Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.1

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

First a phone call to confirm in person meeting. First interview on experience, personality, and work ethics. Last interview to set work hours if you get here you are hired!

Interview Questions
    Really only talked about availability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Initially I talked to the general manager for about thirty minutes on the phone. He appeared to believe that there was something worth exploring, because even though he said the restaurant wasn't hiring servers, he emailed me an interview invitation. I was instructed to contact his assistant manager later that day and schedule an appointment. When I called, I asked for the assistant manager, but was promptly placed on hold for 45 minutes (Clue #1). Finally, the assistant manager came to the phone, but informed me that she would need to look at my application before she would grant me time for an interview (Clue #2—her boss told me to call. Didn’t she trust her boss’s judgment? Did she think I was trying to trick her into interviewing me? If I were trying to trick her, would I really have had a chance at working for the restaurant? I mean, how far would I have gotten in the process if I were caught in a lie?) The first two clues should have alerted me: I was going to be utterly wasting my time. Still, assistant manager told me that she would call back in a couple days. When she didn’t, for some reason, remaining eager to show them I was persistent, I called a week later. At last she me told, yes, she’d seen the application, and at the time, suddenly she sounded eager to set up a day and time for an interview.

On the fateful day, I arrived early, asked the host to show me around. Beautiful restaurant, inviting décor; I started to get a bit excited. After the short tour I was asked to wait in the tiny bar. Finally, a woman appeared, but this wasn’t the manager I talked to on the phone. Instead, the woman told me the manager I had talked to on the phone was too busy (of course, the restaurant was nearly empty, I’m not sure what she was busy with), so instead she would be interviewing me. Right away, I got the distinct impression this woman didn’t want any part of interviewing me. Immediately, she made me feel as though our chat was going to be a waste of her precious talents. She literally scowled at me the whole time. She didn’t smile once during the whole ten minutes she deemed to talk to me. Toward the beginning of the interview I dared to ask an innocuous question. She didn’t bother with an answer; instead, she snapped: “I’ll ask the questions!” I felt as though I’d been slapped. Really? I can’t ask any questions? Shame on me for not saying “No, you won’t be asking me any questions. I won’t be talking to you. Goodbye.”

But, alas, sadly, I stayed. After putting me back on me heels, she proceeded to ask me exactly six questions. 1) What was my name (something she should have clearly already known)? 2) Did I have experience/Where had I worked? 3) Why was I looking for change? 4) What was my bosses’ name (a stealthy, insidious question; she hadn’t secured permission to call my employer. This was actually a threat.)? 5) Did I have reliable transportation (a clue that she was mainly used to dealing with irresponsible teenagers—which I am most assuredly and visibly not)? 6) Did I have a cell phone, not just a “phone,” but a “cell phone” (as though OG employees are required to be on call all day every day of their lives)? Most of the questions, in combination with a oppressive demeanor seemed designed to place me in a tightly controlled box, refusing to allow any personal expression, preventing me from showing her why I thought I was a good server, or how I could help the restaurant, utterly failing to find out why her boss, the General Manager of the store—even though the restaurant wasn’t hiring servers—brought me in for an interview.

Obviously, I wasn’t offered a job. However, even if somehow I had been offered a job, there is NO chance I’ll be working for THAT particular team of managers. Upon some contemplation, more likely, probably, I was just called in to scare the servers (See? We have a steady stream of applicants…you better be selling more wine!).

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I applied online and within a few days I got a call to schedule an interview, which consisted of two questions (something along the lines of "Tell me about yourself" and "What are your hobbies?" I tend was given a tour around the restaurant by another server then told I could leave. The entire ordeal lasted less than 15 minutes. I got called back for a second interview the next day. The second interview was a short conversation about personal strengths and how you handle stress. I was hired on the spot. The entire process took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you were under an extreme of amount of stress and how you handled it   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Host/Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I received a phone call within 2 days of applying due to a high personality test score. I was Interviewed in 3 days by two managers, since the third manager was on vacation it was only two. After the interview, I was given a tour of the restaurant. On this tour of the restaurant, the guide will lead you around the store explaining how each area functioned. The guide will determine whether you're a good fit for the restaurant and employees, they will let the manager know what they think. After the tour, I was offered the job and started working the following week.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't encountered and difficult or unexpected questions, since I'm familiar with customer service at a restaurant.   Answer Question
    When interviewing with a manager make sure you smile, are very friendly, and demonstrate that you exceed in customer service.

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

They didn't actually talk to me until fifteen minutes after my interview time. They weren't busy and no one bothered to explain to me that the manager was busy or anything else. i was left waiting for ten or more minutes in between the different parts of the interview. I spent forty five minutes in there and maybe talked to someone for fifteen.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in October 2014.

I had already successfully passed the online assessment from a prior application so I was contacted by an district manager for an on site interview. We met in one of the stores. It was a casual format and we talked for some time. There were questions about leadership style, problem solving, etc. nothing very difficult. It seemed to go well, to the point of discussing which stores were best for me.
     I then met with the general manager of the unit. After being shown the restaurant I was told by the area director that he would personally contact me in the next 2-3 days.
    After a week went by I followed up via phone. I was told something entirely different this time. I consider the experience very unprofessional especially given that Darden is so highly regarded in the business. It is okay to say we are not interested in you, it is NOT okay to lead me on and then tell
    me a fish story.

Backup Prep Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkton, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in October 2014.

Initial communication was ok, i set up the interview with the hiring manager but after that was when things went downhill. The manager conducting the face to face interview was rude and scattered actually said he wished the hiring manager hadnt scheduled the interview then because he needed to be in the back. He grilled be on my experience and disregarded my over 3 yrs of experience working in a fast paced food prep positions. Not to mention he didnt even have my resume. We were constantly interrupted and he reprimanded an associate right in front of me saying a customer giving the feedback that the meal was good not great was not exceptible. So my preception of the company and tge management is perfectionism and a rushed so\so service. Perhaps the good not great feedback is a reflection of the managements inability to focus on one time at a time He looked at my resume said wow at my experience but didnt diiscuss any specifics. Said he would talk to hiring manager and would personally call me back and gave an unrealistic expectation, also called himself an honest man and said he could see me filling a few positions. So i waited for the call that never came for like three weeks, then contacted the hiring manager who told me the chef never even spoke to her and said she would get back to me but never did. I was left on hold for a total of 60mins. So in essence i didnt get the job. So my preception of the office, company and associates is summed up as rushed at the expense of quality. The work culture would be discouraging, critical and non satisfactory. I had a total of 2 interviews

Interview Questions
    • You made more at your last job, why downsize to this pay? -which they never told me was the wages i would earn.   View Answer

Host/Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in October 2014.

The hiring process was a bit confusing. I was interviewed, the manager gave really great feedback but didn't proceed to hire me. The manager told me he would get back to within a day, took 7 days just to get turned down. I'm pretty sure my age played a role in not getting it. Olive Garden does sell liquor so the ACTUAL age requirement might be 18.

Hostess Interview

The interview process went well. Received my schedule and had great training. They are very good at training all the staff members. Everybody should know what to expect everyday.The communication is fantastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied online and got an email a couple days later saying to call within 48 hours to set up an interview. I called and the interview was set up for 2 days later. I interviewed with one manager, which took about an hour and fifteen minutes. At the end of the interview I was told I was hired. The whole process between interviewing, orientation, and training took about 3 weeks because they like to train people in groups if possible.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult. There was a scenario question that required me to describe myself in one word, which I wasn't really expecting.   Answer Question
    There isn't any negotiating for a server position.