Oliver Wyman Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.9

55 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2012.

One round of on-campus interviews (2 interviews - one case interview and one resume discussion and fit interview), and one on-site superday (2 case interviews + one panel interview + casual discussions with current consultants). One of the case interviews was not a typical business case, but instead a probability question with a unambiguously correct answer.

Interview Questions
  • Panel interview question: a business case is laid out before you, upon which you have 1 hour to prepare a 15 minute presentation of your solution to a panel of interviewers. My question involved optimal pricing of a commodity whose supply is fixed but perishable, i.e. failure to sell beyond a certain determined time results in loss of the commodity.   Answer Question
No real negotiation was allowed, beyond choosing a start date, as I joined with a larger class of recent college graduates.

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Behavior questions like describe a situation when you tackle a problems.. How would you introduce yourself in front of a group of people.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2014.

Pretty rigorous selection process. But at the end of it all, I was quite pleased to meet great people who strongly believe in the firm's culture.

Standard interview process: Online submission of application ->Online assessment test (be careful about the test, can make or break your application in first round itself) -> interviews with Associate, Senior Associate, Partner(s)

Interview Questions
    • Estimation cases can be quite challenging so do not undermine their importance   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Candidates selected were invited to a case-cracking workshop at OW's offices. Round 1 was organized and seamless, and consisted of one case and one fit interview. In Round 2, candidates were flown to OW's Toronto office for a superday. Candidates were rotated in and out of a conference room for different types of interviews: an informational 'non-evaluative' n (yeah right) interview, a fit with an analyst, a straightforward case and a presentation case.

Interview Questions
    • Presentation case: you're given 20 minutes to prepare at the beginning of the superday, after which you're given the chance to present the case to two senior consultants/directors. They walk through the case with you and interject with questions--can be nerve-wracking!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Company came for on-campus recruiting. Had a first-round interview on campus. Was invited after a few days to the final round of interviews (yes, just two rounds) at their NYC office. First-round interview had 1 case and 1 behavioral question, around 30 mins each. Final round had 2 cases, 1 behavioral and an opportunity to just chat with a consultant about the life at the firm. I think that was really nice - they say that it has no bearing on your assessment, but I can't be too sure. Also, one of the cases is a presentation case, so you have the opportunity to present your ideas to a panel of two consultants after 30 mins of preparation.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure that your predictive model is correct?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2013.

Applied through campus recruitment, took online numerical reasoning test. 30 questions, 20 minutes, wrong answers hurt you, and you can skip ones you don't answer.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2012.

I got involved with the recruiting process on campus. I submitted a resume and cover letter, and was offered a first-round interview where I was given two 30-minute cases. The interview had almost no "fit" components and was spent solving the case. Both of my interviewers were extremely friendly and helpful. I then interviewed in the office where I completed three 45-minute cases and one fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to think on your feet during the cases - I received multiple market sizing questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Three round of interviews. 2 x over the phone. 1 x final rounds with multiple partners and senior team members. All cases.

Interview Questions
    • Typical market sizing / profitability case interview questions with varying context (resorts, start-up business).   View Answer
    Limited room for negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Applied through my school's career services website and received a first round interview

Interview Questions
    • First interview involved a written case question. It was somewhat different than a normal case interview. They gave me 5 minutes to brainstorm and then we just had an extended conversation about the case.

Second round was a lot more indepth. There were 3 interviews - 2 cases and a presentation.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2012.

Oliver Wyman did a lot of campus recruiting at my university. I attended several information sessions, including a case interview workshop, and career fairs and had plenty of opportunity to network before applying for the job. Part of the application process was an online timed math/reasoning test. Once I applied, there was another information session and meet-and-greet for applicants. Once I was selected to interview, there was another more informal meet-and-greet with associates at a restaurant in my college town. Networking is very important to them-they value work life quality immensely, and so they want to make sure that people in the company like you and would want to work with you. The interview was a series of two case interviews. I was assigned an "interview buddy" to talk to about case interviews about a week before it took place. I would highly recommended practicing doing cases before the interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!