Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

2.2

83 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied online and got an email a couple days later saying to call within 48 hours to set up an interview. I called and the interview was set up for 2 days later. I interviewed with one manager, which took about an hour and fifteen minutes. At the end of the interview I was told I was hired. The whole process between interviewing, orientation, and training took about 3 weeks because they like to train people in groups if possible.

Interview Questions
  • The questions weren't that difficult. There was a scenario question that required me to describe myself in one word, which I wasn't really expecting.   Answer Question
There isn't any negotiating for a server position.

Other Interview Reviews for Olive Garden Italian Restaurants

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in September 2014.

I applied on-line which took less than an hour including the standard application questions and then a personality questionnaire. I was called the next Monday (week and a half later) and interviewed the next day (Tuesday) then had orientation the following day (Wednesday). I believe this process moved along a bit faster than normal because I was the last hired so they wanted to squeeze me into an already scheduled orientation. Also, because all of the managers happened to be there I believe that I technically went through a first and second interview all in one setting.

Interview Questions
    • 1.Sell me one of our dishes. (one may want to study the menu a little) 2. Can you read guests emotions and if so, how? 3.Define integrity, respect and teamwork.   View Answer
    Due to the nature of serving (receiving tips) it is assumed that the better server you are the better tips you will make.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in August 2014.

The process is done entirely online. You cannot apply unless they have open positions. If you apply for multiple Darden restaurants and one of them begins the process with you it will suspend your applications in the other locations. Once you complete the application and assessment online if they wish to offer you an interview you will receive an email and have 48 hours to call the location and to schedule an interview. There will be a first interview and if they wish to proceed will give you a peer tour. The peer tour I think they're trying to give you an idea of the work environment and also see how you interact with your tour guide. They have a questionnaire to fill out but don't ask you any questions. Allow time. I was there for nearly an hour and a half, the last while just waiting to be told when to come back. I had a second interview the next day with the general manager. I was immediately offered a position but I think they normally will give calls back. They send you home with some books to read and sign but you do get paid for your time. They have orientation as a group when possible which takes several hours. I haven't begun training yet but I was told you receive 39.5 hours of training.

Interview Questions
    • If you were interviewing what kind of questions would you ask and why? Sell something from Olive Garden to me (in my case I'm not very familiar with Olive Garden so she let me sell something from where I currently work). Then asked me why I thought she had me do that. Why do I think the interview process consists of multiple interviews and a peer tour/   Answer Question
    You pretty much don't get to negotiate a server wage. It just is.

Server Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

Interview went pretty well. There weren't any difficult questions. Just be yourself. Prepare to have stories to tell about your most recent job. The interview mostly consist of telling about yoir qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a stressful situation you had at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

I sat with the first manager and was asked basic costumer service questions, along with some tough ones. The GM then came in and asked me almost the same questions. They went back and talked and came back and say down and let me know of their decision.

Interview Questions
    • What are some disputes you've had with customers?   View Answer
    • How can you make a memorable experience for our guests?   View Answer
    • Why do we need people to come back in?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, WV

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in July 2014.

Did Application online which involved the personality questionnaire. Was called in for an interview three days later. Interviewed with the General Manager then he called me back the next day offering me the position as a server.

Interview Questions
    • What do I do when a guest is upset and you cannot fix their problem?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Three individual interviews; one with the service manager, the sales manager, and finally, the general manager. All were pretty standard; they basically just want to get to know you and have an understanding of your character and work ethic, and find out about your experience in the food industry, and to make sure that you are reliable on transportation (i.e. car or bus).

Interview Questions
    • "How would you hand a guest who found a hair in their food and how would you respond if he threatened to walk out?"   Answer Question
    They told me I didn't have enough experience to be a server, and offered me a host position instead. However, it only took around two months to prove myself and almost immediately entered server training (much more money).

Server Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants.

It was along time ago because now its automated and done online. I applied in person and did a behavioral test on the spot. I was asked when is the best time for an interview and I said the next day. The interview was pretty easy. They ask basic behavioral questions. The Star method is what they used. Then they ask you why you want to be a server. As long as you relate your past experiences

Interview Questions
    you cant negotiate your wages in the restaurant industry. you are paid less than 3 dollars with is the law. Its called the Tip minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Olive Garden Italian Restaurants in April 2014.

I applied online and got an email a few days later letting me know that they have reviewed my resume and application and that I fit the description for the job and that I was eligible. They then asked me to call a manager within two days after the email was sent to set up an appointment which was only like 20 seconds long and very quick to set an appointment for the next day. Then I came in the next day and the interviewee asked me pretty basic questions like "what makes you a great server" "how did you handle a bad experience with a customer?" I was given a full restaurant tour after the first interview and was asked to come in for a second interview with the dining room manager and was asked more about more in depth about my previous employment. Overall was a great experience!

Interview Questions
    • When I was asked about the worst experience with a customer and how I handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN

I applied on Sunday and got a call to come in for an interview on Tuesday. I show up early and there are already four people waiting, and one getting interviewed in the bar. The manager comes over and asks for two of the people to meet him in the back. Which I later found out from a previous coworkers, means you got the job and start filling out paperwork. They didn't even interview them beforehand, just alread knew who they wanted to hire. I was interviewed in the bar and it was asked basic serving questions. The manager didn't even make eye contact with me during the whole process, even when I came to take a seat in front of him. At the end of the interview he asked if I had any questions for him. I asked when will I be informed if I got the job.He said that he had appreciated me wasting my time, in a nicer way, but there were numerous other applications of more qualified candidates and shook my hand. And of course I got an email later that night from Darden saying I didn't get the job basically.