One Acre Fund Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at One Acre Fund in February 2015.

Entire interview process takes anywhere from 2-4 months, usually consisting of: 2 phone interviews, 1 timed exercise, and finally an in-country case study/field work.

First interview was fairly straightforward & relatively short. Typical interview questions as well as a case study question (How would you approach a tree planting program).

Second interview consisted of creating materials for field officers for a tree planting program: calendars, talking points, meeting outline, contract, etc. within 3 hrs.

Interview Questions
    • What are the top 3 things to keep in mind when planning a tree planting program?   Answer Question

Grant Writer/Reporter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at One Acre Fund.

There are five steps to this interview process:

1) Research a topic to write a one-pager
    2) Write a grant concept note, get feedback, do revisions
    3) Interview with current grant writer
    4) Write a second, longer grant concept note, get feedback, do revisions (get paid some sort of honorarium)
    5) Final interview

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at One Acre Fund.

Phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview lasted 30-45 minutes and touched on my background, past project experience, and dealt with a hypothetical regarding a planting project where you were asked how you would run the project, adapt the project, etc.

Regarding the hypothetical - first, you are asked about how you'd begin the project with a set of variables (helpers, families, information). Second, you are asked how you would deal with an unforeseen circumstance (not enough helpers and too many families). Third, you are asked about how you would deal with a change of circumstances three weeks prior to the project launch.

Interview Questions
    • The multi-step project planning and adaptation hypothetical. Not especially difficult, but the interviewer has a number (4 or 5) items he requests that you are asked to offer to him, which seems a bit of a stretch. In other words, what are the 4 or 5 items that are the most important with regards to the change in circumstances?   Answer Question

New Country Expansion Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at One Acre Fund.

Initial contact to setup phone interview was via email and didn't take too long post online application. Phone interview was actually via skype call and was easily scheduled. Interviewer was easy to speak with and it was a good experience, laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't too over the top, only one that threw me off was essentially and SAT mathematical word problem. I'm no good at word problems, so I'm pretty sure that killed it for me. Oh well, the interviewer was good and it was great to be afforded the opportunity of an interview. The Question: Empty all the seats, dashboards, carpet, steering wheel/column from inside a car and pour quarters through the sunroof till it is completely full and close the sunroof. How many quarters are inside the cab of the car?   View Answers (2)

Program Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at One Acre Fund.

3 rounds of interviews, 1 Skype, 1 phone, 1 in person in Kenya. Long interviews, business case questions, detailed questions about your resume and experience. As a group, very enthusiastic about their jobs and what they're doing.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to plan a pilot project on the spot from recruiting field managers and farmers to final roll out.   Answer Question

Talent Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at One Acre Fund in October 2012.

The Talent team is very laid-back and friendly. I had an initial phone interview and after that about 4 more interview rounds. They asked me to do assignments and give a presentation to make sure that I could handle certain aspects of the role. They flew me out for an in-person interview in one of the final rounds and I also interviewed with the founder, Andrew Youn.

New Country Scout Interview

I applied online – interviewed at One Acre Fund.

Long interview process, it took over 3 months from application to offer. First interview was on the phone with HR, then on the phone with director in Kenya, and eventually in face to face in Uganda. All the interviewers were very cordial and professional, and the interviews were quite structured to cover a lot of questions in a limited amount of time.

The interviewers encouraged questions and shared a lot of information but the interview is so structured and comprehensive that I always ended up asking only couple questions at the to avoid going way overtime. The more I prepared for each interview the more I was sold on the organization, but at every step they reminded me that very few get an offer in the end. Even when they invited me on site they mentioned only 40% of candidates get an offer at this point... feels a bit endless.

I spent almost a week with the pilot team in Uganda and witnessed first hand the quality of OAF's work; it's an admirable organization with a fun hard working team. Not so great on the personal life like any field development position due to limited civilization in rural areas. I am very fortunate to get an offer, I can't wait to start.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready for the usual, motivation and behavioral questions, and the unusual, case questions that put you very much in the situation of the job. I had done extensive research on the agriculture in Africa and the OAF to prepare for the latter, which help a little bit but really it was more about combining creativity and operational thinking.

The case questions were a bit stressful for me because I don't have a background in development in Africa, nor in agriculture in any way. Thankfully my professional experience is relevant to the job description and my personality is a good fit for the challenges of life in the field.

Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate since the conditions matched my expectations.

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Accra (Ghana)
    Anonymous Employee in Accra (Ghana)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at One Acre Fund in February 2015.

Skype Interview and then three hour case study exercise. It's a very arduous interview process and they never offered feedback for the case study exercise because of a "high number of applicants." It just seemed very impersonal and that they put applicants through far too much- even for applicants, like me, who lived and worked in the country in which the position is located for two years. I know how systems and people operate in that country, I speak the language, I have managed projects there and this cookie cutter, far too ridiculous interview process is robbing this organization of many potentially great employees. This case study should not be the cut off point.

Interview Questions
    • Relating to a hypothetical tree planting project. How would you handle there not being enough field employees for the number of participants planting trees?   Answer Question

New Country Scout Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at One Acre Fund.

Initial communication was over email and laid out clearly interview process.
    First stage - skype interview with HR person in New York. Interview consisted of questions about resume followed by some theoretical questions about a tree planting project in Kenya. The questions death with abatement of the project and implementation as well as responses to problems that occur.
    Second stage - skype interview with General Partner (American) stationed in Kenya. More questions about past experiences from resume followed by more information about the position I was applying for. Last part was more hypothetical questions about a program dealing with introducing a new fertilizer to farmers.

Interview Questions
    • I never feel as though the questions were difficult but maybe because that is because of my previous multiple years of experience in development work in developing countries.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at One Acre Fund.

Skype interview. Interviewer was very friendly. Questions were as expected. One Acre Fund is the place for you if you want to make a difference in the world. Enjoyed the whole experience.