and the fact that it took another 3 weeks to get our training together (there were only 3 people in our training group, and again, all of us had complex school/work schedules). Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation I had to deal with in my serving career, and how did I respond to it?   Answer Question

Back Up/Production Interview

i had one interview with two people...they basically ask normal questions. tell me a lil about yourself, where have you worked before. what are your pros and cons. how long do you see yourself working for use. Why should we hire you out of the other 9 i interviewed.

If you have experience, they will work on you about how much you make.

Server Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Interview went pretty well. There weren't any difficult questions. Just be yourself. Prepare to have stories to tell about your most recent job. The interview mostly consist of telling about yoir qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a stressful situation you had at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

I sat with the first manager and was asked basic costumer service questions, along with some tough ones. The GM then came in and asked me almost the same questions. They went back and talked and came back and say down and let me know of their decision.

Interview Questions
    • What are some disputes you've had with customers?   View Answer
    • How can you make a memorable experience for our guests?   View Answer
    • Why do we need people to come back in?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

Did Application online which involved the personality questionnaire. Was called in for an interview three days later. Interviewed with the General Manager then he called me back the next day offering me the position as a server.

Interview Questions
    • What do I do when a guest is upset and you cannot fix their problem?   Answer Question