Oliver Wyman

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

3.7

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in December 2014.

First round interviews (2 interviews - 1 fit and 1 case) and final round interviews (3 fit,1 case, 1 presentation). The cases themselves were relatively straightforward, with a strong focus on maths (probability + standard maths). I felt that there was a strong emphasis on fit particularly in the final round given that it was difficult to differentiate the best candidates from simple cases. I also had an interviewer who was socially awkward (not sure how she made it to Oliver Wyman).

Interview Questions
    • What was the most shocking feedback that you received and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2015.

The first round consists of one cv-based interview and one case interview. The case was about estimation of the purchasing power of Chinese people.
    The second round has three cases and one cv-based interview. The cases are a bit non-traditional and few frameworks can fit. You really need to understand the business to solve them. The interviewers are very friendly and would guide you through the cases. But you need to be proactively structure your upfront before going into any branch of the case.
    I got the rejection two days after the interview. The concern they had was I needed too much guidance during the interview. But I really learned a lot out of it.

Interview Questions
    • How many car dealers a car manufacturer needs in a particular developing country.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Submit your cv online.
    Do the numerical test online. Easy test
    If passed 2 interviews in your country.
    If passed fly to the office to do 4 interviews 2 of which with partners

Management Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Long application with the most difficult numerical test. After 5 days they sent me an email telling me that I passed the online test and invited me for the interview. You will have 2 interviews a cv interview and a case study interview.

The cv interview is simple you have to know your cv in focus on why do you want to become a consultant. The case interview was tough required some fast calculations that I was nervous and could not do correctly.

You will have a feed back within 2 days

Interview Questions
    • What is the revenue of the poetry industry in the UK this year ?
      What is the revenue of the poetry industry in the UK 100 years ago ?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2015.

I applied through online and I just had my interview today, it was a bit hard. There were 2 case questions followed by a numerical test evaluation (30 question 20 mins). I am waiting for their response

Analyst Interview

Online test, easy questions, lack of time. You can skip the questions, time is around 20 min, 20 questions in total.
     I shuffle a deck of cards and randomly pick one card and keep it aside. It is an Ace of Hearts. What is the probability that the next card I pick up is a heart or an ace?
     An athlete has 75% of winning the race if he is not injured. If he is injured, his probability of winning the race is only 15%. If he total chances of winning is 51%, what is the probability that he gets injured?

Interview Questions
    • You have a jar filled with red, yellow and blue balls. What is the minimum number of balls you must pick out to guarantee 3 balls of the same color?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Applied through university. Interviewed on campus. The entire interview took 90 minutes. The behavioral part is easy. Then it was followed by a case interview about market entry. Not very hard. The interviewer was nice and easygoing. No size up or brain teaser questions.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

1) CV and cover letter screening.
    2) Online numerical & verbal reasoning tests (probably the hardest test I've done, don't expect to be anywhere near finishing, this is negatively marked).
    3) 1st round interview: one 30 min competency based interview with a junior member of OW, followed by a 30 min case study with a principal/partner. Brain teasers are not uncommon at this stage.
    4) final round: 3x 30min competency based interviews with partners. One 30min case study with a partner. One 1h case presentation (15min preparation time followed by 45min presenting/questions) in front of a panel of consultants. One of the heaviest stages of interviews I've done.

Interview Questions
    • Competency questions quite unorthodox (not just the standard leadership/teamwork)   Answer Question

Better offer elsewhere, but OW is definitely a very strong firm and the people seem great.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2014.

I applied online and did the numerical test, then it took several weeks to schedule a first phone interview (with a manager) and after that 3 weeks for the second phone interview (with a principal). The process ended there for me but I think there are 3 interviews with consultants in total and one with the HR. I have never seen a process that long and burdensome. Casual consulting interview, fit questions, market sizing and small business case.

Interview Questions
    • It is christmas eve, you are a manager of a toy store and your cash register system is broke. What do you do?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Core Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in November 2014.

I applied directly to the Oliver Wyman website on October 1 and didn't hear from them until a month later via email. The recruiter scheduled a 30 minute call a week later. Just to see why I was looking to leave my current situation to work for Oliver Wyman. A week after our call, I had two separate phone interviews with an associate and a principal. The associate gave me a fit interview which covered every part of my resume, including reasons why I went into certain majors during college, which was interesting since it's been 3 years since I've graduated. For the second interview, the principal asked me a couple of questions to get a quick background on me and then proceeded to give me a business case interview that lasted about 45 minutes. I heard back from the associate who interviewed me 6 hours later telling me that I had been invited to the final round in New York the same week, Friday. For the final interview, I had 3 interviews back to back: fit, traditional case interview, and case panel interview. Each interview lasted around 30-45 minutes. All of my interviewers were very friendly and came from a wide variety of backgrounds which was fascinating. For example, one of my interviewers had a PhD in chemistry! Overall, I had a really positive and great learning experience from the overall interview process, especially since this was my very first time encountering case interviews in general.

Interview Questions
    • You are given 5 different products with different revenues and annual growth %s. Choose which 3 products you should focus on growing.   Answer Question