Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and was intrigued even though I was not actively looking. Had a brief screening and scheduled a back to back interview for the following day. A case followed by a behavioral fit interview. Recruiter was not professional and case interviewer seemed annoyed when he was introducing himself. As a potential client, I'm not impressed.

Interview Questions

• Case: your friend invented an additive to gasoline that increases the mpg by 10% and costs $.30. Advise him how to bring it to market.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

tough back to back 45 minutes phone interviews with the first one being a case and the second one being a behavioral interview. have to practice cases before hand otherwise will be difficult to pass to the next round.

Global Mobility Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

First met with whom my immediate report would be then went back for a second round to meet the rest of the team. Great atmosphere, everyone seems eager to work with a positive attitude, the company seems to care about their people.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be most challenging about the position?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews - one case interview and one fit interview. Fit interview was behavioral and focused on typical teamwork questions - ie biggest accomplishments in a team, problem solving as a team, challenge facing a team. Also one market sizing type question. Case interview was much harder and rather than being a typical operational question, was focused on taxes and government regulations.

Interview Questions

• The case interview covered how the government might recoup lost tax dollars from tax evasion.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Very broad case interview questions. Everyone was kind, sharp and fairly laid back. HR was always quick to let you know if you made it to the next round (same-day).

Executive Assistant/Workflow Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

First round was via a video app which is weird becasue you are recording your answers to pre-recorded questions, second round was a round table amongst admins, third round was individual meetings with 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would manage someone who is not being cooperative?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Applied online 2. Quick call with HR, which was a 30m behavioral interview 3. First round interview: 30m case which focused on Market Estimation and 30m Behavioral Interview 4. Final round interview: 45m Panel Case Interview (with 45m preparation time), 45m Case Interview, 45m Behavioral Interview 30m Market Estimation Interview was a quant heavy estimation interview 45m Panel Case Interview was with two OW consultants and I had to present them my approach on a Flipboard 45m Case Interview was a straightforward case with a Partner

Interview Questions

• Determine an approach to determine Amazon Prime's profitability? How would you approach for improving it's profitability?   Answer Question
    • You own 300 ATMs in Manhattan, determine their profitability. How do you maximize their profitability?   Answer Question
    • Estimate market for baggage carts in US airports   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed; Tell me about a time when you led a group to achieve a common objective   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent business event that intrigued you and what do you think about it   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The most organized interview process in my career - 1 month from the first screen till offer - Round 0: phone screen by OW's Recruiter (I came in via a headhunter) - Round 1 (week later): 2 interviews - with Partner and Principal - Round 2: (week later): 5 interviews - with 3 Partners, 1 Principal, and Talent Manager - Offer (week later): phone call from Senior Partner and Talent Manager OW's Recruiter was also very helpful in preparation for interviews - answered my questions on "best practices" and sent link to OW's prep website which was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Why OW? What is your management style? How do you work in teams? 3 cases - two were straightforward, 1 was difficult with lots of charts   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I applied through on campus recruiting and received a first round invitation within a week. First round interviews involved two back-to-back 30 minute sessions - one with a case led by a consultant and another behavioral interview with a partner. Second/final round included another behavioral component with 2 partners and a presentation instead of a case (had to look at case materials for 30 minutes and gave presentation to partners).

Interview Questions

• Healthcare case: Why do you think hospitals in Silicon Valley use a pay by service model?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and found out a few weeks later that I was selected for an interview. First Round: Two 30-minute phone interviews, both conducted by alumni of my school. One behavioral interview, and one case interview. They really weren't that difficult, but by this point I had done 8+ interviews with consulting firms and was really in my groove. Case was interviewee-led. Final Round: One 60-minute in-person presentation/interview. First, you are given a prompt and a few slides and have 30 minutes to prepare a presentation, then 2-3 consultants/partners from Oliver Wyman come in and listen to your presentation (in the instructions, it says your presentation should be 10-15 minutes, but I don't even think mine lasted 10, and I still got the offer). You are also given a whiteboard and encouraged to use it for your presentation. I would really recommend doing this, and having most of your stuff already written out before your interviewers come in, but leave some things (like maybe key numbers) blank to fill in as you are giving your presentation. Use color to organize things! As always with presentations, make sure you have a story that logically connects everything you did/thought about/wrote on the whiteboard. I would recommend that you remain standing for the presentation, and also for the questions they ask you after you're done with your initial presentation. I only sat down once it was my turn to ask questions about Oliver Wyman. In general, the cases weren't that hard and were not super data driven. They want you to make reasonable assumptions and just run with what you're given. Definitely have a plan for what you would have liked to do, if given more time, or what other information you would have found valuable too.

Interview Questions

• • Why consulting? • Why Oliver Wyman? • Just general stuff about my personality, and how I behave in teams etc. Do your research and know what they're looking for so that you can say the right things!   Answer Question