Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.7

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The most organized interview process in my career - 1 month from the first screen till offer

- Round 0: phone screen by OW's Recruiter (I came in via a headhunter)
    - Round 1 (week later): 2 interviews - with Partner and Principal
    - Round 2: (week later): 5 interviews - with 3 Partners, 1 Principal, and Talent Manager
    - Offer (week later): phone call from Senior Partner and Talent Manager

OW's Recruiter was also very helpful in preparation for interviews - answered my questions on "best practices" and sent link to OW's prep website which was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Why OW? What is your management style? How do you work in teams? 3 cases - two were straightforward, 1 was difficult with lots of charts   Answer Question

Experienced Hire Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

I did not apply to Oliver Wyman, however a recruiter got in touch with me, stating their interest in my profile and requesting a telephone conversation.

The first hiccup in the process happened straight away, when I replied to the recruiter's email and gave some availability.

The recruiter simply would not respond to my emails and at some point I gave up, just for the recruiter to finally get in touch 3 weeks later and propose a time slot. We agreed to speak on the following day.

On the morning of our call the recruiter sent me an email asking to move our call back and I promptly accepted. I re-arranged my schedule and made sure I was in a quiet place in order to take the call, but... the recruiter never bothered to call me! Nor they ever emailed me to apologise or reschedule.

All in all I fund the recruiter's behaviour extremely disengaged, unprofessional and quite rude.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Troy, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

First, it's a phone screen interview, which is pretty general and basic background check. It took about 20 mins. After the phone interview, I got the interview invitation and a data set which they asked me to analyze them and prepare a presentation (about 5 mins). The second interview took about 2 hours, including meeting with the team, the presentation, a quantitative test, and an email response test. After the second interview, there is a third interview, which is to meet the president of that business unit. It took about 45 mins, no more test but just taking (pretty much to see your interest in this industry and company).

Interview Questions

• What experiences you have can help you succeed in this position?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Applied online
    2. Quick call with HR, which was a 30m behavioral interview
    3. First round interview: 30m case which focused on Market Estimation and 30m Behavioral Interview
    4. Final round interview: 45m Panel Case Interview (with 45m preparation time), 45m Case Interview, 45m Behavioral Interview

30m Market Estimation Interview was a quant heavy estimation interview
    45m Panel Case Interview was with two OW consultants and I had to present them my approach on a Flipboard
    45m Case Interview was a straightforward case with a Partner

Interview Questions

• Determine an approach to determine Amazon Prime's profitability? How would you approach for improving it's profitability?   Answer Question
    • You own 300 ATMs in Manhattan, determine their profitability. How do you maximize their profitability?   Answer Question
    • Estimate market for baggage carts in US airports   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed; Tell me about a time when you led a group to achieve a common objective   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent business event that intrigued you and what do you think about it   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

First there is a very difficult online test. Then, if successful the company invites you to their offices in central London for 2 interviews (one CV based and another one case based). I didn't get selected to the following round which was the final one. The company is very helpful though, they provide every applicant with a buddy to ask any questions about the firm and they also provide feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a situation when you had to deal with a group with diverse backgrounds.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Online test and two rounds of CV/case interviews.

Cases were relatively straightforward but required a degree of creativity. There were several CV interviews and some of them were quite challenging.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Applied in October after a campus recruiting event, and got invited to a numerical and verbal test. I was invited for one (final) set of interviews exactly on the deadline they set, so it was quite transparent at all times. Everybody was very friendly and down to earth.

The math test was much harder than any I had done before for other firms, bar one prop trading firm. Much like the GMAT problem solving questions, but 650+ level only. It's worth revising your geometry from high school if it's been a while. The verbal test was also much like the GMAT. I didn't finish either of them.

I had 3 case and 1 CV interview back to back, each 30 minutes. 2 cases were very hard considering the short time and quant heavy, with lots of data and information given throughout the case, requiring quick mental math. Another was more conceptual, brain teaser like, testing your understanding of a basic data set and how different plots of it might look. The CV interview was very standard.

Interview Questions

• A4 paper has the property that when folded in half, it has the same ratio of width to height as before. Can you tell me what that ratio must be?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview

Straightforward and standard interview process. Involved your standard exam after a review of your resume. The exam is split into reading/comprehension and maths. Both are do-able and might require some prior studying to brush up on things like maximizing score under constrained time. First round interview was one personal interview and one business case. They really do try to help you through the process, so make sure you factor that.

Interview Questions

• Why does your background prepare you to take up the consultancy business?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and found out a few weeks later that I was selected for an interview.

First Round:
    Two 30-minute phone interviews, both conducted by alumni of my school. One behavioral interview, and one case interview. They really weren't that difficult, but by this point I had done 8+ interviews with consulting firms and was really in my groove. Case was interviewee-led.

Final Round:
    One 60-minute in-person presentation/interview. First, you are given a prompt and a few slides and have 30 minutes to prepare a presentation, then 2-3 consultants/partners from Oliver Wyman come in and listen to your presentation (in the instructions, it says your presentation should be 10-15 minutes, but I don't even think mine lasted 10, and I still got the offer). You are also given a whiteboard and encouraged to use it for your presentation. I would really recommend doing this, and having most of your stuff already written out before your interviewers come in, but leave some things (like maybe key numbers) blank to fill in as you are giving your presentation. Use color to organize things! As always with presentations, make sure you have a story that logically connects everything you did/thought about/wrote on the whiteboard. I would recommend that you remain standing for the presentation, and also for the questions they ask you after you're done with your initial presentation. I only sat down once it was my turn to ask questions about Oliver Wyman.

In general, the cases weren't that hard and were not super data driven. They want you to make reasonable assumptions and just run with what you're given. Definitely have a plan for what you would have liked to do, if given more time, or what other information you would have found valuable too.

Interview Questions

• • Why consulting?
      • Why Oliver Wyman?
      • Just general stuff about my personality, and how I behave in teams etc. Do your research and know what they're looking for so that you can say the right things!

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

I applied through on campus recruiting and received a first round invitation within a week. First round interviews involved two back-to-back 30 minute sessions - one with a case led by a consultant and another behavioral interview with a partner. Second/final round included another behavioral component with 2 partners and a presentation instead of a case (had to look at case materials for 30 minutes and gave presentation to partners).

Interview Questions

• Healthcare case: Why do you think hospitals in Silicon Valley use a pay by service model?   Answer Question