One Kings Lane

Updated Dec 14, 2014

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at One Kings Lane in December 2014.

Was contacted and asked to setup a phone interview. Was notified a half hour prior to the interview that it had to be rescheduled for the next day.
    When we finally spoke, the interview was very pleasant, we chatted about my work history and my experience. The interviewer and I both agreed that I had ample experience doing very similar work in the past.

Intern Interview

Pretty standard. Interviewing with recruiter, a few technical phone screens and final round. Regular data structures, algorithms and product. Process is pretty quick and you hear back quickly after each round. Know the product well and have an opinion on how and why certain things are the way they are on the website and how you could possibly improve it.

NY Office Interview

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at One Kings Lane.

The interview process was fairly involved with three rounds of interviews and a few case studies. I was offered the position in New York City and quit an amazing job on the west coast, moved to NYC, signed a lease, and as soon as I was settled, they RENEGED on their offer. This was just before they laid off 20% of their employees. I'm fairly displeased as OKL wouldn't assist with any type of moving costs and I was not eligible for unemployment in NY state.

It was pretty much a disaster I was put through thanks to OKL. I'd stay far away from this company if that's how they treat their (almost) employees. It wasn't so much as the fact they rescinded the offer, but the way I was treated through the whole ordeal that was a serious problem.

Interview Questions
    • "We don't have the budget to support an additional Planning Analyst"   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at One Kings Lane in June 2014.

Contacted the recruiter through LinkedIn and got the interview call. I had 2 phone screens in which I was asked fairly simple questions such as why QA and why not Software Developer and some other questions such as how would you employ testing a website. After that I was called for 3 hour onsite interview in which I had 3 technical rounds of 45 minutes each, 1 other round with the team lead who told me what was expected from me for the position for about 10-15 minutes and the last was with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked 2 sql queries to solve.
      Q1. Given a Employee table that contains DOB, how will I determine the employees who are 30 years or more old.
      Q2. It was fairly easy. Something related to inner join.

The programming questions were
      Q1. Given an unsorted array from numbers 1 to N where 1 number is missing, how will I find that element with one single iteration.
      Q2. How will I determine if the given BST is balanced or not.
      Q3. I don't remember it exactly but it was easy/moderate level question.

Answer Question

It was Quality Engineer role and I got Software Engineer role in other company, that's why I declined the offer.

Vendor Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at One Kings Lane.

Had an initial phone interview and the next week was invited for an onsite where I met with 3 people. A few weeks later I was told that they filled the position internally but wanted me to come in for another onsite interview for the same role on a different team. I had a 3 hour interview with 5 people. I found out the week following that they weren't moving forward with my application. The whole process was nearly two months and I thought it was nice that they called to let me know versus an email. They asked a lot about 'why one kings lane?' and some situational questions. Overall seemed pretty easy and I thought I was the perfect fit. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get much feedback on why I wasn't. It seems like a great place to work and everyone I talked to was super nice and easy to have a conversation with.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received difficult criticism and how you handled it   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at One Kings Lane in April 2014.

I applied through a recruiter and promptly got a phone interview.

During the first call I was set up with an engineer for a one hour phone interview. She asked me a mix of javascript-based algorithmic questions and general knowledge about web development (such as what happens when you type a url into a browser?).

I didn't hear hear back for about 2 weeks when I was contacted for a second technical interview. During this call another engineer asked me questions about CSS (box model) closures and prototype.

The internal HR staff that helped set up the interviews were very nice and responsive with all their emails, but unfortunately I can't say I had such a good experience with the technical interviewers.

While both engineers seemed relaxed and polite, they were also pretty condescending in the ways they responded to questions and made off-handed comments.

Interview Questions
    • Create a function for computing the nth fibonacci number then make it as performant as possible.   Answer Question

Assistant Category Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at One Kings Lane.

The HR team in New York was disorganized and needed to reschedule my phone interview multiple times with no notice, however, the in-person interview in LA was very professional.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at One Kings Lane in March 2014.

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter in a week to set up a phone interview. Needed rescheduling, so contacted the HR later, but didn't respond till my 3rd email.

The interviewer was nice. It was a phone conversation about my projects and skills, followed by a 20 minute coding exercise on Stypi. The questions were easy, but received no response after the interview from the interviewer or the HR. Had to call the HR to find out about the reject!

Interview Questions
    • 1) Write a swap() function (in place) in Java.
      2) What data structure would you use for autocomplete to return all possible words to user after he has entered 3 letters?

Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at One Kings Lane in February 2014.

First interview was over the phone with HR. The representative went over a brief overview of the job description, following with questions about my previous job experience and background. Shortly after the interview I was sent an example of a customer inquiry I was instructed to carefully review and answer the question acting as an OKL representative. A few days later I was contacted to schedule an onsite interview with 4 separate managers that lasted aprox 2hours.

Interview Questions
    • The sample customer inquiry email response after my initial interview on the phone.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

My interview process was coordinated through an external agency and through the company. Both parties did an excellent job providing timely information about my meetings and the people I would be meeting with. The process took a little more than a month and was seamless. I interviewed with about 8 people and all of them came prepared and asked excellent questions.

Interview Questions
    • Without divulging details, the interviewer asked me how I would handle a current issue/situation that was happening at the company. I appreciated the question, and appreciated even more that the names/issues were kept anonymous.   View Answer