Omni Air Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2015

2.6

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Omni Air (Tulsa, OK) in March 2015.

Interview

Straight forward and no surprises. They were very flexible and both interviewers were on time and pleasant. It was really a pretty relaxed atmosphere and felt a lot better than a previous intereview I had with another job. If offered the job, they will tell you the pay scale and ask if you're okay with that and the duties required.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if my relief was late and it was the end of my shift?   Answer Question

Lead A&P Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Omni Air (Dallas, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Showed up on time, the interviewers showed up 30 minutes late. They didn't seen to have anything planned out. We started the interview in an employee break room, with other employees coming in talking and getting coffee. We moved two more time before the interview was over.
    The overall feel was unprofessional. I guess I shouldn't put fingers since I gave up on trying to impress them half way through the interview.
    Each member of the panel would ask the same questions the one before. One member didn't ask any questions, she stayed typing on her phone the whole time. I was glad to be done with the whole thing. I've never left an interview glad about not getting the job before this one.

Interview Questions

• The questions are easy, just understand you'll be answering them again every time someone new speaks.   Answer Question

Interview Interview

Interview

Very unimpressed. Small company filled with inept employees. Extremely disorganized. I worked with two ladies in HR - one was very pleasant and professional, the other looked and acted like she obviously hated her job. There is a lot of turnover and the reasons are obvious. If you choose to accept a position, do so with the intent of leaving within 2 years.

Interview Questions

I had better opportunities elsewhere and this company did not impress me in the slightest.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Omni Air (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

This is an approximate timeline of events from the day.

This was an open call at a hotel in Seattle with only the first 200 allowed in. (50 showed up today)

6:30am - I arrive. There are about 5 other hopefuls there too. Sign in put your name & where you live. They also give you a paper about what they pay, benefits, & a brief company history.

6:45am - They start a three minute video with music, & random pictures. The video is on auto repeat until 8am.

7:00am - The video is still playing & about 30 people are in the room now.

8:00am - About 50 people are in the room now. Doors are closed, & the video stopped.

8:01am - The recruiting team each give their name, & how long they have worked for Omni Air. Today it was Jill from in-flight services been there forever, Jenel from HR been there for a few months, Justine been there a few weeks, & Jena who is also from HR.

8:05am - They quickly go over the job requirements. (able to lift 50lbs, working on holidays...)

8:06am - A video is played with Jeff Crippen (CEO), Rob Coretz (founder), pilots & flight attendants all telling you how awesome Omni Air is.

8:12am - Jill now takes the microphone & tells us more about the airline. Omni has 11 aircraft in their fleet, mix of Boeing 777s & 767s, 320 flight attendants. You work a 19 day block per month, but it can be at the end of one month, & the start of the next, meaning you might not be going home for over 40 days, or longer. You pay $500 for the first uniform ($30 per paycheck) & they don't provide luggage but require that your luggage is black . Training is four weeks, & pays $200 per week, & you share a hotel room with a classmate.

8:30am - Q & A time. No date set for next class, but before end of year. No benefits until 61 days after you complete training. No flight benefits for a year, but after you can fly on United. After training they give you one ticket to a) go to the city where you are based or b) go to the city where you currently live. Their main customer is the US Government. Japan & Kiewit common destinations.

8:50am - First break of the day. They say now is the time to go if this is not the job for you.

9:05am - Break is over. We are told to stand up one at a time & in 60 seconds,
                Say our first & last name.
                Spell our last name.
                Say the last four digits of our social security number.
                Tell what in your life has prepared you to be a flight attendant.

My advice here is to keep it short. They did not hide there annoyance with people that talked longer, one of the HR ladies was rolling her eyes at more then one person who was sharing there entire life history.

10:00am - Three pieces of paper are passed out for us to read out loud. Each was along the lines of "Put you seatback & tray table in the full upright position..." After reading you passed the paper down so the next person can read it. Tip: speak clearly & loudly.

10:25am - We are told that the recruiters are going to decide who gets to move forward, & that they'll post the list on the door when they are done. All of us wait outside the conference room.

11:00am - The list is posted. Those on the list now re-enter the room. About 20 from the original 50 are here. We are given applications to fill out, you must account for every month of your life for the last 10 years, & agree to a DOT drug test. You are told that any mistakes, or if anything is left blank you are disqualified. You are also to memorize proper preflight checks & operation of a fire extinguisher. (I put this at the end.) We sign up for interview times 1, 2, or 3pm. We are now free to go, but told to be back in that room by our interview time.

