Oliver Wyman

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied with cover letter and resume. Had one pre interview meeting and then had an official interview. The interview was 30 minutes of a case - which was relatively straightforward - and then a 30 minute fit interview.

Interview Question – Tell me one time you wanted something and how you got it.   Answer Question

Management Consulting Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – Invited to take assessment tests, which were difficult. Knowledge of algebra and geometry is helpful.

Interview Question – The assessment tests.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – Applied through on campus recruiting. Generally nice and efficient interview process. Two 30 minute interviews, one completely fit and another half fit half case study. Case was not particularly challenging.

Interview Question – How would a bank increase ATM usage?   Answer Question

Management Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – Initial communication was done through my school's on campus recruitment.

First interview was postponed due to the blizzard in the northeast, so I ended up having my first round as a phone interview two days later. Case was based off of personal experiences (ie we talked about my life, and my interviewer made a case out of one particular business I liked in town). My second case during first round was on the superbowl.

Second (and final) round was in office of your choice - in my case, New York. It was a power interview day, meaning 4 interviews back-to-back with various partners and senior members at the firm. I had three cases and one fit interview. Each case was basic in format, but difficult in qualitative content - they really wanted to test your ability to make appropriate assumptions when you know next to nothing about the business or industry in question (for instance, my first case was on mobile phones in the UK).

All interviewers were very kind, nice people. They all did a bit of "fit" before each case, so even though I only had one fit interview during the day, each interviewer took the time to get to know me a little bit before diving right into the case. All interviewers were also explicit for what they were looking for - in OW's case, it was being very vocal about the assumptions you are going to make and why you are going to make them.

I didnt answer any cases perfectly, and made a couple of math errors here and there - its not a problem and your interviewer will point out your mistake. The key is to catch it and realize it, but also to enjoy the process. They are calling you out because they are trying to act more as your teammate than your interviewer; they are legitimately trying to help you, and as long as you've been vocal about your assumptions from minute one, they can help you and work with you.

Interview Question – Market size the US market for pharmacy-based health clinics   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation necessary - the offer was very generous from the get go, and the recruitment staff has been very kind.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Financial Services through my school's recruiting process. You need to take a timed online quantitative test but I saw no evidence that your score matters (I answered fewer than 10 questions.) Throughout the pre-interview reception the people seemed brilliant yet all the more incredibly down-to-earth and laid-back. There were two back-to-back first round interviews, one case and one fit. The case was very different from typical structured cases--it was much more open-ended, big-picture thinking. That evening they called to congratulate me on making it to second rounds one week later in New York. That time they included a case presentation in front of a panel with 30 minutes to prepare, along with one normal case and one resume-based interview. The next day a partner made another personal phone call to congratulate me on receiving an offer.

Interview Question – Knowing marginal revenue and cost curves helped.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in March 2010.

Interview Details – Gave me two case studies without walking through my resume. Talked about a gas station franchise that had been previously unsuccessful in one and a defect in Toyota's manufacturing process in the other. They were deceptively friendly let me really explain my ideas fully, which in the end counted against me. Key to them is to remember to keep a broad view of the issue and not get sucked into details too easily.

Interview Question – What should Toyota do given that it had a manufacturing defect in its line of hybrids?   Answer Question

Management Consulting Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oliver Wyman.

Interview Details – Online quantitative test, similar to a SAT math exam. Then a few rounds of 30 minute phone case interviews. Last interviewer was late to the phone call, didn't really seem to even have his question/case in order and made one up on the spot. Interviewer didn't really say anything during the case and despite literally reading off a modified structure from Case In Point on the exact case. . . I was told my solution "didn't have much structure" and no other feedback. . . . really? really? Anyway, didn't get an offer though I was tempted to tell the interviewer to get the s$%t together before the call individuals for the cases next time.

Interview Question – 1) A city is going bankrupt, figure out why.
2)market entry problem
  View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Oliver Wyman in January 2012.

Interview Details – This is about numerical and verbal reasoning tests which I was asked to do before going for the second round interview. I think those were SHL tests. I did not reach their expected margins. ?

Interview Questions

Worked for Oliver Wyman? Contribute to the Community!