Oliver Wyman

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in February 2012.

Interview Details – Friendly and very thorough interview process. But if you mess up once it really counts even if you recover. They also try to stress you out a bit during the fit interview. But don't panic.

Interview Question – Why don't you go to law school?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Chicago, IL

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in April 2012.

Interview Details – By far the most professional and efficient company I have interviewed with yet. I went through an initial screener with a partner, who then put me in touch with HR. I then took an online qualitative test and got past that. Next, they schedule a case interview over the phone with a Sr. Consultant. After getting past that step, I had another case interview over the phone, this time with a manager. Both cases were pretty straight forward and I was surprised to see how little math each of them had. After that, they scheduled the final round interview on site. This consisted of 4 different interviews, 2 case and 2 fit. The fit were very basic with no real surprises or hard questions. However, the cases were VERY specific to the healthcare industry for which I was interviewing. One was inpatient operations and the other population health. Having never worked in either of these settings within the healthcare industry, I struggled with each of them. In the past, every case interview I have done was set up in a way that you did not have to be familiar with the industry they take place in. However, I don't see how someone could have got through either of these without having prior knowledge or experience in the field. I got the call about 3 hours after the final interview and was told I wasn't getting an offer. Very disappointing, but I can respect the speed at which they moved and OW's HR staff actually responding to emails and correspondence.

Interview Question – Case: Pricing a new IV system for a hospital.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in June 2010.

Interview Details – Two initial phone interviews, 45 minutes each, majority of time spent on the case. Was made invitation to continue at the end of each phone interview. Was invited to a super day and interviewed alongside 3 other candidates, 4 interviews, 3 cases, 1 fit. Received a no offer call within 2 hours of leaving for the interview. Good feedback though.

Interview Question – What was the most challenging part of [insert resume activity]?   Answer Question

General Management Consultant Interview

General Management Consultant
Chicago, IL

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

Interview Details – Recruited on campus, final rounds held at office. The first round interviewers from Boston were great. The interviewers in Chicago weren't friendly and didn't seem interested in the candidates.

Interview Question – How do promotions work in a grocery store?   Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant Interview

Entry Level Consultant
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through on-campus recruiting at my university.
Before the first round interview the company held a presentation session a few hours long with the selected candidates to explain what to expect from case interviews. Then the night before the first round they invited us to a networking event to meet the consultants.
First round consisted of 2 case interviews.
The second round was in Dallas and the company took care of arranging travel and accomodation. The night before the second round we had a dinner to network with the consultants from Dallas.
The second round consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview, each about 45 mins long.
From my interactions with the company I believe that the corporate culture is very welcoming and that the people working in Oliver Wyman are friendly and supportive. I really liked the atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Which kind of business would you open? Why?
    What would be the capital expenses involved?
      Answer Question
  • Would you quit your job to open an ice cream stand?
    Why?
      Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2011.

Interview Details – Aptitude test
- Probability and maths.

First round
- 2 1:1 Interviews
- Both case and fit. Cases more of brainstorming session with interviewer.

Final round (at NYC main office)
- 3 1:1 Interviews (Cases)
- 1 1:1 Interview (Fit)
- Cases are longer, but CaseinPoint would not help.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in December 2010.

Interview Details – As usual First Phone interview and then 1:1 Interview. Cases were of average difficulty. Got a feedback back that I should structure my cases more, but my business acumen was very good. Interviewing again in Jan 2012

Interview Questions

• A Pharmaceutical Company bought a start up that has come up with a new non-invasive product that can replace the gastroband technology used to reduce weight in Obese people. Tell me the market size, custome segmentation, how to price and the possible risks.   Answer Question
  • An M&A case: whether a Pharmaceutical company should buy a medium size biotech company   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2011.

Interview Details – I received an e-mail and was invited to take a "numeracy test," which was mostly basic math (algebra, probability, etc.). There were more questions than were possible to finish in the allotted time, but the problems weren't too difficult. A few days later, I received an invitation for a first interview over the phone. I scheduled it online by choosing a time on a predetermined date. The phone interview was pleasant and lasted about 30 minutes. The first five minutes were resume talk, then the remainder was a case interview. The consultant I spoke with called back a few days later to say I had not advanced to the next round of interviews and to give feedback. Still, overall a positive experience.

Interview Question – The case involved how to increase the profits of a chain of gas stations.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2011.

Interview Details – Two 30-minute on-campus interviews. The first was with a consultant. He asked me some behavioral style questions, and did a quick 5-minute case at the end. The second was with a manager. He gave me a complete case. He was nice in that he let me run over ten minutes or so to finish the case. Even though I didn't due too well (due to my not practicing cases enough), I came out feeling pretty accomplished. Probably because both interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Quick case: Why are the lines in our client's bank averaging a 45-minute wait?   View Answer
  • Full case: How profitable is our client's credit card portfolio?   View Answer

Generalist Management Consultant Interview

Generalist Management Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through their online application and received an email about a week later asking me to take an online quantitative test. The test was long and has more questions than can be answered: Geometry, probability, word problems, etc. The next day I was offered a phone interview. Within a week I was on the phone with a consultant from the Boston team. The phone interview was very straight forward (30mins) and consisted of the question "Why consulting" and then a case. My case was about declining profits/turnaround for a company that owned and operated parking garages. I messed up numbers...

They did call and give me feedback which was very helpful for my upcoming interviews.

Interview Question – What should our client, a parking garage owner/operator, do to turnaround its business where profits are flat and competition is high.   Answer Question