Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.7

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Applied online
    2. Quick call with HR, which was a 30m behavioral interview
    3. First round interview: 30m case which focused on Market Estimation and 30m Behavioral Interview
    4. Final round interview: 45m Panel Case Interview (with 45m preparation time), 45m Case Interview, 45m Behavioral Interview

30m Market Estimation Interview was a quant heavy estimation interview
    45m Panel Case Interview was with two OW consultants and I had to present them my approach on a Flipboard
    45m Case Interview was a straightforward case with a Partner

Interview Questions

• Determine an approach to determine Amazon Prime's profitability? How would you approach for improving it's profitability?   Answer Question
    • You own 300 ATMs in Manhattan, determine their profitability. How do you maximize their profitability?   Answer Question
    • Estimate market for baggage carts in US airports   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed; Tell me about a time when you led a group to achieve a common objective   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent business event that intrigued you and what do you think about it   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The most organized interview process in my career - 1 month from the first screen till offer

- Round 0: phone screen by OW's Recruiter (I came in via a headhunter)
    - Round 1 (week later): 2 interviews - with Partner and Principal
    - Round 2: (week later): 5 interviews - with 3 Partners, 1 Principal, and Talent Manager
    - Offer (week later): phone call from Senior Partner and Talent Manager

OW's Recruiter was also very helpful in preparation for interviews - answered my questions on "best practices" and sent link to OW's prep website which was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Why OW? What is your management style? How do you work in teams? 3 cases - two were straightforward, 1 was difficult with lots of charts   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I applied through on campus recruiting and received a first round invitation within a week. First round interviews involved two back-to-back 30 minute sessions - one with a case led by a consultant and another behavioral interview with a partner. Second/final round included another behavioral component with 2 partners and a presentation instead of a case (had to look at case materials for 30 minutes and gave presentation to partners).

Interview Questions

• Healthcare case: Why do you think hospitals in Silicon Valley use a pay by service model?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and found out a few weeks later that I was selected for an interview.

First Round:
    Two 30-minute phone interviews, both conducted by alumni of my school. One behavioral interview, and one case interview. They really weren't that difficult, but by this point I had done 8+ interviews with consulting firms and was really in my groove. Case was interviewee-led.

Final Round:
    One 60-minute in-person presentation/interview. First, you are given a prompt and a few slides and have 30 minutes to prepare a presentation, then 2-3 consultants/partners from Oliver Wyman come in and listen to your presentation (in the instructions, it says your presentation should be 10-15 minutes, but I don't even think mine lasted 10, and I still got the offer). You are also given a whiteboard and encouraged to use it for your presentation. I would really recommend doing this, and having most of your stuff already written out before your interviewers come in, but leave some things (like maybe key numbers) blank to fill in as you are giving your presentation. Use color to organize things! As always with presentations, make sure you have a story that logically connects everything you did/thought about/wrote on the whiteboard. I would recommend that you remain standing for the presentation, and also for the questions they ask you after you're done with your initial presentation. I only sat down once it was my turn to ask questions about Oliver Wyman.

In general, the cases weren't that hard and were not super data driven. They want you to make reasonable assumptions and just run with what you're given. Definitely have a plan for what you would have liked to do, if given more time, or what other information you would have found valuable too.

Interview Questions

• • Why consulting?
      • Why Oliver Wyman?
      • Just general stuff about my personality, and how I behave in teams etc. Do your research and know what they're looking for so that you can say the right things!

Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Troy, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

First, it's a phone screen interview, which is pretty general and basic background check. It took about 20 mins. After the phone interview, I got the interview invitation and a data set which they asked me to analyze them and prepare a presentation (about 5 mins). The second interview took about 2 hours, including meeting with the team, the presentation, a quantitative test, and an email response test. After the second interview, there is a third interview, which is to meet the president of that business unit. It took about 45 mins, no more test but just taking (pretty much to see your interest in this industry and company).

Interview Questions

• What experiences you have can help you succeed in this position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

Online test, easy questions, lack of time. You can skip the questions, time is around 20 min, 20 questions in total.
     I shuffle a deck of cards and randomly pick one card and keep it aside. It is an Ace of Hearts. What is the probability that the next card I pick up is a heart or an ace?
     An athlete has 75% of winning the race if he is not injured. If he is injured, his probability of winning the race is only 15%. If he total chances of winning is 51%, what is the probability that he gets injured?

Interview Questions

• You have a jar filled with red, yellow and blue balls. What is the minimum number of balls you must pick out to guarantee 3 balls of the same color?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Interview

Applied through university. Interviewed on campus. The entire interview took 90 minutes. The behavioral part is easy. Then it was followed by a case interview about market entry. Not very hard. The interviewer was nice and easygoing. No size up or brain teaser questions.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting at a target school. Attended a coffee chat with recruiters and consultants and received a first-round interview. They invited us to a small reception near campus, and the people there were great. The first round included two interviews - one case on entering a new market, and a full 30-minute fit interview. The case was with a partner, and she pushed me pretty hard on questions. The fit wasn't bad at all; just a chance to go through my resume.

Second round was in the Boston office, regardless of which offices you preference. Arrived at 7:45, in the office for three hours. Began with breakfast, then a 30-minute session in which they gave us a case (1 page, front/back) and we had time to prepare our presentation for a later session (which was not immediately after, in my case). Then a one-on-one case (fairly straightforward), a fit, and then the presentation. Ended with an informal Q&A session (non-evaluative). Each session was 30 minutes.

I received my offer that evening. Base rate is the highest I've seen at this level in the industry, and sign-on bonus is the most generous as well. Overall, great experience, very quick and efficient.

Interview Questions

• We're running a school bus company that school districts can use to run their bus system. How do we expand our reach into school districts that run their own systems?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; it's the most competitive in the industry.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied through campus and get a phone interview request about two weeks later. For the phone interview, I spoke with a FSA / MD for about 30 minutes. There were some technology issues at our first arranged time, but we were able to resolve it for the second time. Guess he was a little bit impatient or unhappy, thus I did not get into the second round.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

The first interview comprised a half-hour fit and half-hour case interview with two different consultants. I received straightforward and helpful comments from both of the interviewers and enjoyed the experience. If I were to re-do the interview though, I would have prepared more in advance, as I was caught off guard by a few of the fit questions.

Interview Questions

• If you were at a dinner with a client and they asked you to share something about yourself, what would that be?   Answer Question