2:00pm - The 8 of us for this time slot meet back in the room. The Omni Air HR person arrives a few minutes later. We are lead to chairs outside a hotel room. Applications are collected at this point. One by one we are called in, with interviews taking about 5 minutes. Most were offered jobs but those that were not were because they forgot something on the application, one lady forgot to initial next to agreeing to the drug test, another didn't initial next to allowing a background check though she singed the bottom of the form. My name is called. I sit down at the table across from the HR lady in the hotel room. She says that my application was marked incomplete, I asked what did I not put down. On one of my jobs I forgot to put why I left the job. She goes on to tell me that part of being a flight attendant is following instructions, which I was unable to do.

Fire Extinguishers (This is word for word for what they wanted us to memorize)

Pre-Flight Check:
        1. Securely bracketed.
        2. Pin intact with seal.
        3. Gauge in green.

Usage:
        1. Remove from bracket.
        2. Hold upright.
        3. Twist pin to break seal.
        4. PASS - Pull safety pin
                    Aim at base of flames about 6 feet away
                    Squeeze top lever
                    Sweep in a side-to-side motion

Interview Questions

• First part of the interview -
      In 60 seconds tell us, your first and last name, spell your last name, tell us the last 4 of your social security number, and tell us what has prepared you for this job?

If you make it into round two -
      Why do you want to work for Omni Air?
      What are the pre-flight checks for a fire extinguisher? What is the proper way to use a fire extinguisher? (they give you the steps to memorize before this point.)

Answer Question

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Omni Air (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

Learned about the job thru Monster. Initial interview over the phone. Had to provide own transportation to Tulsa for the face-to-face interview with no reimbursement. Taught how you love to travel the airline industry is where you want to be. Must be able to pass a drug screening and an FBI background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to get a bit more than the position paid, but promises that were made were not kept as far as advancement.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Omni Air (Virginia Beach, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

I went to an open call at a hotel in Virginia Beach with only the first 200 allowed in. You have from 6:00 am to 8:00 am to register, the doors close at exactly 8:00. At 8:00 am there are around 100 people in the room and the video with pictures of Omni employee's they have playing is stopped and the introductions of the recruiters begin.

The lady from HR now takes the microphone & tells us more about the airline. Omni has 11 aircraft in their fleet, mix of Boeing 777s & 767s, 320 flight attendants. You work a 19 day block per month, but it can be at the end of one month, & the start of the next, meaning you might not be going home for over 40 days, or longer. You pay $500 for the first uniform ($30 per paycheck) & they don't provide luggage but require that your luggage is black . Training is four weeks, & pays $200 per week, & you share a hotel room with a classmate.

Break is over. We are told to stand up one at a time & in 60 seconds,
                Say our first & last name.
                Spell our last name.
                Say the last four digits of our social security number.
                Tell a little about yourself, and stand out.

They want people who can follow directions, so remember to say your four numbers and spell out your name! Also don't tell your life story, they don't want it. Remember to be confident, and show off your best features of your resume and life skills.

Three pieces of paper are passed out for us to read out loud. Each was along the lines of "Put you seatback & tray table in the full upright position..." After reading you passed the paper down so the next person can read it. Tip: speak clearly and loudly, if you do mess up don't try to go back and fix it just keep reading.

The list is posted. I didn't get that far in the interview process.

Interviewed Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Omni Air in November 2013.

Interview

Watch the same intro video that is on the website. Then you state in 60 sec why you want to fly for Omni. Then they make you read a announcement one by one. After this is completed, they have everyone step out of the room. They will then come out with your last four SSN # on a sheet of paper. That means you will move on to the one on one interview.
    I find this whole interview to be a waste of time.

They don't go for former flight attendants in my opinion. They pick other people with no experience and who struggled reading the announcement. I was in shock but wasn't surprised. You are only guaranteed 65 HOURS a month! That's lower than working for regional. $18.05 per hour which is good for a charter, but that the same rate if you worked regional as well. Flight benefits is way different for a charter. They have jump seat agreements for travel. You real travel benefits start after a year and its with United.

Its a good airline, but wouldn't recommend it for myself. Best information is that they travel all over the world and you mostly fly the military and armed forces around. This is airline would be great to start off your flight attendant career.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Omni? Not a difficult question   Answer Question

HQ Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Omni Air (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

The interview process was fairly informal and unorganized. It was basically a discussion with the hiring manager followed by lunch with members of the department. The hiring manager simply wanted to get an idea of where I wanted to be and how this job was going to help me get there. I sat down with HR very briefly for a few questions about my work history, but this seemed to be more of a formality. I later learned that they have no real influence on the hiring process.

