Oliver Wyman

Getting the Interview

195 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer GM Internship Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Interview Details – Campus recruiting, two case interviews, no behavioral

Interview Question – merger case   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my campus recruiting website. They came to the university the week before to do a case workshop - it was very helpful, and I recommend going if you get the interview (or if not). The first round was a phone interview, two 25-minute cases, and no fit questions. This may not be the norm however because we had a snow storm that prevented the interviewers from coming to campus. Seems like usually there is 1 fit, 1 case. Cases were pretty straight forward, but got a call at 5 pm that day saying I didn't make it through to the next round - very efficient process

Interview Question – One case question was estimating the sales of flowers on V-day in the US, another was a healthcare profit-loss case about a hospital.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Interview Details – I recruited through my college's recruiting system. I had to take some online math test, you can google it to get a sense of what it might be like, and even though I skipped a lot of questions and wasn't sure about the ones I answered, I still got an interview, so I don't think the test is too important. They paired me up with a buddy who was really friendly who even took time out of his day to give me a practice interview over the phone. On the day of the interview, they probably had about 100 students interview throughout the day, and I had two 30 minute interviews. The first one the guy was not that chill and seemed bored, but the case was pretty easy. The second interview, the lady was really friendly but the case was about healthcare and pretty difficult. They told me later that night at around 7 PM that I had not made it, but gave me good feedback and that I should practice more cases.

Interview Question – The first interview was about a start up company that paired personal trainers with clients over Skype. They asked what standards they could group the different clientele by.

The second interview question was about healthcare (which I know nothing about) and was a lot more difficult.
  Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was quick. Two rounds of interview, one with local office and another with the office of interest. Total 2 interviews for 45 min each during first round of interview and 5 interviews during the second round, three of which involved partners.

Interview Question – estimate the GDP of the world between 1AD and 2010 AD   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Consultant Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of 2 30 minute back to back case questions. One was extremely open ended and the interviewer guided you through it. The second was purely number crunching. Oliver Wyman really looks for people who can breeze through case questions and really doesn't care much about fit.

Interview Question – What are some ways you can sell a CD?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

Interview Details – Applied through my school's career services website and received a first round interview

Interview Question – First interview involved a written case question. It was somewhat different than a normal case interview. They gave me 5 minutes to brainstorm and then we just had an extended conversation about the case.

Second round was a lot more indepth. There were 3 interviews - 2 cases and a presentation.
  Answer Question

Financial Services Consulting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through university's career services website. Had two on-campus interviews, back to back, 45 minutes each. First interview consisted of a long case interview and short behavioral interview. Second interview was more of a behavioral interview, along with a short brainteaser.

Interview Question – Are there two dogs in the world with the same number of hairs?   Answer Question

Management Consulting Associate Interview

Management Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – Initial communication was done through my school's on campus recruitment.

First interview was postponed due to the blizzard in the northeast, so I ended up having my first round as a phone interview two days later. Case was based off of personal experiences (ie we talked about my life, and my interviewer made a case out of one particular business I liked in town). My second case during first round was on the superbowl.

Second (and final) round was in office of your choice - in my case, New York. It was a power interview day, meaning 4 interviews back-to-back with various partners and senior members at the firm. I had three cases and one fit interview. Each case was basic in format, but difficult in qualitative content - they really wanted to test your ability to make appropriate assumptions when you know next to nothing about the business or industry in question (for instance, my first case was on mobile phones in the UK).

All interviewers were very kind, nice people. They all did a bit of "fit" before each case, so even though I only had one fit interview during the day, each interviewer took the time to get to know me a little bit before diving right into the case. All interviewers were also explicit for what they were looking for - in OW's case, it was being very vocal about the assumptions you are going to make and why you are going to make them.

I didnt answer any cases perfectly, and made a couple of math errors here and there - its not a problem and your interviewer will point out your mistake. The key is to catch it and realize it, but also to enjoy the process. They are calling you out because they are trying to act more as your teammate than your interviewer; they are legitimately trying to help you, and as long as you've been vocal about your assumptions from minute one, they can help you and work with you.

Interview Question – Market size the US market for pharmacy-based health clinics   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation necessary - the offer was very generous from the get go, and the recruitment staff has been very kind.

Financial Services Internship Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

Interview Details – Went to semi-target school, applied through website

Interview Question – Market Sizing   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interviewed at Oliver Wyman

Interview Details – Apply by school career website. Received an email in 3 days. Got a phone interview in the same week. The interview was mainly about resume questions. Then I was expected to ask some questions.

Interview Question – No real hard questions   Answer Question