Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Olympus Corporation of the Americas Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.8

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas.

Interview

I applied for a marketing role around mid-November 2014 that was a close fit for my experience. I did not receive any feedback until early-February 2015 when I was called for a phone screen by a recruiter with the company. The phone screen took all of 15-20 minutes and consisted mostly of the recruiter asking some standard questions to assess my skills/abilities (e.g., "rank your familiarity on the following tools/concepts on a scale of 1-10...") and providing an overview of the company and benefits. She sounded rushed, but I thought nothing of it, thinking that it was just a busy day.

Despite at least two follow-up messages on my part, at least two weeks passed by before I heard anything in response. During/after the initial screen, I was never provided with at least a high-level overview of what to expect from the recruiting process, other than they were looking to fill the role ASAP and an in-person interview would be the next step. The waiting period gave me the impression that I was either not accepted to move forward, the position was delayed/eliminated, or someone was too busy to follow-up. I ultimately received an automated message from the corporate HR system, asking me to complete an online application. This was followed by a return phone call from the same recruiter to set-up an in-person interview for the end of February, with just a few days notice in advance of the interview. Application submission to in-person interview was a solid 3 months at this point.

The hiring manager greeted me when I arrived for my interview. I did not receive an outline of my agenda for the day at any point in time with names or titles of the people with whom I would be interviewing. I did not meet with HR at any point in time, either. The interview took 2 hours and I only met with individuals from the hiring department. First, I met with the hiring manager and another individual. I was asked to present specific examples of my past projects and taken through three sets of written questions. The hiring manager followed these questions word-for-word with little deviation from what was on the paper. Both were very neutral in demeanor the entire time, even during my presentation of my work, when they expressed little desire to ask follow-up questions. I didn't find the questions particularly challenging, just generic. Second, I met with a higher-level person in the department in a more informal manner. We walked through my resume and specific, non-written questions that the person had. These questions were more tailored towards my background and specific experiences.

In general, I felt that the interview went well, even if I was unable to see an overwhelmingly positive reception from any of the interviewers, but I was left dissatisfied with the communication (or lack thereof) received during the entire process. I followed up a number of times to see if there were any next steps to consider following the in-person interview only to be met with silence. At this point and based on feedback from others who have interviewed here, I have come to expect this so-called "silent treatment," but I find it distasteful. Even if not selected for the role, a simple, automated letter to close the loop would be nice!

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Center Valley, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Came back from an interview I had back in December because of a hiring freeze. Received an offer and then told me they couldn't verify my education. I never had any trouble with my past employers on verifying my education. I had my identity stolen a few months ago and believe this was this issue. They refused to talk to my institution to verify that I had my degree. Horrible company that only thinks of you as a number. Thank God I didn't get hired by them.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas.

Interview

Not bad. They moved pretty quickly to come through with an offer. At first HR wanted to contact one of my employers who hadn't kept records more than 5 years back and it wasn't a position that was relevant to the one I was applying for so the hiring manager over road HR so that we could move forward.

Interview Questions

• I came from a direct competitor so questions were not difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered considerably more than my current position.

Technical Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Center Valley, PA).

Interview

I actually felt the interview process was thorough. I gave a presentation so the interviewer could see that I was able to present to an audience. The questions asked made sense, and I was given ample opportunity to present my skills. Another manager was also brought in to ask me questions, and I felt he also asked good questions.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you versus someone that has more years of experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really was no negotiation at the interview. I was mailed an offer letter, I felt it was a good offer, and I accepted.

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas.

Interview

The interview process was comfortable. The questions were more about your recent work not all the "how did you handle a situation when" kind of questions. The managers were very interested in hearing my background and experience instead of putting me in the hot seat.

Interview Questions

• Questions on salary expectations are always the most difficult.   Answer Question

Endoscopy Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Chelmsford, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interview process was very long but pleasant and comfortable. Typical questions, mostly pertaining to how you would handle certain situations. HR asked of questions over phone pertaining to current job as
    Well as what a typical day looks like for you. Be prepared for salary questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time that you had to handle a difficult situation?   Answer Question

R&D Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Norwalk, OH).

Interview

There are two interviews. One on campus and the other on the facility. You will meet with the department group (3 people) and one HR manager. Questions are just like any other interview (name a time when you...)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Field Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Cypress, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough but pleasant. I applied online for the position and was emailed about a week and a half later by a talent acquisition specialist for a phone interview with said person. When the talent acquisition specialist set up the phone interview with me he was very accommodating to my schedule. After the phone interview which was basic personality questions and just getting to know you better he told me the next steps of the process and surprisingly told me right then that he would recommend me to the hiring manager. Later that evening I received an email from the hiring manager that he would like to set up a phone interview with me and responded very quickly to my response. Later that same week I received the call per our agreed time which again the hiring manager was very accommodating. He asked some technical questions and just talked a bit to get to know me. He then asked to set up a sit down interview for the end of the week at 8am. I showed up to the interview 15 mins early and he was there waiting for me and we started the sit down interview which he went over all aspect of the job and what products I would support. The sit down interview lasted about an hour and he even answered questions about the latest scandals and layoffs with Olympus. Then I was set up with another phone interview with the HR Generalist for today 31 Mar 14 and was asked basic HR questions such as, "Describe a time you had to get a project done in a timely manner and you had a coworker that just was not on the same page? What did you do?" Then we talked a bit so she could get to know me a bit and I was informed of the next stage in the process. After this stage is either an offer letter or Olympus letting you know that they decided to move forward with someone else. I was told that there was not anyone else in the final stage of the interview process so it looks promising for me. Overall even though it has been a long process with four different interviews it has been very pleasant not once did I feel uncomfortable or pressured. If all companies interview process was like this search for a job would be a very relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any difficult questions. In my interview process the technical question were really common knowledge. So, if you are in that field you would definitely know the answers.   Answer Question

Assistant General Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview and 2 call backs. First was a phone interview with recruiter. Second was with staff. 3rd was with HR and general counsel. Overall the questions were fairly standard. About 2-3 hours for each round of interviews. No notification that offer was not received. Friendly and nice about interview process. Seemed like a good company and employees were open and honest during interviews.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Olympus Corporation of the Americas (Center Valley, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

Went through a long process (3 phone interviews with final face to face in PA) but it was worth it. I held out for this company for ten weeks as I was very specific in my needs and I was looking for a large company with vertical mobility potential, good health plan, good 401k and healthy tuition reimbursement. I turned down a very similar opportunity at another -more $$ but smaller- company before taking this one because their proprietary nano tech was too rudimentary and the people I interviewed with seemed angry and over-worked. My last Engineer job was a Japanese soul-stealing dead end rodent treadmill and I was keen to not repeat this. I have very high hopes for Olympus as all the people I interviewed with were very intelligent and dynamic. The process was relatively pain free and they genuinely seemed to be interested in a good fit both technically and personality-wise. The responsibility demarcation for each interviewer was well-defined and each person was responsible for a particular area: HR, Tech, big-picture and personality. I particularly liked the last person who interviewed me (no names) as he was extremely thorough and seemed like he wanted a zen-like fit and had good questions and a healthy holistic approach to his philosophy. The only down side was it was a long process but this is not uncommon in larger companies with very specific needs and they can afford to be picky. I will update later as required for this company. Process mechanics: Full criminal background check with consumer data (credit rating) and a whiz-quizz.

Interview Questions

• Based on what you know so far how would you describe the perfect 100% fit for this position? -paraphrased-   Answer Question