Oliver Wyman Entry Level Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2015

3.8

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First round was one resume-based interview and one case-based interview. Their cases tend to have less data and be more about "what things would you need to look at for this problem?"

Final round was a one-on-one case with a partner, a resume based interview, and one written, presentation case. For the presentation case, we were given 30 minutes to prepare a strategy for a case that was one written page, front and back. Presentation was ~20 mins of presenting to two consultants, and ~10 of them asking questions to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't get along with very well.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oliver Wyman

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, first round was on campus, one 30 min fit and one 30 min case interview. Fit asked lots of challenging questions like "tell me about a time when you found it difficult to work with your team" and "what is one downfall that your teammates would say you have." Case was more of a discussion with a partner.
    Second round was a super day In the NYC office, one fit, one non evaluative Q&A session, 1-1 case and presentation case. The presentation case was just a normal case, they gave you 30 mins to prep on your own, and then you presented your approach for solving the problem to 2 partners on a whiteboard for 15-20 mins while they ask you questions. The entire super day took 3 hours. While it was difficult and slightly nerve wracking, I had quite a positive experience.
    Overall the interviewers were very friendly, and everyone I've talked to at the firm are very nice. A lot of them gave me an hour of their time prior to interviews to answer my questions, despite how much work they had. Additionally, the entire process only took a week! Very well organized, speedy response. I had my first round on a Tuesday, heard back that night about results, and had the final round the following Friday and heard back over the weekend.

Negotiation

No need to megoiate, they gave a competitive offer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Was chosen for a first-round interview which took place on campus. The interview Was an hour long. First half hour was the case interview with a consultant. It was an interesting profitability framework case. The second half hour was a behavioral interview with a different consultant.
    The interview process was great. Everyone was nice and friendly. They got back to me the same day offering constructive criticism and ways I could improve for future interviews.
    The entire process seems to be very fast and efficient. Apparently, the entire process from first round interview to an offer takes a week.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are an Oliver Wyman consultant and you have been invited to a dinner party with some clients. How would you answer if you were asked by ones of these clients: "What makes you unique?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Dallas, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting at my university.
    Before the first round interview the company held a presentation session a few hours long with the selected candidates to explain what to expect from case interviews. Then the night before the first round they invited us to a networking event to meet the consultants.
    First round consisted of 2 case interviews.
    The second round was in Dallas and the company took care of arranging travel and accomodation. The night before the second round we had a dinner to network with the consultants from Dallas.
    The second round consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview, each about 45 mins long.
    From my interactions with the company I believe that the corporate culture is very welcoming and that the people working in Oliver Wyman are friendly and supportive. I really liked the atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Which kind of business would you open? Why?
      What would be the capital expenses involved?

Answer Question
    • Would you quit your job to open an ice cream stand?
      Why?

Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)).

Interview

-one online test
    -first round interview: one CV interview, one case interview
    -Final round interview: one panel case study. 3 CV interviews, one case study.

It was a very friendly environment. The people are all very smart but also quite helpful and make you feel at home. They want you to do well. Having said that, it is a challenging firm given their expertise so prepare well.

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2015.

Interview

The first round consists of one cv-based interview and one case interview. The case was about estimation of the purchasing power of Chinese people.
    The second round has three cases and one cv-based interview. The cases are a bit non-traditional and few frameworks can fit. You really need to understand the business to solve them. The interviewers are very friendly and would guide you through the cases. But you need to be proactively structure your upfront before going into any branch of the case.
    I got the rejection two days after the interview. The concern they had was I needed too much guidance during the interview. But I really learned a lot out of it.

Interview Questions

• How many car dealers a car manufacturer needs in a particular developing country.   1 Answer

Consultant (Entry Level) Interview

Interview

Standard online application with CV and cover letter. Was invited to take 2 online reasoning tests, numerical and reasoning. You were given 2 days to complete it. Was difficult, only given 20 min.

Interview Questions

• Numerical was extremely difficult, 20min to do 30questions. Did not pass in the end. But they did say they will review both CV/CL together with the test results so it might not solely be due to my test results.   Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the HK office. Got a quick phone interview, but i think it is just a background check thing. Then got invited to take an interview at there sydney office, (I am studying at Sydney). That interview has two one-on-one sessions. The first one is a case based interview, and the second one is a resume based interview. Both interviewers are really nice.

Interview Questions

• The no of ATMs in Australia.   1 Answer

Consultant Entry Level Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

I applied online and received invite for online test (Lots of practices for this test). Then went thru first round of interviews (2 Case study interview and 1 CV interview). Market size case study and broker compensation model for the second case study. Classic CV interview

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2013.

Interview

Written MCQ test, verbal and numerical, which are straightforward as a calculator is allowed. If you pass the written test then you get invited to a first round interview, involving a CV and competencies interview for 30 mins and then 2 30 minute cases. If successful there is a follow up interview with senior partners.

Interview Questions

• My friend wants to run a winner takes all tennis tournament in his village over the next two weeks, with a £6,000 cash prize to the winner. How should he structure it?   Answer Question