Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2014
Updated Aug 23, 2014

3.7

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in June 2010.

Got referred by an employee, it took several weeks and a lot of follow up by the employee before I got a call from HR. The onsite interview was typical of consulting interviews; case study and behavioral

Interview Questions
    • What is the business/profit model for the equity cash business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2012.

One round of on-campus interviews (2 interviews - one case interview and one resume discussion and fit interview), and one on-site superday (2 case interviews + one panel interview + casual discussions with current consultants). One of the case interviews was not a typical business case, but instead a probability question with a unambiguously correct answer.

Interview Questions
    • Panel interview question: a business case is laid out before you, upon which you have 1 hour to prepare a 15 minute presentation of your solution to a panel of interviewers. My question involved optimal pricing of a commodity whose supply is fixed but perishable, i.e. failure to sell beyond a certain determined time results in loss of the commodity.   Answer Question
    No real negotiation was allowed, beyond choosing a start date, as I joined with a larger class of recent college graduates.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2013.

This was the best interview process I have ever experienced. They definitely make you think.
    They ask you all kinds of questions and they give you examples of real events and you have to give them a solution.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Behavior questions like describe a situation when you tackle a problems.. How would you introduce yourself in front of a group of people.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2014.

Initial screen on Wed., 7 back to back interviews on Fri., verbal offer on Monday! Very fast!

Interview Questions
    • Mostly standard questions. Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question
    No need for negotiations. I was pleased with the original offer.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I applied online and was emailed for a phone interview. The process took about 1 month, applied in December and got notified by end of January. I did not have business background, so the interviewer specifically told me that he was not going to ask me very tricky questions. However, it turned out that he specialized in stock market, which I knew little about.

Interview Questions
    • How can I improve the profitability of a stock trading company?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2014.

Pretty rigorous selection process. But at the end of it all, I was quite pleased to meet great people who strongly believe in the firm's culture.

Standard interview process: Online submission of application ->Online assessment test (be careful about the test, can make or break your application in first round itself) -> interviews with Associate, Senior Associate, Partner(s)

Interview Questions
    • Estimation cases can be quite challenging so do not undermine their importance   View Answer
    Did not negotiate

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I come from a non-target school so the interview process happened over the course of 2-3 weeks. I did two phone interviews during the first week -- one case, one behavioral. I received a call back after around 4 days, and flew in for a final round the following week.

Interview Questions
    • I had never done a phone case interview, so it is definitely worth making sure you can communicate clearly over the phone.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2012.

Found offer through campus recruitment site. Applied for an international position and was invited to a telephone interview shortly thereafter. After countless case-phone interviews by consultants that I wouldn't even be working with, I was finally invited to an office for a day of interviews. After passing those, I was invited to an interview day in office that I applied for. Thought it went well but didn't do well in case interview conducted in my non-native language and did not get offer. The interviews themselves were standard cases, but the length of the process I don't believe is cost efficient for them. And time-wise, it's expensive for applicants.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

applied through campus recruiting, pre-interview meeting was a sort of round table q&a. the interview itself was a 30 min fit interview and 30 min case. the case was about a university thinking about offering a different tuition plan

Interview Questions
    • fit interview was more just a conversation, a bit of a non-traditional case that was challenging to structure   Answer Question

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!