Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.7

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

First round was one resume-based interview and one case-based interview. Their cases tend to have less data and be more about "what things would you need to look at for this problem?"

Final round was a one-on-one case with a partner, a resume based interview, and one written, presentation case. For the presentation case, we were given 30 minutes to prepare a strategy for a case that was one written page, front and back. Presentation was ~20 mins of presenting to two consultants, and ~10 of them asking questions to you.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't get along with very well.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Submit the resume on campus. Two rounds of interviews. The first round is back to back two 30 mins on campus interview. The second round is a half day event, with cases, resume, and case presentation.

Full Time Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Applied online and got an initial interview (30 minutes). Later I learned that the person who interviewed me was a new grad who only started to work for the company in the same field I applied a few months ago. He was friendly enough but he didn't seem very knowledgeable. I could tell that he wasn't very impressed by me during the interview and maybe decided to reject me that time ;) The process was very fast. Got rejection through email only a couple of days after the interview.

Full-time Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Started with an Info-session on campus, usual schmooze. They love themselves and their product and were really working the sell for some reason in the presentation. A mix of normal guys and overbearing intellects, all sharp though. First round was a market-sizing and fit interview, second round was a math oriented case, another fit, and a presentation case. I would recommend doing one of those before the second round, they take a little getting used to. Nice people, nice process all around, wish I had got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was terribly difficult to answer, although in my presentation I don't think I laid out my strategy as clearly as I could have.   Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

2 rounds of interviews, first round was on campus, one 30 min fit and one 30 min case interview. Fit asked lots of challenging questions like "tell me about a time when you found it difficult to work with your team" and "what is one downfall that your teammates would say you have." Case was more of a discussion with a partner.
    Second round was a super day In the NYC office, one fit, one non evaluative Q&A session, 1-1 case and presentation case. The presentation case was just a normal case, they gave you 30 mins to prep on your own, and then you presented your approach for solving the problem to 2 partners on a whiteboard for 15-20 mins while they ask you questions. The entire super day took 3 hours. While it was difficult and slightly nerve wracking, I had quite a positive experience.
    Overall the interviewers were very friendly, and everyone I've talked to at the firm are very nice. A lot of them gave me an hour of their time prior to interviews to answer my questions, despite how much work they had. Additionally, the entire process only took a week! Very well organized, speedy response. I had my first round on a Tuesday, heard back that night about results, and had the final round the following Friday and heard back over the weekend.

No need to megoiate, they gave a competitive offer

Full Time Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I was invited to an early round interview that happened before school started/campus recruiting. I was caught by surprise since the interview was requested for within two days I received the email and the final round would happen the next week. The interview happened over the phone. I didn't pass the first round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something that is not on your resume? Tell me about a company you admire.
      Oncology client case
        Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Great process. Very very efficient!
    Applied online as well as flagged my resume through a current employee. Got a call after 4 days by the HR.
    First phone screen by HR about resume.
    Then, 2 phone interviews back to back. One fit and one case + industry knowledge
    Final round had one fit, one panel discussion and one 1:1 case interview.

Great process. I really liked the people I met. Although i was looking for a specific industry they tested by consulting skills across they board along with asking industry specific questions to gauge my knowledge

Interview Questions
    • - Panel discussion on long term strategy for Amazon prime.
       - 1:1 case on banks and risk involved with various finance products like mortgages, credit cards auto-loans etc. small quant problem at the end of the case.
       - phone interview included a small case to gauge estimated impact of oncology products patent loss expected in next 5 years
        Answer Question

I got another offer from one of the top 4 firm which I decided to take.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in August 2014.

I got an interview from going to a summer reception with Oliver Wyman. A week after the reception, I got an email saying that I had been invited to interview. I then signed up to interview and two people reached out to conduct a 30 minute case and 30 minute fit interview. The most frustrating part about the experience was that it was all conducted by phone in the first round, which is harder than it seems when walking the interviewer through the case. Though the interviewers were very friendly, I felt as though it would have been better having been in person.

My case was about a Medicare plan and whether or not a hospital should institute this cost-savings plan, and if it should implement (generally) new patient technology.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question: Tell me about a time you had trouble with group dynamics, and what did you do? Another one: What is one quality you see in others that you wish you had yourself (ie. what is a weakness)?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Behavior questions like describe a situation when you tackle a problems.. How would you introduce yourself in front of a group of people.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I applied online and was emailed for a phone interview. The process took about 1 month, applied in December and got notified by end of January. I did not have business background, so the interviewer specifically told me that he was not going to ask me very tricky questions. However, it turned out that he specialized in stock market, which I knew little about.

Interview Questions
    • How can I improve the profitability of a stock trading company?   Answer Question