Oliver Wyman Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014
Updated Sep 27, 2014

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2012.

My interview was split into two parts, intelligence and behavioral. Each part was given by a different consultant. During the intelligence interview I was asked to teach my interviewer something new and to estimate the size of a water reservoir that would serve Boston. We discussed my experiences during the behavioral interview. I found both interviewers very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the size of a water reservoir needed to serve the city of Boston.   Answer Question

Financial Services Consulting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2012.

Applied through university's career services website. Had two on-campus interviews, back to back, 45 minutes each. First interview consisted of a long case interview and short behavioral interview. Second interview was more of a behavioral interview, along with a short brainteaser.

Interview Questions
    • Are there two dogs in the world with the same number of hairs?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2012.

Found offer through campus recruitment site. Applied for an international position and was invited to a telephone interview shortly thereafter. After countless case-phone interviews by consultants that I wouldn't even be working with, I was finally invited to an office for a day of interviews. After passing those, I was invited to an interview day in office that I applied for. Thought it went well but didn't do well in case interview conducted in my non-native language and did not get offer. The interviews themselves were standard cases, but the length of the process I don't believe is cost efficient for them. And time-wise, it's expensive for applicants.

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

I applied through on-campus recruiting at my university.
    Before the first round interview the company held a presentation session a few hours long with the selected candidates to explain what to expect from case interviews. Then the night before the first round they invited us to a networking event to meet the consultants.
    First round consisted of 2 case interviews.
    The second round was in Dallas and the company took care of arranging travel and accomodation. The night before the second round we had a dinner to network with the consultants from Dallas.
    The second round consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview, each about 45 mins long.
    From my interactions with the company I believe that the corporate culture is very welcoming and that the people working in Oliver Wyman are friendly and supportive. I really liked the atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Which kind of business would you open? Why?
      What would be the capital expenses involved?
        Answer Question
    • Would you quit your job to open an ice cream stand?
      Why?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

Two 30-minute on-campus interviews. The first was with a consultant. He asked me some behavioral style questions, and did a quick 5-minute case at the end. The second was with a manager. He gave me a complete case. He was nice in that he let me run over ten minutes or so to finish the case. Even though I didn't due too well (due to my not practicing cases enough), I came out feeling pretty accomplished. Probably because both interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Quick case: Why are the lines in our client's bank averaging a 45-minute wait?   View Answer
    • Full case: How profitable is our client's credit card portfolio?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

First round is two 30 minute interview (fit and case; order may change). One is a fit interview where we went over my resume and talked about my previous work experience. My case interview was based on deducing life insurance strategies and the risk involved. No number crunching; just rationalizing. I had to deduce different sources of revenue and target markets, and how these factors fit into the overall business. The case was very challenging.

Interview Questions
    • Life insurance companies have two general plans they sell: protection and retirement annuity. How does the financial risk in the two strategies balance each other out?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Applied for job via career center and was offered a first round interview. First round interview last one hour and consisted of 30 minutes of fit questions, followed by 30 minutes of a case interview. The fit interviewer seemed not to be interested in my resume and the case seemed fairly straightforward. Know how to use frameworks and do not just fit frameworks to cases.

Interview Questions
    • Identify countries with emerging markets for mobile banking (products/ services on a phone). Determine the market size of these developing countries.   Answer Question

General Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

Recruited on campus, final rounds held at office. The first round interviewers from Boston were great. The interviewers in Chicago weren't friendly and didn't seem interested in the candidates.

Generalist Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2011.

I applied through their online application and received an email about a week later asking me to take an online quantitative test. The test was long and has more questions than can be answered: Geometry, probability, word problems, etc. The next day I was offered a phone interview. Within a week I was on the phone with a consultant from the Boston team. The phone interview was very straight forward (30mins) and consisted of the question "Why consulting" and then a case. My case was about declining profits/turnaround for a company that owned and operated parking garages. I messed up numbers...

They did call and give me feedback which was very helpful for my upcoming interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What should our client, a parking garage owner/operator, do to turnaround its business where profits are flat and competition is high.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2011.

I received an e-mail and was invited to take a "numeracy test," which was mostly basic math (algebra, probability, etc.). There were more questions than were possible to finish in the allotted time, but the problems weren't too difficult. A few days later, I received an invitation for a first interview over the phone. I scheduled it online by choosing a time on a predetermined date. The phone interview was pleasant and lasted about 30 minutes. The first five minutes were resume talk, then the remainder was a case interview. The consultant I spoke with called back a few days later to say I had not advanced to the next round of interviews and to give feedback. Still, overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The case involved how to increase the profits of a chain of gas stations.   Answer Question