One Kings Lane

Relevance Date Difficulty

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at One Kings Lane in June 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted the recruiter through LinkedIn and got the interview call. I had 2 phone screens in which I was asked fairly simple questions such as why QA and why not Software Developer and some other questions such as how would you employ testing a website. After that I was called for 3 hour onsite interview in which I had 3 technical rounds of 45 minutes each, 1 other round with the team lead who told me what was expected from me for the position for about 10-15 minutes and the last was with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – I was asked 2 sql queries to solve.
Q1. Given a Employee table that contains DOB, how will I determine the employees who are 30 years or more old.
Q2. It was fairly easy. Something related to inner join.

The programming questions were
Q1. Given an unsorted array from numbers 1 to N where 1 number is missing, how will I find that element with one single iteration.
Q2. How will I determine if the given BST is balanced or not.
Q3. I don't remember it exactly but it was easy/moderate level question.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was Quality Engineer role and I got Software Engineer role in other company, that's why I declined the offer.

Front End Engineer Interview

Front End Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at One Kings Lane in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through a recruiter and promptly got a phone interview.

During the first call I was set up with an engineer for a one hour phone interview. She asked me a mix of javascript-based algorithmic questions and general knowledge about web development (such as what happens when you type a url into a browser?).

I didn't hear hear back for about 2 weeks when I was contacted for a second technical interview. During this call another engineer asked me questions about CSS (box model) closures and prototype.

The internal HR staff that helped set up the interviews were very nice and responsive with all their emails, but unfortunately I can't say I had such a good experience with the technical interviewers.

While both engineers seemed relaxed and polite, they were also pretty condescending in the ways they responded to questions and made off-handed comments.

Interview Question – Create a function for computing the nth fibonacci number then make it as performant as possible.   Answer Question

Planning Analyst Interview

Planning Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at One Kings Lane in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process started out on a positive note, I had an easy-going phone screen with an HR representative in which I felt good about. About a month later (due to an already planned move to NYC), I had my first in-office interview. The original interview was cancelled the day before and rescheduled for a couple of days later due to some weather complications in NYC at the beginning of January. When the first interview happened, I felt like it was overall a good experience. I met with two planning managers who spoke about their respective teams and asked what kind of opportunities I was interested in for my next career. I had one case-study, specific to the role I applied for. I was then asked back for a second-round, the following week. During this interview I met with three people, two planning team members and a buyer (whom the planners work closely with). These interviews were focused a great deal on "why One Kings Lane?" and also questions on prioritization and specifics to the planning role (including another case-study). I also got a tour around the office. They give the generic "you'll hear back in one week" but after more than two weeks someone reached out indicating that they'd like me to come into the office for one more round of interviews. This interview was with two even higher-up individuals on the planning side. These were more targeted about what work I did in the past would be applicable to the role at One Kings Lane and where I wanted my career to go. As I left I was told that I would hear from someone by the end of the day or in the very most, by the end of the week. Unfortunately, I did not hear anything for a few weeks. At this time I reached out to the person who helped schedule my interviews. After a week of no response, I reached out to another HR representative who I spoke with first. I never received any response from this individual either and after almost 6 or 8 weeks of not hearing anything from anyone, I decided to check Jobvite on a whim, in which my status was changed from "In Process" to "Not Selected." By the end of the process, I got the vibe I was not a fit for the role, but after being brought in to the office on three separate occasions it would have been nice to have received any sort of email indicating that information.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Vendor Account Manager Interview

Vendor Account Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at One Kings Lane.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview and the next week was invited for an onsite where I met with 3 people. A few weeks later I was told that they filled the position internally but wanted me to come in for another onsite interview for the same role on a different team. I had a 3 hour interview with 5 people. I found out the week following that they weren't moving forward with my application. The whole process was nearly two months and I thought it was nice that they called to let me know versus an email. They asked a lot about 'why one kings lane?' and some situational questions. Overall seemed pretty easy and I thought I was the perfect fit. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get much feedback on why I wasn't. It seems like a great place to work and everyone I talked to was super nice and easy to have a conversation with.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you received difficult criticism and how you handled it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at One Kings Lane in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter in a week to set up a phone interview. Needed rescheduling, so contacted the HR later, but didn't respond till my 3rd email.

The interviewer was nice. It was a phone conversation about my projects and skills, followed by a 20 minute coding exercise on Stypi. The questions were easy, but received no response after the interview from the interviewer or the HR. Had to call the HR to find out about the reject!

Interview Question – 1) Write a swap() function (in place) in Java.
2) What data structure would you use for autocomplete to return all possible words to user after he has entered 3 letters?
  Answer Question

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Assistant Category Manager

I applied online and interviewed at One Kings Lane.

Interview Details – The HR team in New York was disorganized and needed to reschedule my phone interview multiple times with no notice, however, the in-person interview in LA was very professional.

Interview Question – What would you suggest for a new weekly sale theme?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at One Kings Lane in February 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was over the phone with HR. The representative went over a brief overview of the job description, following with questions about my previous job experience and background. Shortly after the interview I was sent an example of a customer inquiry I was instructed to carefully review and answer the question acting as an OKL representative. A few days later I was contacted to schedule an onsite interview with 4 separate managers that lasted aprox 2hours.

Interview Question – The sample customer inquiry email response after my initial interview on the phone.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

Interviewed at One Kings Lane

Interview Details – My interview process was coordinated through an external agency and through the company. Both parties did an excellent job providing timely information about my meetings and the people I would be meeting with. The process took a little more than a month and was seamless. I interviewed with about 8 people and all of them came prepared and asked excellent questions.

Interview Question – Without divulging details, the interviewer asked me how I would handle a current issue/situation that was happening at the company. I appreciated the question, and appreciated even more that the names/issues were kept anonymous.   View Answer

Buyer Interview

Buyer
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at One Kings Lane in April 2012.

Interview Details – HR was very disorganized and misinformed

Interview Question – Why One Kings Lane?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Things were offered a second time as if they were compromising new offers and verbal offers did not match written ones.

- Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at One Kings Lane.

Interview Details – I applied for a senior position at OKL, and was immediately contacted for an interview. That was the only good thing about the interview procedure. On the day of the interview, I got an email 15 minutes before the scheduled time asking me to postphone it. I was ok doing that and we scheduled the interview for another day. Same thing happened, and then I was asked to give them the date/time that worked for me. I didn't hear back from the recruiting manager for another 5 days and then she emailed again apologizing and asking to reschedule. Again, a few minutes before the interview, she emailed asking if she can delay it.
I'm not sure if I'm interetsed in this anymore. Seems like a great place to work, but the HR isn't professional enough to at least call the time of the interview and ask if they can delay/postphone it. It might be an HR technique, because I've seen it happen before, but OKL took it a few notches above the rest.

Interviews for Top Jobs at One Kings Lane

Worked for One Kings Lane? Contribute to the Community!