Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2014

3.7

Management Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Applied through on campus recruiting. Generally nice and efficient interview process. Two 30 minute interviews, one completely fit and another half fit half case study. Case was not particularly challenging.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Phone interview. Two sizing cases, 25 minutes each. No fit questions in first round phone interviews; may be different in person.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2012.

I got involved with the recruiting process on campus. I submitted a resume and cover letter, and was offered a first-round interview where I was given two 30-minute cases. The interview had almost no "fit" components and was spent solving the case. Both of my interviewers were extremely friendly and helpful. I then interviewed in the office where I completed three 45-minute cases and one fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to think on your feet during the cases - I received multiple market sizing questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Three round of interviews. 2 x over the phone. 1 x final rounds with multiple partners and senior team members. All cases.

Interview Questions
    • Typical market sizing / profitability case interview questions with varying context (resorts, start-up business).   View Answer
    Limited room for negotiations.

Summer GM Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Campus recruiting, two case interviews, no behavioral

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Applied through my campus recruiting website. They came to the university the week before to do a case workshop - it was very helpful, and I recommend going if you get the interview (or if not). The first round was a phone interview, two 25-minute cases, and no fit questions. This may not be the norm however because we had a snow storm that prevented the interviewers from coming to campus. Seems like usually there is 1 fit, 1 case. Cases were pretty straight forward, but got a call at 5 pm that day saying I didn't make it through to the next round - very efficient process

Interview Questions
    • One case question was estimating the sales of flowers on V-day in the US, another was a healthcare profit-loss case about a hospital.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

I recruited through my college's recruiting system. I had to take some online math test, you can google it to get a sense of what it might be like, and even though I skipped a lot of questions and wasn't sure about the ones I answered, I still got an interview, so I don't think the test is too important. They paired me up with a buddy who was really friendly who even took time out of his day to give me a practice interview over the phone. On the day of the interview, they probably had about 100 students interview throughout the day, and I had two 30 minute interviews. The first one the guy was not that chill and seemed bored, but the case was pretty easy. The second interview, the lady was really friendly but the case was about healthcare and pretty difficult. They told me later that night at around 7 PM that I had not made it, but gave me good feedback and that I should practice more cases.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview was about a start up company that paired personal trainers with clients over Skype. They asked what standards they could group the different clientele by.

The second interview question was about healthcare (which I know nothing about) and was a lot more difficult.
        Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2010.

The hiring process was quick. Two rounds of interview, one with local office and another with the office of interest. Total 2 interviews for 45 min each during first round of interview and 5 interviews during the second round, three of which involved partners.

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2013.

Interview consisted of 2 30 minute back to back case questions. One was extremely open ended and the interviewer guided you through it. The second was purely number crunching. Oliver Wyman really looks for people who can breeze through case questions and really doesn't care much about fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Applied through my school's career services website and received a first round interview

Interview Questions
    • First interview involved a written case question. It was somewhat different than a normal case interview. They gave me 5 minutes to brainstorm and then we just had an extended conversation about the case.

Second round was a lot more indepth. There were 3 interviews - 2 cases and a presentation.
        Answer Question