Omni Hotels

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Esthetician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Omni Hotels in August 2010.

HR called to set up an interview with me at 9AM that week. When I showed up and asked for the person I will be interviewing with, another HR representative said "Oh, we had a party last night, I doubt she will show up at 9." Really? It's ok to show up to work late if you were at a party?
Ok...well she pointed outside to show me where the applications were to fill out. It was in a broken plastic bin with applications falling over. So this is hospitality? Usually I am given applications by hand to fill out and ask if I need a pen. As I begin to fill it out the poorly Xeroxed application, the first page asks me to sign the page agreeing to: 1) Show up on time for work 2) Women, no heavy make-up, perfume, or wild hair 3) No drug usage 4) Men, no long hair.... REALLY?? You have to ASK your interviewees to sign this before proceeding? What kind of people are you attracting? So I signed it, filled the rest of it out, and handed it in, to a lady who had the most clownish make-up on and thought to myself, I just had to sign a paper to not look like this.
 It is now about 9:15 and my interviewer has still not showed up. I sit back out in the hallway to wait, and wait...and wait. The time is now 9:40 and I myself had to go back into the room to ask if everything is ok. They said yes, and that another interviewer, Kim, will be interviewing me. I go back into the hall, and waited. Usually, I am also asked if I would like anything to drink, this was not the case. As I wait, I can hear from the hallway that my original interviewer had dropped the ball on a task, and needed to hurry to finish it. You couldn't just reschedule with me? So I wanted until 9:55 until someone came out to interview me. It was not Kim, it was the Spa director. Ok...I thought to myself, this is just really unorganized. So we had the interview...in the hallway! When talking about personal information especially background, compensation, etc. this needs to be in private without other workers walking by listening, who are potential coworkers who do not need to know any more information unless you give it.
I walk back to my car and see the concierge who looked like he just got out of bed, shirt untucked, hair dropping below his ears, hanging far from his hat. He is wearing the company uniform, ready to greet guests looking like this?
I was offered to come back for a practical interview to show my skills. I accepted in hopes to perhaps love the spa, the people, and the environment.I met with the lead esthetician, who liked my facial and recommended me to the spa director. The only thing is, she told me about the previous esthetician and her shortcomings, problems, and issues. As the interviewee, I should not be hearing about the "issues" from previous employers. That should be confidential. We are not friends, we are in an interview process.
About 2 weeks later I was called for the job offer. 2 weeks? The job offer was from my original caller who did not even apologize for not meeting with me the first time. She offers me the job without knowing compensation, benefits, or anything that is pertinent to an employee. And she just sounded like she was annoyed to speak of any of this. If this is how HR is with their employees, how do you treat the customers? I had to ask her all the questions, in which she had no "real" answer for, since they were in a "transition." Shouldn't you know how much you will be offering before you call a potential employee? Then I had to ask her about the next processes since she did not give it. I asked about an offer letter, which she said would be given when I agree to the position. Fair enough, but I cannot agree to any position in which I have no idea about what I am offered.
She said she will get back to me on my questions and I haven't heard from them again. Big surprise.

Interview Questions
  • You can be on call, even during your work hours at your present job.   View Answer

See above.