Oliver Wyman

Updated Nov 3, 2014

3.4

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I applied through on-campus recruiting at a target school. Attended a coffee chat with recruiters and consultants and received a first-round interview. They invited us to a small reception near campus, and the people there were great. The first round included two interviews - one case on entering a new market, and a full 30-minute fit interview. The case was with a partner, and she pushed me pretty hard on questions. The fit wasn't bad at all; just a chance to go through my resume.

Second round was in the Boston office, regardless of which offices you preference. Arrived at 7:45, in the office for three hours. Began with breakfast, then a 30-minute session in which they gave us a case (1 page, front/back) and we had time to prepare our presentation for a later session (which was not immediately after, in my case). Then a one-on-one case (fairly straightforward), a fit, and then the presentation. Ended with an informal Q&A session (non-evaluative). Each session was 30 minutes.

I received my offer that evening. Base rate is the highest I've seen at this level in the industry, and sign-on bonus is the most generous as well. Overall, great experience, very quick and efficient.

Interview Questions
    • We're running a school bus company that school districts can use to run their bus system. How do we expand our reach into school districts that run their own systems?   Answer Question
    No negotiation; it's the most competitive in the industry.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2014.

Initial screen on Wed., 7 back to back interviews on Fri., verbal offer on Monday! Very fast!

Interview Questions
    • Mostly standard questions. Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question
    No need for negotiations. I was pleased with the original offer.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

I recruited through my college's recruiting system. I had to take some online math test, you can google it to get a sense of what it might be like, and even though I skipped a lot of questions and wasn't sure about the ones I answered, I still got an interview, so I don't think the test is too important. They paired me up with a buddy who was really friendly who even took time out of his day to give me a practice interview over the phone. On the day of the interview, they probably had about 100 students interview throughout the day, and I had two 30 minute interviews. The first one the guy was not that chill and seemed bored, but the case was pretty easy. The second interview, the lady was really friendly but the case was about healthcare and pretty difficult. They told me later that night at around 7 PM that I had not made it, but gave me good feedback and that I should practice more cases.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview was about a start up company that paired personal trainers with clients over Skype. They asked what standards they could group the different clientele by.

The second interview question was about healthcare (which I know nothing about) and was a lot more difficult.

Answer Question

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

Interview consisted of 2 30 minute back to back case questions. One was extremely open ended and the interviewer guided you through it. The second was purely number crunching. Oliver Wyman really looks for people who can breeze through case questions and really doesn't care much about fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

After submitting my application, I had to do a timed numerical test online. There were a lot of questions and I did not complete them all, but managed to snag an interview. First Round interview consisted of two cases. The first case was on what kind of business I would like to open in my college town, and how I would go about it. The second one was trickier, and consisted of market sizing in the context of a health insurance-based case.

Interview Questions
    • How many people in (given) county in Florida do not have health insurance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2012.

My interview was split into two parts, intelligence and behavioral. Each part was given by a different consultant. During the intelligence interview I was asked to teach my interviewer something new and to estimate the size of a water reservoir that would serve Boston. We discussed my experiences during the behavioral interview. I found both interviewers very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the size of a water reservoir needed to serve the city of Boston.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

Applied for job via career center and was offered a first round interview. First round interview last one hour and consisted of 30 minutes of fit questions, followed by 30 minutes of a case interview. The fit interviewer seemed not to be interested in my resume and the case seemed fairly straightforward. Know how to use frameworks and do not just fit frameworks to cases.

Interview Questions
    • Identify countries with emerging markets for mobile banking (products/ services on a phone). Determine the market size of these developing countries.   Answer Question

Generalist Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2011.

I applied through their online application and received an email about a week later asking me to take an online quantitative test. The test was long and has more questions than can be answered: Geometry, probability, word problems, etc. The next day I was offered a phone interview. Within a week I was on the phone with a consultant from the Boston team. The phone interview was very straight forward (30mins) and consisted of the question "Why consulting" and then a case. My case was about declining profits/turnaround for a company that owned and operated parking garages. I messed up numbers...

They did call and give me feedback which was very helpful for my upcoming interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What should our client, a parking garage owner/operator, do to turnaround its business where profits are flat and competition is high.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in May 2011.

The interview process was one of the most thorough and comprehensive I have ever undertaken. It far exceeded previous interview processes I underwent for roles in high level public sector agencies, however it took 1/5 of the time and they probably captured more useful and relevant information about me.

The process was very seamless and smooth, once I was identified as a candidate to interview. I had a total of 5 interviews, starting with my hiring manager and I then met with two of the partners face 2 face in the Boston office and two interviews were conducted via phone. Since this role was in the Leadership Development Division, there were no case interviews, which would have been fine, since I have an MBA. I was actually prepared for cases, however that was not part of the process.

Each partner I interviewed with were working on very specific types of projects so we ended up talking about these projects, my background and interests. The interviews were progressive, which allowed me to glean more information about OWLD and they were not at all redundant. At times it certainly felt like I was running a marathon...Two sets of interviews were back to back, so that was a bit exhausting. I was given a chance to ask many questions and I felt that all of the responses were thoughtful, genuine and with no contradictions.

My sense is that they look for well grounded, intelligent, curious people with a positive attitude who they can develop over time. I think strength in character and judgement is also critical; given that the work involves working with very sensitive information, since our clients are C suite executives and etc.

Interview Questions
    This was a bit tricky, since I had the lucky and unusual situation of being offered slightly more than what I stated as my range. The bonus was also considerably more than what I was expecting. I tried to negotiate on other things, but it did not really resonate with them, so I dropped it, since I was happy with their offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2011.

Like everyone says, there is a skills test, 2 phone interviews and then an in-office interview. Helpful feedback is quickly provided by the interviewers. Very organized and pleasant process to go through compared to other firms. OW has a slightly different approach to case interviews than other firms, very focused on candidates ability to structure problem, not as concerned with the answer. Best for candidate to be very deliberate in framing answer, and not make too many assumptions without clarifying that you are making them first with interviewer. All in all a pleasant experience with a talented group of people.

Interview Questions
    • Decreasing market share case regarding a specialty running shoe manufacturer.   Answer Question
    • If you were to open a business in a storefront on main street, what would it be?   Answer Question

Would have gladly worked at OW, but received an offer from my 1st choice that I couldn't refuse.