Oliver Wyman

Updated Aug 8, 2014

Average Difficulty
205 candidate interviews

Munich (Germany)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2011.

Interview Details – Very organized and professional. I had six interviews in total, 2 on the phone and 4 on 1:1 with partners.
We had a lot of opportunities to mingle and get to know the persons at the office: they invited us for dinner and lunch. The persons we met were very nice, open and with very different backgrounds and center of interes.
My advice for the interview: prepare cases!

Interview Questions

• You are the CEO of Roland Berger. Deloitte is making an offer to buy your business, what do you advise your partners to do?   Answer Question
  • What impact has the extension of the depreciation period (from 5 to 10 years) on your net income and entreprise value?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, rejected within a week. Emailed me a few weeks later saying they were reassessing their hiring needs and wanted to set up an interview. Like others I've talked to, OW takes a while for the interview process during off cycle hiring due to scheduling consultants for interviews.

Again like others, there was an online math skills test, 30 questions, 20 min, of algebra and stat questions. I only answered 6 that I knew were correct (1 point for right answer, -1 for wrong, can skip as many as you want) and still got it.

1st phone interview, 1 30min case study, no fit/resume questions with a Senior Associate. It was as I expected, initially I thought it was difficult but it was my very first case interview. They offer feedback whether you pass or not which is great. I heard back within a day.

2nd phone interview, 1 30 min case study, no fit/resume questions with a Senior Consultant. This one was definitely harder, more of a discussion. I didn't get to the conclusion but she passed me because I had "great ideas" and she felt I had good business acumen. Heard back within a few hours, again feedback was given.

Final round in late June, fly you up all expenses paid. Took a while to schedule due to consultants availabilities and they only do them on Fridays. 4 45 min interviews, 3 case and 1 fit in random order with Director, Associate, Sr Consultant and Consultant (fit). Cases were more difficult and the Director applied stress which is what tripped me up. Found out within a few hours that I got no offer.

Aside from having to wait so long, I thought it was a great interview experience and everyone I spoke to seemed extremely smart and talented. OW is also considered one of the top 20 hardest firms to interview for

Interview Questions

• hardest question: Golf mfg. company wants to grow faster than industry growing, what are some growth strategies. Rank ideas in order of profitability. Estimate Chinese market   View Answer
  • Magazine wants to port print magazine to iPad version, wants to know see what you have to say (assuming only hired for 1 week)   View Answer

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

GRADUATE POSITION
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied quite early and got an invitation to take the tests that were really tough. Overall the experience was quite pleasant, I just wish I had more time to prepare

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was having my master studies at Bocconi University. I applied to a summer intern consultant position at Oliver Wyman Financial services. Since I am a Turkish citizen, I interacted mostly with the HR manager at Oliver Wyman Turkey office. First round consisted of 3 1-to-1 case interviews with 2 partners and 1 manager at OW- Milan office. After a week or so, I have been contacted with the same HR person from Istanbul office and she told me that I'll have a phone interview with the partner and head of OW Istanbul office. The phone interview consisted of CV and case interview. It lasted for about 45 minutes. After 15 minutes or so, the HR manger called me again and told me that the next and final round will be in OW London office. So after 2 weeks or so I went to London (travel expenses & accommodation paid by OW). I had 4 1-to-1 interviews: 1 with a consultant, 1 with a director, 1 with a senior partner and 1 with the CEO of Oliver Wyman Financial Services. Having the CEO interview was by chance I guess, not everyone has it.

Overall the interviews were difficult but the consultants were friendly. And since the difficult was in math parts of the questions (which is my strong suit) I was lucky. In the end I got a very generous offer (2 days after the final round) for an intern and I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• A print newspaper company with declining revenues. What should they do?   Answer Question
  • An insurance company who wants to enter a foreign market. (How) Should they do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate since it was an internship position.

Summer Consultant Interview

Summer Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2011.

Interview Details – Oliver Wyman had 2 interview rounds. The first round involved one case interview and one behavioral interview. My case interview with OW was the first case interview of my life, and I think that worked in my favor. People tend to over-prepare for cases and that's not good because if you over-prepare, you tend to think only in terms of the frameworks and cases that you've read about and do not apply any creativity or original thinking. The behavioral interview was a standard resume-based interview. For this one, make sure you know your resume really well and that you're not lying about anything on your resume. The second round was on campus. It involved 4 case interviews (back-to-back) and one behavioral interview. Pretty much the same advice applies here but I learned something very important about my resume here. On your resume, make sure that you have at least one thing that you are extremely passionate about (or that makes you really stand out). During one of my case interviews, the partner who was interviewing me saw a research project on my resume and he was so intrigued by it that we ended up talking about the project for a good 10-15 minutes (even though we only had 30 minutes in total for the case). It was during the second round interviews that I fell in love with OW. I loved each one of my interviewers and we also got the chance to speak with a lot of fresh recruits. They were all very nice and polite. Oliver Wyman is prestigious, yet it's not as big as McKinsey or BCG. And I like the sort of small company feel to it.

Interview Question – I always find behavioral interviews harder. One question I was asked was, "What are 3 qualities that you think you possess will make you fail as a consultant"?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2012.

Interview Details – verbal and numercy test

Interview Question – similar to verbal and numercy on SHL   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to the Oliver Wyman website and received an email shorty after saying that to proceed with the interview process, I had to take an online "numerical reasoning test." The test was 20 minutes long with 30 questions that were similar to the SAT math section (the harder questions, of course). After that, I was passed on to the next round, which was a phone interview. I completed a total of 4 phone interviews over the course of a few weeks. Each interview was the same: 5 minutes of chatting and then a 25 minute case interview. After it was over, I would receive a call that night telling me I had made it to the next round.

For the final interview, it was an in office interview day/weekend. The night before the in office interviews, there was a meet and greet dinner followed by drinks. The next day, the in office interviews consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 resume interview.

Interview Question – It was an upstream oil and gas case given by a partner. I was not at all familiar with the oil and gas industry and had a hard time understanding the hand drawn chart that I was given. The partner asked about potential profitable upstream ventures as well as a possible buy out of a smaller oil and gas upstream production company.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was invited to complete online test a few days later. You are given only 7 days to complete two aptitude tests online. The Maths test is very difficult and a great deal of practice before applying is advised. Also found people had posted questions online. (to late for me) if I had seen these before doing the tests I could have had 5 or 6 instant answers. Both tests are designed so you do not complete all questions.

Interview Question – The Maths is very difficult. Geometry was a real surprise for a management consultancy position, with quite a few geometry based questions.   Answer Question

Summer Consultant Interview

Summer Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of 2 30 minute back to back case questions. One was extremely open ended and the interviewer guided you through it. The second was purely number crunching. Oliver Wyman really looks for people who can breeze through case questions and really doesn't care much about fit.

Interview Question – What are some ways you can sell a CD?   Answer Question

General Management Consultant Interview

General Management Consultant
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Interview Details – Ridiculously hard questions over the phone. Had to solve a whole case over the phone, with me noting down all the information the interviewer was giving me. The interviewer was not a native English speaker, so it was hard for me to understand the exact figures he was giving me. e.g. it was impossible to distinguish between sixty and sixteen.

Interview Question – how many potatoes (in kg) does McDonalds sell in a year in the UK?   Answer Question

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!