The hiring process was drawn out to an unacceptable length of time. It took over 3 months from the closing of the position online to the job offer.

Interview Questions

• N/A: This was really just an assessment of whether or not I would fit with the department. They had my resume in hand and knew my qualifications/experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A: The HR department is completely disrespectful to the negotiation process. (In my experience, hiring is not their specialty. Their true focus is on the discipline of flight attendants.)

Operations Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Omni Air (Tulsa, OK) in July 2013.

Interview

Very easy, as long as you have experience and some school..2 interviews and got the call.

Interview Questions

• no questions that couldn't be answered by common sense answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They will tell you what they are willing to pay, period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Omni Air (Seattle, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

My interview session for Omni Air was held in Seattle, WA.

The session began promptly at 8:00am, doors were open to registration at 6:30am. The session also only allowed the first 200 people, I would say that my session only had slightly over 100 people total.

The first part of the session is an introduction by the company in front of all the applicants. They also opened up for general questions after the company introduction. Once the Q/A session was finished, we all broke for a 15 min. break and then came back into the session room and split ourselves up into two larger groups.

In the groups, each person gave a 60 second introduction and a reason why they want to work as a flight attendant for Omni Air. Come prepared and try to not give standard answers, and don't go over 60 seconds! After everyone had given their introductions, the recruiters passed around three different flight attendant announcement sheets and had each person read off the announcements out loud (1 announcement per person).

Afterward, there was another 20 min. break and both of the groups were narrowed down to who the recruiters wanted to continue in the process. I would say about 35 people made it. Those who did were given an application and a couple of forms to sign. The application MUST be filled out correctly. Many applicants in the next process were sent home just for filling it out incorrectly. The remaining candidates were broken up into three interview times after lunch.

Next step was individual interviews. For those who filled out their applications correctly and who were given a one-on-one interview, seemed to get hired. There was also a small safety procedure regarding the use of the on board fire extinguisher that needed to be memorized for the one-on-one interview.

The interview itself consisted of two parts. The first step was with a representative of HR who goes over your application and asks why you want to work for Omni and other general questions. If the recruiter deems you to be a good candidate, you then meet with an inflight supervisor who continues interviewing you in a separate room. At this time you need to recite the safety procedure for the fire extinguisher (by memory) and then again answer questions about why you want to be a flight attendant and if you will be able to do the job and be ok with working a flexible schedule. At this stage, the questions aren't very difficult. The airline wants to make sure that you understand that being a flight attendant is more than just serving drinks.

Here is my advice

First, if you have never worked in the airline industry before, you have to understand that it is a fast paced and stressful work environment. If you are a shy person, or prefer 9-5, then this job probably will not work out for you. Most people give the same generic answers about becoming a flight attendant such as "I love meeting new people", "I love customer service", and "I love to travel". While those might all seem like good reasons to be a flight attendant, those are not the best answers to give in an interview.

Second, come prepared. Being prepared will help you in the interview process and make you stand out from other applicants. Dress professional. Emulate what flight attendants wear when they're working. Black or very dark blue is the preferred color. Ladies must be dressed somewhat conservatively. Guys should always wear a suit and tie.

Third, be friendly. Talk to the other applicants, try to meet as many as possible. Always smile, be outgoing, and definitely project when speaking to the recruiters. In some ways, flight attendants are the life blood of the company. They get the most "face time" with the customers.

Fourth, understand the job. This goes along with the first advice, but know what you're getting in to. Being a flight attendant is a career job. You will always be on your feet, traveling around the world (at least with Omni), and flexibility is key. You will be away from your home for many days at a time. You have to understand the lifestyle is different than working a 9-5 job and sitting at a desk. If you have a quiet personality, you might want to work on that before you interview. You will be helping strangers every day on the job.

Airlines do not give feed back if you do not get hired. Most people aren't hired on their first flight attendant interview. Be prepared for a full day (early morning to late evening). Also, four weeks of unpaid training are mandatory for all Omni flight attendants. Lastly, starting flight attendants generally do not make a lot of money, no matter which airline they work for. Keep that in mind :)

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too difficult to answer, but before you actually interview, make sure you know why YOU want to become a flight attendant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Omni hired applicants the same day. Starting pay is $18.05/hr with a minimum of 65 guaranteed hours of pay each month.