Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.7

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2012.

verbal and numercy test

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2013.

This process started at my university's career fair. I met recruiters and handed them my resume, and then proceeded to apply online. A week later, I was offered to take the quantitative analysis test online. This is a test conducted online and you are given a restricted time to answer math/logic based questions.

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2011.

I applied quite early and got an invitation to take the tests that were really tough. Overall the experience was quite pleasant, I just wish I had more time to prepare

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

Interview consisted of 2 30 minute back to back case questions. One was extremely open ended and the interviewer guided you through it. The second was purely number crunching. Oliver Wyman really looks for people who can breeze through case questions and really doesn't care much about fit.

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2011.

Oliver Wyman had 2 interview rounds. The first round involved one case interview and one behavioral interview. My case interview with OW was the first case interview of my life, and I think that worked in my favor. People tend to over-prepare for cases and that's not good because if you over-prepare, you tend to think only in terms of the frameworks and cases that you've read about and do not apply any creativity or original thinking. The behavioral interview was a standard resume-based interview. For this one, make sure you know your resume really well and that you're not lying about anything on your resume. The second round was on campus. It involved 4 case interviews (back-to-back) and one behavioral interview. Pretty much the same advice applies here but I learned something very important about my resume here. On your resume, make sure that you have at least one thing that you are extremely passionate about (or that makes you really stand out). During one of my case interviews, the partner who was interviewing me saw a research project on my resume and he was so intrigued by it that we ended up talking about the project for a good 10-15 minutes (even though we only had 30 minutes in total for the case). It was during the second round interviews that I fell in love with OW. I loved each one of my interviewers and we also got the chance to speak with a lot of fresh recruits. They were all very nice and polite. Oliver Wyman is prestigious, yet it's not as big as McKinsey or BCG. And I like the sort of small company feel to it.

Interview Questions
    • I always find behavioral interviews harder. One question I was asked was, "What are 3 qualities that you think you possess will make you fail as a consultant"?   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

The written test is composed of two parts: numerical and verbal. Numerical test is very basic business calculation. Verbal test is a lot harder, more like GMAT critical reasoning. I did not finish both, finished around 23 questions on numerical and 17 questions on verbal. The difficult thing is the firm uses negative marking. You would be better off focusing on correctness other than speed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in June 2011.

Applied online, rejected within a week. Emailed me a few weeks later saying they were reassessing their hiring needs and wanted to set up an interview. Like others I've talked to, OW takes a while for the interview process during off cycle hiring due to scheduling consultants for interviews.

Again like others, there was an online math skills test, 30 questions, 20 min, of algebra and stat questions. I only answered 6 that I knew were correct (1 point for right answer, -1 for wrong, can skip as many as you want) and still got it.

1st phone interview, 1 30min case study, no fit/resume questions with a Senior Associate. It was as I expected, initially I thought it was difficult but it was my very first case interview. They offer feedback whether you pass or not which is great. I heard back within a day.

2nd phone interview, 1 30 min case study, no fit/resume questions with a Senior Consultant. This one was definitely harder, more of a discussion. I didn't get to the conclusion but she passed me because I had "great ideas" and she felt I had good business acumen. Heard back within a few hours, again feedback was given.

Final round in late June, fly you up all expenses paid. Took a while to schedule due to consultants availabilities and they only do them on Fridays. 4 45 min interviews, 3 case and 1 fit in random order with Director, Associate, Sr Consultant and Consultant (fit). Cases were more difficult and the Director applied stress which is what tripped me up. Found out within a few hours that I got no offer.

Aside from having to wait so long, I thought it was a great interview experience and everyone I spoke to seemed extremely smart and talented. OW is also considered one of the top 20 hardest firms to interview for

Interview Questions
    • hardest question: Golf mfg. company wants to grow faster than industry growing, what are some growth strategies. Rank ideas in order of profitability. Estimate Chinese market   View Answer
    • Magazine wants to port print magazine to iPad version, wants to know see what you have to say (assuming only hired for 1 week)   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Munich (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich (Germany)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2011.

Very organized and professional. I had six interviews in total, 2 on the phone and 4 on 1:1 with partners.
    We had a lot of opportunities to mingle and get to know the persons at the office: they invited us for dinner and lunch. The persons we met were very nice, open and with very different backgrounds and center of interes.
    My advice for the interview: prepare cases!

Interview Questions
    • You are the CEO of Roland Berger. Deloitte is making an offer to buy your business, what do you advise your partners to do?   Answer Question
    • What impact has the extension of the depreciation period (from 5 to 10 years) on your net income and entreprise value?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2012.

Applied online. Was invited to complete online test a few days later. You are given only 7 days to complete two aptitude tests online. The Maths test is very difficult and a great deal of practice before applying is advised. Also found people had posted questions online. (to late for me) if I had seen these before doing the tests I could have had 5 or 6 instant answers. Both tests are designed so you do not complete all questions.

Interview Questions
    • The Maths is very difficult. Geometry was a real surprise for a management consultancy position, with quite a few geometry based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I submitted my resume to the Oliver Wyman website and received an email shorty after saying that to proceed with the interview process, I had to take an online "numerical reasoning test." The test was 20 minutes long with 30 questions that were similar to the SAT math section (the harder questions, of course). After that, I was passed on to the next round, which was a phone interview. I completed a total of 4 phone interviews over the course of a few weeks. Each interview was the same: 5 minutes of chatting and then a 25 minute case interview. After it was over, I would receive a call that night telling me I had made it to the next round.

For the final interview, it was an in office interview day/weekend. The night before the in office interviews, there was a meet and greet dinner followed by drinks. The next day, the in office interviews consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 resume interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was an upstream oil and gas case given by a partner. I was not at all familiar with the oil and gas industry and had a hard time understanding the hand drawn chart that I was given. The partner asked about potential profitable upstream ventures as well as a possible buy out of a smaller oil and gas upstream production company.   Answer Question

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!