Oliver Wyman

32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2013.

Interview Details – This process started at my university's career fair. I met recruiters and handed them my resume, and then proceeded to apply online. A week later, I was offered to take the quantitative analysis test online. This is a test conducted online and you are given a restricted time to answer math/logic based questions.

Interview Question – The hardest part was the quantitative analysis test.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in June 2010.

Interview Details – Two initial phone interviews, 45 minutes each, majority of time spent on the case. Was made invitation to continue at the end of each phone interview. Was invited to a super day and interviewed alongside 3 other candidates, 4 interviews, 3 cases, 1 fit. Received a no offer call within 2 hours of leaving for the interview. Good feedback though.

Interview Question – What was the most challenging part of [insert resume activity]?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back, worked with a partner and another analyst during two interviews to work towards solving a solution. Was helpful to lay out structure and then have the interviewer help to find the appropriate numbers. Make sure to check if your answer is reasonable. Try arriving at the problem in another way and comparing to your first answer.

Interview Question – Why is a manhole round?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2011.

Interview Details – Online test with basic math problems. I only made it through about ten, and not even sure if I got all of them, but managed to get to next step. Interviewer talked extremely fast and didn't seem like they were actually interested in conducting a thorough interview- probably calling several candidates. I was thrown off- I was interviewing for pharma, and the first q asked was estimate the size of the office supply market. Only at the end was a brief easy business q in regards to it.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed through on-campus recruiting. There was a computer-based quantitative test first. Then first round, two case interviews. Second round was 3 case interviews and 1 behavioral. The process was very well planned out. We were invited to networking events before interviews. The people at OW are super friendly and approachable, and I could really see myself enjoying working with them.

Interview Question – "Teach me something" Guess they wanted to see how well I can explain something clearly   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, I thought the offer was quite generous

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 2 senior consultants (30 min each), one behavior and one case. The behavioral component consisted of fairly standard quesitons -- why OW, tell me about a time you had difficulty working within a team, what's your proudest accomplishment, etc. The case tripped me up -- it was a fairly standard expectation problem if I recall correctly, but definitely a different flavor of case from McKinsey, Bain, BCG, & co. I got the impression that they expect their candidates to be up to snuff with their probability, so make sure you brush up beforehand. In general firm culture seemed a bit stiff, but both interviewers were fairly friendly and turn around time was reasonable.

Boston, MA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2010.

Interview Details – One online test first, 30 numeric questions in 30 min. Almost no way to finish all of them and should use skip button wisely. I finished 15 questions and got offered a phone case interview. It took 30 min and I was interviewed by a partner specializing in pharmaceutical industry. Talked about a case of drug development for a rare disease and he asked me to estimate the market size.

The key is in a phone case interview, you should speak out your rationale and steps to solve the case in first place, otherwise the interviewer wouldn't tell your structured thinking ability. This is very unlike in person interviews, in which you could draw a structure and the interviewer could see it. And the other key component of my interview is calculation. Lots of numbers in the equation so be prepared and patient.

Interview Question – Please help our client to estimate the market size of their drug being developed for a rare disease.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in July 2008.

Interview Details – Very competitive and very intense. Meet with a lot of the senior level consultants.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Oliver Wyman?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very competitive, yet willing to negotiate

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed for Analyst position with Oliver Wyman. Prior to interview I undertook online assessment test. My first interview was great. The interviewer was nice in speaking and calm and appreciated my inputs on case. Once I cleared first interview, I had second round. The second round was with an interviewer who was senior executive at the office. He called me a bit late and said that we will have to rush through the interview to which I agreed. After that we had typical interview questions and moved to case. I was well aware that I had to rush through the case given the time limit, so I made an assumption which was not acceptable and this created negative impact. So my advice would be to stick the rules of case solving, it would be fine to ask if you can make an assumption but be prepared to justify it .

Interview Question – How would you calculate the breakeven period given the fixed and variable costs ?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2009.

Interview Details – - on campus interview with associates
- final round in office with principals and partners
- case studies (rigorous)
- helpful feedback from current Oliver Wyman employees
- social events for all offerees
- very transparent process
- competent and efficient HR
- same day to 1 week turnaround for results

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – competing offer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Oliver Wyman

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!

Oliver Wyman Videos

Oliver Wyman – Why Work for Us?

Oliver Wyman is one of the world’s leading management consultancies. From strategy, operations, and risk management to organizational transformation and leadership development, we work with companies around the world to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oliver Wyman Analyst interview questions and advice. All 32 interview reviews posted anonymously by Oliver Wyman employees and interview candidates.