Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.2

89 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

First a phone call to confirm in person meeting. First interview on experience, personality, and work ethics. Last interview to set work hours if you get here you are hired!

Interview Questions
Really only talked about availability.

Other Interview Reviews for Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Initially I talked to the general manager for about thirty minutes on the phone. He appeared to believe that there was something worth exploring, because even though he said the restaurant wasn't hiring servers, he emailed me an interview invitation. I was instructed to contact his assistant manager later that day and schedule an appointment. When I called, I asked for the assistant manager, but was promptly placed on hold for 45 minutes (Clue #1). Finally, the assistant manager came to the phone, but informed me that she would need to look at my application before she would grant me time for an interview (Clue #2—her boss told me to call. Didn’t she trust her boss’s judgment? Did she think I was trying to trick her into interviewing me? If I were trying to trick her, would I really have had a chance at working for the restaurant? I mean, how far would I have gotten in the process if I were caught in a lie?) The first two clues should have alerted me: I was going to be utterly wasting my time. Still, assistant manager told me that she would call back in a couple days. When she didn’t, for some reason, remaining eager to show them I was persistent, I called a week later. At last she me told, yes, she’d seen the application, and at the time, suddenly she sounded eager to set up a day and time for an interview.

On the fateful day, I arrived early, asked the host to show me around. Beautiful restaurant, inviting décor; I started to get a bit excited. After the short tour I was asked to wait in the tiny bar. Finally, a woman appeared, but this wasn’t the manager I talked to on the phone. Instead, the woman told me the manager I had talked to on the phone was too busy (of course, the restaurant was nearly empty, I’m not sure what she was busy with), so instead she would be interviewing me. Right away, I got the distinct impression this woman didn’t want any part of interviewing me. Immediately, she made me feel as though our chat was going to be a waste of her precious talents. She literally scowled at me the whole time. She didn’t smile once during the whole ten minutes she deemed to talk to me. Toward the beginning of the interview I dared to ask an innocuous question. She didn’t bother with an answer; instead, she snapped: “I’ll ask the questions!” I felt as though I’d been slapped. Really? I can’t ask any questions? Shame on me for not saying “No, you won’t be asking me any questions. I won’t be talking to you. Goodbye.”

But, alas, sadly, I stayed. After putting me back on me heels, she proceeded to ask me exactly six questions. 1) What was my name (something she should have clearly already known)? 2) Did I have experience/Where had I worked? 3) Why was I looking for change? 4) What was my bosses’ name (a stealthy, insidious question; she hadn’t secured permission to call my employer. This was actually a threat.)? 5) Did I have reliable transportation (a clue that she was mainly used to dealing with irresponsible teenagers—which I am most assuredly and visibly not)? 6) Did I have a cell phone, not just a “phone,” but a “cell phone” (as though OG employees are required to be on call all day every day of their lives)? Most of the questions, in combination with a oppressive demeanor seemed designed to place me in a tightly controlled box, refusing to allow any personal expression, preventing me from showing her why I thought I was a good server, or how I could help the restaurant, utterly failing to find out why her boss, the General Manager of the store—even though the restaurant wasn’t hiring servers—brought me in for an interview.

Obviously, I wasn’t offered a job. However, even if somehow I had been offered a job, there is NO chance I’ll be working for THAT particular team of managers. Upon some contemplation, more likely, probably, I was just called in to scare the servers (See? We have a steady stream of applicants…you better be selling more wine!).

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

I applied online and within a few days I got a call to schedule an interview, which consisted of two questions (something along the lines of "Tell me about yourself" and "What are your hobbies?" I tend was given a tour around the restaurant by another server then told I could leave. The entire ordeal lasted less than 15 minutes. I got called back for a second interview the next day. The second interview was a short conversation about personal strengths and how you handle stress. I was hired on the spot. The entire process took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you were under an extreme of amount of stress and how you handled it   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied online and got an email a couple days later saying to call within 48 hours to set up an interview. I called and the interview was set up for 2 days later. I interviewed with one manager, which took about an hour and fifteen minutes. At the end of the interview I was told I was hired. The whole process between interviewing, orientation, and training took about 3 weeks because they like to train people in groups if possible.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that difficult. There was a scenario question that required me to describe myself in one word, which I wasn't really expecting.   Answer Question
    There isn't any negotiating for a server position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied on-line which took less than an hour including the standard application questions and then a personality questionnaire. I was called the next Monday (week and a half later) and interviewed the next day (Tuesday) then had orientation the following day (Wednesday). I believe this process moved along a bit faster than normal because I was the last hired so they wanted to squeeze me into an already scheduled orientation. Also, because all of the managers happened to be there I believe that I technically went through a first and second interview all in one setting.

Interview Questions
    • 1.Sell me one of our dishes. (one may want to study the menu a little) 2. Can you read guests emotions and if so, how? 3.Define integrity, respect and teamwork.   View Answer
    Due to the nature of serving (receiving tips) it is assumed that the better server you are the better tips you will make.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in August 2014.

The process is done entirely online. You cannot apply unless they have open positions. If you apply for multiple Darden restaurants and one of them begins the process with you it will suspend your applications in the other locations. Once you complete the application and assessment online if they wish to offer you an interview you will receive an email and have 48 hours to call the location and to schedule an interview. There will be a first interview and if they wish to proceed will give you a peer tour. The peer tour I think they're trying to give you an idea of the work environment and also see how you interact with your tour guide. They have a questionnaire to fill out but don't ask you any questions. Allow time. I was there for nearly an hour and a half, the last while just waiting to be told when to come back. I had a second interview the next day with the general manager. I was immediately offered a position but I think they normally will give calls back. They send you home with some books to read and sign but you do get paid for your time. They have orientation as a group when possible which takes several hours. I haven't begun training yet but I was told you receive 39.5 hours of training.

Interview Questions
    • If you were interviewing what kind of questions would you ask and why? Sell something from Olive Garden to me (in my case I'm not very familiar with Olive Garden so she let me sell something from where I currently work). Then asked me why I thought she had me do that. Why do I think the interview process consists of multiple interviews and a peer tour/   Answer Question
    You pretty much don't get to negotiate a server wage. It just is.

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Interview went pretty well. There weren't any difficult questions. Just be yourself. Prepare to have stories to tell about your most recent job. The interview mostly consist of telling about yoir qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a stressful situation you had at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

I sat with the first manager and was asked basic costumer service questions, along with some tough ones. The GM then came in and asked me almost the same questions. They went back and talked and came back and say down and let me know of their decision.

Interview Questions
    • What are some disputes you've had with customers?   View Answer
    • How can you make a memorable experience for our guests?   View Answer
    • Why do we need people to come back in?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

Did Application online which involved the personality questionnaire. Was called in for an interview three days later. Interviewed with the General Manager then he called me back the next day offering me the position as a server.

Interview Questions
    • What do I do when a guest is upset and you cannot fix their problem?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Three individual interviews; one with the service manager, the sales manager, and finally, the general manager. All were pretty standard; they basically just want to get to know you and have an understanding of your character and work ethic, and find out about your experience in the food industry, and to make sure that you are reliable on transportation (i.e. car or bus).

Interview Questions
    • "How would you hand a guest who found a hair in their food and how would you respond if he threatened to walk out?"   Answer Question
    They told me I didn't have enough experience to be a server, and offered me a host position instead. However, it only took around two months to prove myself and almost immediately entered server training (much more money).