Oliver Wyman

3.7

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I applied through on-campus recruiting at a target school. Attended a coffee chat with recruiters and consultants and received a first-round interview. They invited us to a small reception near campus, and the people there were great. The first round included two interviews - one case on entering a new market, and a full 30-minute fit interview. The case was with a partner, and she pushed me pretty hard on questions. The fit wasn't bad at all; just a chance to go through my resume.

Second round was in the Boston office, regardless of which offices you preference. Arrived at 7:45, in the office for three hours. Began with breakfast, then a 30-minute session in which they gave us a case (1 page, front/back) and we had time to prepare our presentation for a later session (which was not immediately after, in my case). Then a one-on-one case (fairly straightforward), a fit, and then the presentation. Ended with an informal Q&A session (non-evaluative). Each session was 30 minutes.

I received my offer that evening. Base rate is the highest I've seen at this level in the industry, and sign-on bonus is the most generous as well. Overall, great experience, very quick and efficient.

Interview Questions
    • We're running a school bus company that school districts can use to run their bus system. How do we expand our reach into school districts that run their own systems?   Answer Question
    No negotiation; it's the most competitive in the industry.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through campus and get a phone interview request about two weeks later. For the phone interview, I spoke with a FSA / MD for about 30 minutes. There were some technology issues at our first arranged time, but we were able to resolve it for the second time. Guess he was a little bit impatient or unhappy, thus I did not get into the second round.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

The first interview comprised a half-hour fit and half-hour case interview with two different consultants. I received straightforward and helpful comments from both of the interviewers and enjoyed the experience. If I were to re-do the interview though, I would have prepared more in advance, as I was caught off guard by a few of the fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you were at a dinner with a client and they asked you to share something about yourself, what would that be?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Core Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2014.

I applied directly to the Oliver Wyman website on October 1 and didn't hear from them until a month later via email. The recruiter scheduled a 30 minute call a week later. Just to see why I was looking to leave my current situation to work for Oliver Wyman. A week after our call, I had two separate phone interviews with an associate and a principal. The associate gave me a fit interview which covered every part of my resume, including reasons why I went into certain majors during college, which was interesting since it's been 3 years since I've graduated. For the second interview, the principal asked me a couple of questions to get a quick background on me and then proceeded to give me a business case interview that lasted about 45 minutes. I heard back from the associate who interviewed me 6 hours later telling me that I had been invited to the final round in New York the same week, Friday. For the final interview, I had 3 interviews back to back: fit, traditional case interview, and case panel interview. Each interview lasted around 30-45 minutes. All of my interviewers were very friendly and came from a wide variety of backgrounds which was fascinating. For example, one of my interviewers had a PhD in chemistry! Overall, I had a really positive and great learning experience from the overall interview process, especially since this was my very first time encountering case interviews in general.

Interview Questions
    • You are given 5 different products with different revenues and annual growth %s. Choose which 3 products you should focus on growing.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Applied via website, took two weeks to get an HR phone screening, and then two more rounds of phone interview with principals (one fit and one case), eventually get invited to final round, meeting 5 people from the team - two partners (fit base), two engagement managers (case interview), and one HR talent manager. The entire process took two months to wrap up.

Interview Questions
    • One case is about how a bank structures its compensation (not traditional consulting type of cases but more like a discussion); another case is about competitive response in the retail industry; the last case is around an airline facing increasing costs (operation focused)   View Answer

Consulting Interview

APAC office has one HR office who manages every recruiting process However, interviews were done by Korean office people since I got interviewed in Seoul. First round lasted about 2 hours and final round lasted about 4 hours. Lot of typical case questions were asked and they helped me to solve the problem together. However, one partner got very pissed off when I thanked him for this opportunity regardless of the outcome. So be careful!

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

First round was one resume-based interview and one case-based interview. Their cases tend to have less data and be more about "what things would you need to look at for this problem?"

Final round was a one-on-one case with a partner, a resume based interview, and one written, presentation case. For the presentation case, we were given 30 minutes to prepare a strategy for a case that was one written page, front and back. Presentation was ~20 mins of presenting to two consultants, and ~10 of them asking questions to you.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone you didn't get along with very well.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Submit the resume on campus. Two rounds of interviews. The first round is back to back two 30 mins on campus interview. The second round is a half day event, with cases, resume, and case presentation.

Full Time Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Applied online and got an initial interview (30 minutes). Later I learned that the person who interviewed me was a new grad who only started to work for the company in the same field I applied a few months ago. He was friendly enough but he didn't seem very knowledgeable. I could tell that he wasn't very impressed by me during the interview and maybe decided to reject me that time ;) The process was very fast. Got rejection through email only a couple of days after the interview.

Entry Level Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

2 rounds of interviews, first round was on campus, one 30 min fit and one 30 min case interview. Fit asked lots of challenging questions like "tell me about a time when you found it difficult to work with your team" and "what is one downfall that your teammates would say you have." Case was more of a discussion with a partner.
    Second round was a super day In the NYC office, one fit, one non evaluative Q&A session, 1-1 case and presentation case. The presentation case was just a normal case, they gave you 30 mins to prep on your own, and then you presented your approach for solving the problem to 2 partners on a whiteboard for 15-20 mins while they ask you questions. The entire super day took 3 hours. While it was difficult and slightly nerve wracking, I had quite a positive experience.
    Overall the interviewers were very friendly, and everyone I've talked to at the firm are very nice. A lot of them gave me an hour of their time prior to interviews to answer my questions, despite how much work they had. Additionally, the entire process only took a week! Very well organized, speedy response. I had my first round on a Tuesday, heard back that night about results, and had the final round the following Friday and heard back over the weekend.

No need to megoiate, they gave a competitive offer