Oliver Wyman

3.7

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2013.

Applied through campus recruitment, took online numerical reasoning test. 30 questions, 20 minutes, wrong answers hurt you, and you can skip ones you don't answer.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Phone interview. Two sizing cases, 25 minutes each. No fit questions in first round phone interviews; may be different in person.

Team Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in August 2013.

The first round of interviews was pleasant. However, they used pre-formulated questions that were somewhat behavioral, but not difficult.
    The second round of interviews was when they started asking for negative information from you, such as personalities you worked with in the past, or work activities you dislike doing.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time when you lost money for your company, or made a similar terrible mistake. What did you do and how did you fix it?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Three round of interviews. 2 x over the phone. 1 x final rounds with multiple partners and senior team members. All cases.

Interview Questions
    • Typical market sizing / profitability case interview questions with varying context (resorts, start-up business).   View Answer
    Limited room for negotiations.

Team Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in April 2013.

Took about 2-3 weeks. Did a pre-screening interview with a recruiter than got called into an interview. Was interviewed by 3 staff members. Was a very open and comfortable interview. Got called in for 3rd round interviews. Interviewed with 3 more members, including one of the supervisors. Received an offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of behavioral questions in the third round. What would you do if this occurred type of questions.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2013.

This was the best interview process I have ever experienced. They definitely make you think.
    They ask you all kinds of questions and they give you examples of real events and you have to give them a solution.

Management Consulting Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Initial communication was done through my school's on campus recruitment.

First interview was postponed due to the blizzard in the northeast, so I ended up having my first round as a phone interview two days later. Case was based off of personal experiences (ie we talked about my life, and my interviewer made a case out of one particular business I liked in town). My second case during first round was on the superbowl.

Second (and final) round was in office of your choice - in my case, New York. It was a power interview day, meaning 4 interviews back-to-back with various partners and senior members at the firm. I had three cases and one fit interview. Each case was basic in format, but difficult in qualitative content - they really wanted to test your ability to make appropriate assumptions when you know next to nothing about the business or industry in question (for instance, my first case was on mobile phones in the UK).

All interviewers were very kind, nice people. They all did a bit of "fit" before each case, so even though I only had one fit interview during the day, each interviewer took the time to get to know me a little bit before diving right into the case. All interviewers were also explicit for what they were looking for - in OW's case, it was being very vocal about the assumptions you are going to make and why you are going to make them.

I didnt answer any cases perfectly, and made a couple of math errors here and there - its not a problem and your interviewer will point out your mistake. The key is to catch it and realize it, but also to enjoy the process. They are calling you out because they are trying to act more as your teammate than your interviewer; they are legitimately trying to help you, and as long as you've been vocal about your assumptions from minute one, they can help you and work with you.

Interview Questions
    • Market size the US market for pharmacy-based health clinics   Answer Question
    No negotiation necessary - the offer was very generous from the get go, and the recruitment staff has been very kind.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Apply by school career website. Received an email in 3 days. Got a phone interview in the same week. The interview was mainly about resume questions. Then I was expected to ask some questions.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

Applied through my campus recruiting website. They came to the university the week before to do a case workshop - it was very helpful, and I recommend going if you get the interview (or if not). The first round was a phone interview, two 25-minute cases, and no fit questions. This may not be the norm however because we had a snow storm that prevented the interviewers from coming to campus. Seems like usually there is 1 fit, 1 case. Cases were pretty straight forward, but got a call at 5 pm that day saying I didn't make it through to the next round - very efficient process

Interview Questions
    • One case question was estimating the sales of flowers on V-day in the US, another was a healthcare profit-loss case about a hospital.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2013.

I recruited through my college's recruiting system. I had to take some online math test, you can google it to get a sense of what it might be like, and even though I skipped a lot of questions and wasn't sure about the ones I answered, I still got an interview, so I don't think the test is too important. They paired me up with a buddy who was really friendly who even took time out of his day to give me a practice interview over the phone. On the day of the interview, they probably had about 100 students interview throughout the day, and I had two 30 minute interviews. The first one the guy was not that chill and seemed bored, but the case was pretty easy. The second interview, the lady was really friendly but the case was about healthcare and pretty difficult. They told me later that night at around 7 PM that I had not made it, but gave me good feedback and that I should practice more cases.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview was about a start up company that paired personal trainers with clients over Skype. They asked what standards they could group the different clientele by.

The second interview question was about healthcare (which I know nothing about) and was a lot more difficult.

Answer Question