Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I was recommended by an employee at the time so I skipped the phone screen. I was asked to come in, and at the time I had only a motorcycle as a form of transportation. They were extremely supportive as I came in proper interviewing attire. I was asked pretty basic interviewing questions with role plays and scenarios. They look for anybody who isn't anti social. This doesn't really put down their training though because they do welcome many people who don't have serving experience and allow them to go through a two week training process. Although I'm a believer in learning from action, the time, professionalism and proper management of the training program really gears someone who is made to serve, into a good server.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you encountered a disgruntled guest and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

take an online 1 hour test, first speak on the phone for about 45 min with a recruiter, then the final stage would be an interview with a director in the region you are applying

Interview Questions
    • not any difficult questions it is very easy to get the job if you are personable and experienced they need managers now has a couple have quit   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

First a phone call to confirm in person meeting. First interview on experience, personality, and work ethics. Last interview to set work hours if you get here you are hired!

Interview Questions
    Really only talked about availability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Initially I talked to the general manager for about thirty minutes on the phone. He appeared to believe that there was something worth exploring, because even though he said the restaurant wasn't hiring servers, he emailed me an interview invitation. I was instructed to contact his assistant manager later that day and schedule an appointment. When I called, I asked for the assistant manager, but was promptly placed on hold for 45 minutes (Clue #1). Finally, the assistant manager came to the phone, but informed me that she would need to look at my application before she would grant me time for an interview (Clue #2—her boss told me to call. Didn’t she trust her boss’s judgment? Did she think I was trying to trick her into interviewing me? If I were trying to trick her, would I really have had a chance at working for the restaurant? I mean, how far would I have gotten in the process if I were caught in a lie?) The first two clues should have alerted me: I was going to be utterly wasting my time. Still, assistant manager told me that she would call back in a couple days. When she didn’t, for some reason, remaining eager to show them I was persistent, I called a week later. At last she me told, yes, she’d seen the application, and at the time, suddenly she sounded eager to set up a day and time for an interview.

On the fateful day, I arrived early, asked the host to show me around. Beautiful restaurant, inviting décor; I started to get a bit excited. After the short tour I was asked to wait in the tiny bar. Finally, a woman appeared, but this wasn’t the manager I talked to on the phone. Instead, the woman told me the manager I had talked to on the phone was too busy (of course, the restaurant was nearly empty, I’m not sure what she was busy with), so instead she would be interviewing me. Right away, I got the distinct impression this woman didn’t want any part of interviewing me. Immediately, she made me feel as though our chat was going to be a waste of her precious talents. She literally scowled at me the whole time. She didn’t smile once during the whole ten minutes she deemed to talk to me. Toward the beginning of the interview I dared to ask an innocuous question. She didn’t bother with an answer; instead, she snapped: “I’ll ask the questions!” I felt as though I’d been slapped. Really? I can’t ask any questions? Shame on me for not saying “No, you won’t be asking me any questions. I won’t be talking to you. Goodbye.”

But, alas, sadly, I stayed. After putting me back on me heels, she proceeded to ask me exactly six questions. 1) What was my name (something she should have clearly already known)? 2) Did I have experience/Where had I worked? 3) Why was I looking for change? 4) What was my bosses’ name (a stealthy, insidious question; she hadn’t secured permission to call my employer. This was actually a threat.)? 5) Did I have reliable transportation (a clue that she was mainly used to dealing with irresponsible teenagers—which I am most assuredly and visibly not)? 6) Did I have a cell phone, not just a “phone,” but a “cell phone” (as though OG employees are required to be on call all day every day of their lives)? Most of the questions, in combination with a oppressive demeanor seemed designed to place me in a tightly controlled box, refusing to allow any personal expression, preventing me from showing her why I thought I was a good server, or how I could help the restaurant, utterly failing to find out why her boss, the General Manager of the store—even though the restaurant wasn’t hiring servers—brought me in for an interview.

Obviously, I wasn’t offered a job. However, even if somehow I had been offered a job, there is NO chance I’ll be working for THAT particular team of managers. Upon some contemplation, more likely, probably, I was just called in to scare the servers (See? We have a steady stream of applicants…you better be selling more wine!).

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I applied online and within a few days I got a call to schedule an interview, which consisted of two questions (something along the lines of "Tell me about yourself" and "What are your hobbies?" I tend was given a tour around the restaurant by another server then told I could leave. The entire ordeal lasted less than 15 minutes. I got called back for a second interview the next day. The second interview was a short conversation about personal strengths and how you handle stress. I was hired on the spot. The entire process took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you were under an extreme of amount of stress and how you handled it   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Host/Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I received a phone call within 2 days of applying due to a high personality test score. I was Interviewed in 3 days by two managers, since the third manager was on vacation it was only two. After the interview, I was given a tour of the restaurant. On this tour of the restaurant, the guide will lead you around the store explaining how each area functioned. The guide will determine whether you're a good fit for the restaurant and employees, they will let the manager know what they think. After the tour, I was offered the job and started working the following week.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't encountered and difficult or unexpected questions, since I'm familiar with customer service at a restaurant.   Answer Question
    When interviewing with a manager make sure you smile, are very friendly, and demonstrate that you exceed in customer service.

Kitchen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in November 2014.

Interview was easy. I was hired on the spot. No difficult questions. They offered me a position that they needed people. They asked me how much i earned in a little place i used to work 7 years ago and after that they hired me adding only a dollar. 11 dollars an hour is very little for a kitchen and i didnt know. The minimun is 14 in New York City

they tell you you are going to grow...

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

They didn't actually talk to me until fifteen minutes after my interview time. They weren't busy and no one bothered to explain to me that the manager was busy or anything else. i was left waiting for ten or more minutes in between the different parts of the interview. I spent forty five minutes in there and maybe talked to someone for fifteen.

Host/Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in October 2014.

The hiring process was a bit confusing. I was interviewed, the manager gave really great feedback but didn't proceed to hire me. The manager told me he would get back to within a day, took 7 days just to get turned down. I'm pretty sure my age played a role in not getting it. Olive Garden does sell liquor so the ACTUAL age requirement might be 18.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in October 2014.

I had already successfully passed the online assessment from a prior application so I was contacted by an district manager for an on site interview. We met in one of the stores. It was a casual format and we talked for some time. There were questions about leadership style, problem solving, etc. nothing very difficult. It seemed to go well, to the point of discussing which stores were best for me.
     I then met with the general manager of the unit. After being shown the restaurant I was told by the area director that he would personally contact me in the next 2-3 days.
    After a week went by I followed up via phone. I was told something entirely different this time. I consider the experience very unprofessional especially given that Darden is so highly regarded in the business. It is okay to say we are not interested in you, it is NOT okay to lead me on and then tell
    me a fish story.