Oliver Wyman Consultant Interview Questions

3.9

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in August 2014.

I got an interview from going to a summer reception with Oliver Wyman. A week after the reception, I got an email saying that I had been invited to interview. I then signed up to interview and two people reached out to conduct a 30 minute case and 30 minute fit interview. The most frustrating part about the experience was that it was all conducted by phone in the first round, which is harder than it seems when walking the interviewer through the case. Though the interviewers were very friendly, I felt as though it would have been better having been in person.

My case was about a Medicare plan and whether or not a hospital should institute this cost-savings plan, and if it should implement (generally) new patient technology.

Interview Questions
  • Behavioral question: Tell me about a time you had trouble with group dynamics, and what did you do? Another one: What is one quality you see in others that you wish you had yourself (ie. what is a weakness)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Behavior questions like describe a situation when you tackle a problems.. How would you introduce yourself in front of a group of people.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2014.

Pretty rigorous selection process. But at the end of it all, I was quite pleased to meet great people who strongly believe in the firm's culture.

Standard interview process: Online submission of application ->Online assessment test (be careful about the test, can make or break your application in first round itself) -> interviews with Associate, Senior Associate, Partner(s)

Interview Questions
    • Estimation cases can be quite challenging so do not undermine their importance   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Candidates selected were invited to a case-cracking workshop at OW's offices. Round 1 was organized and seamless, and consisted of one case and one fit interview. In Round 2, candidates were flown to OW's Toronto office for a superday. Candidates were rotated in and out of a conference room for different types of interviews: an informational 'non-evaluative' n (yeah right) interview, a fit with an analyst, a straightforward case and a presentation case.

Interview Questions
    • Presentation case: you're given 20 minutes to prepare at the beginning of the superday, after which you're given the chance to present the case to two senior consultants/directors. They walk through the case with you and interject with questions--can be nerve-wracking!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Company came for on-campus recruiting. Had a first-round interview on campus. Was invited after a few days to the final round of interviews (yes, just two rounds) at their NYC office. First-round interview had 1 case and 1 behavioral question, around 30 mins each. Final round had 2 cases, 1 behavioral and an opportunity to just chat with a consultant about the life at the firm. I think that was really nice - they say that it has no bearing on your assessment, but I can't be too sure. Also, one of the cases is a presentation case, so you have the opportunity to present your ideas to a panel of two consultants after 30 mins of preparation.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure that your predictive model is correct?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2013.

Applied through campus recruitment, took online numerical reasoning test. 30 questions, 20 minutes, wrong answers hurt you, and you can skip ones you don't answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Three round of interviews. 2 x over the phone. 1 x final rounds with multiple partners and senior team members. All cases.

Interview Questions
    • Typical market sizing / profitability case interview questions with varying context (resorts, start-up business).   View Answer
    Limited room for negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Applied through my school's career services website and received a first round interview

Interview Questions
    • First interview involved a written case question. It was somewhat different than a normal case interview. They gave me 5 minutes to brainstorm and then we just had an extended conversation about the case.

Second round was a lot more indepth. There were 3 interviews - 2 cases and a presentation.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

After submitting my application, I had to do a timed numerical test online. There were a lot of questions and I did not complete them all, but managed to snag an interview. First Round interview consisted of two cases. The first case was on what kind of business I would like to open in my college town, and how I would go about it. The second one was trickier, and consisted of market sizing in the context of a health insurance-based case.

Interview Questions
    • How many people in (given) county in Florida do not have health insurance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I submitted my resume to the Oliver Wyman website and received an email shorty after saying that to proceed with the interview process, I had to take an online "numerical reasoning test." The test was 20 minutes long with 30 questions that were similar to the SAT math section (the harder questions, of course). After that, I was passed on to the next round, which was a phone interview. I completed a total of 4 phone interviews over the course of a few weeks. Each interview was the same: 5 minutes of chatting and then a 25 minute case interview. After it was over, I would receive a call that night telling me I had made it to the next round.

For the final interview, it was an in office interview day/weekend. The night before the in office interviews, there was a meet and greet dinner followed by drinks. The next day, the in office interviews consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 resume interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was an upstream oil and gas case given by a partner. I was not at all familiar with the oil and gas industry and had a hard time understanding the hand drawn chart that I was given. The partner asked about potential profitable upstream ventures as well as a possible buy out of a smaller oil and gas upstream production company.   Answer Question

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!