Oliver Wyman

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in December 2014.

Online test and two rounds of CV/case interviews.

Cases were relatively straightforward but required a degree of creativity. There were several CV interviews and some of them were quite challenging.

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Applied in October after a campus recruiting event, and got invited to a numerical and verbal test. I was invited for one (final) set of interviews exactly on the deadline they set, so it was quite transparent at all times. Everybody was very friendly and down to earth.

The math test was much harder than any I had done before for other firms, bar one prop trading firm. Much like the GMAT problem solving questions, but 650+ level only. It's worth revising your geometry from high school if it's been a while. The verbal test was also much like the GMAT. I didn't finish either of them.

I had 3 case and 1 CV interview back to back, each 30 minutes. 2 cases were very hard considering the short time and quant heavy, with lots of data and information given throughout the case, requiring quick mental math. Another was more conceptual, brain teaser like, testing your understanding of a basic data set and how different plots of it might look. The CV interview was very standard.

Interview Questions
    • A4 paper has the property that when folded in half, it has the same ratio of width to height as before. Can you tell me what that ratio must be?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Straightforward and standard interview process. Involved your standard exam after a review of your resume. The exam is split into reading/comprehension and maths. Both are do-able and might require some prior studying to brush up on things like maximizing score under constrained time. First round interview was one personal interview and one business case. They really do try to help you through the process, so make sure you factor that.

Interview Questions
    • Why does your background prepare you to take up the consultancy business?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2015.

I applied online, and found out a few weeks later that I was selected for an interview.

First Round:
    Two 30-minute phone interviews, both conducted by alumni of my school. One behavioral interview, and one case interview. They really weren't that difficult, but by this point I had done 8+ interviews with consulting firms and was really in my groove. Case was interviewee-led.

Final Round:
    One 60-minute in-person presentation/interview. First, you are given a prompt and a few slides and have 30 minutes to prepare a presentation, then 2-3 consultants/partners from Oliver Wyman come in and listen to your presentation (in the instructions, it says your presentation should be 10-15 minutes, but I don't even think mine lasted 10, and I still got the offer). You are also given a whiteboard and encouraged to use it for your presentation. I would really recommend doing this, and having most of your stuff already written out before your interviewers come in, but leave some things (like maybe key numbers) blank to fill in as you are giving your presentation. Use color to organize things! As always with presentations, make sure you have a story that logically connects everything you did/thought about/wrote on the whiteboard. I would recommend that you remain standing for the presentation, and also for the questions they ask you after you're done with your initial presentation. I only sat down once it was my turn to ask questions about Oliver Wyman.

In general, the cases weren't that hard and were not super data driven. They want you to make reasonable assumptions and just run with what you're given. Definitely have a plan for what you would have liked to do, if given more time, or what other information you would have found valuable too.

Interview Questions
    • • Why consulting?
      • Why Oliver Wyman?
      • Just general stuff about my personality, and how I behave in teams etc. Do your research and know what they're looking for so that you can say the right things!

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

I applied through on campus recruiting and received a first round invitation within a week. First round interviews involved two back-to-back 30 minute sessions - one with a case led by a consultant and another behavioral interview with a partner. Second/final round included another behavioral component with 2 partners and a presentation instead of a case (had to look at case materials for 30 minutes and gave presentation to partners).

Interview Questions
    • Healthcare case: Why do you think hospitals in Silicon Valley use a pay by service model?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

First you apply online and if they call you back, they invite you for the first round interviews. In the first-round you have three interviews and if you're successful, you will be invited to the second round which consists of several case interviews and fit interviews. You're not expected to have knowledge about banking etc. they evaluate you on how you approach a problem and how coachable you are.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you were hired by an ATM company as an advisor. What would you advise them?   Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

-one online test
    -first round interview: one CV interview, one case interview
    -Final round interview: one panel case study. 3 CV interviews, one case study.

It was a very friendly environment. The people are all very smart but also quite helpful and make you feel at home. They want you to do well. Having said that, it is a challenging firm given their expertise so prepare well.

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Process was clearly set out in the email sent to me by the company on the day I submitted the application. They have came back to me exactly by the provided deadline.

Interview Questions
    • The numerical test was very similar to a GMAT test. I prepared for it by reviewing by GMAT books. The time is very limited for this test. The other test was not that difficult for me.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in December 2014.

First round interviews (2 interviews - 1 fit and 1 case) and final round interviews (3 fit,1 case, 1 presentation). The cases themselves were relatively straightforward, with a strong focus on maths (probability + standard maths). I felt that there was a strong emphasis on fit particularly in the final round given that it was difficult to differentiate the best candidates from simple cases. I also had an interviewer who was socially awkward (not sure how she made it to Oliver Wyman).

Interview Questions
    • What was the most shocking feedback that you received and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2015.

The first round consists of one cv-based interview and one case interview. The case was about estimation of the purchasing power of Chinese people.
    The second round has three cases and one cv-based interview. The cases are a bit non-traditional and few frameworks can fit. You really need to understand the business to solve them. The interviewers are very friendly and would guide you through the cases. But you need to be proactively structure your upfront before going into any branch of the case.
    I got the rejection two days after the interview. The concern they had was I needed too much guidance during the interview. But I really learned a lot out of it.

Interview Questions
    • How many car dealers a car manufacturer needs in a particular developing country.   View Answer