One Legacy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Information Technology Manager Interview

Information Technology Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at One Legacy in March 2011.

Interview Details – This is a strange organization. Particularly as a non-profit, they appear to possess an extremely high ego, and demonstrate that 'outsiders" (applicants, non-employees) cannot possibly be of the same mission-driven caliber as they. Too busy protecting their internal domain, than to seriously consider any real talent presented to them, their business challenges go unaddressed -- apparently these are too important for anyone else to resolve.
Initially I was introduced to them by an external recruiter who had presented multiple applicants. OL rejected one after the other, until finally appearing to accept one, perform background check, etc; and then never followed up. They ended up firing the recruiter after she diplomatically advised that they were unreasonable in their expectations, including wanting a high-level, business-minded IT Director who could also be a complete backup for any number of technicians.

I later responded directly to an ad they ran. Surprisingly, I was called in quickly for an in-person interview (no phone screening.) I met with the hiring manager -- holder of three (3) principle titles. I was seated at his desk in a chair, adjusted noticable lower than his. He was distracted by phone calls which he accepted; and offered no apology to me. He began the interview and simultaneously scanned and studied my resume, as if not seeing if before.

Nonetheless, he appeared interested; even arranging later that day for an interview with a peer manager to occur the next business day!

I met with the peer manager as scheduled. This was quite a condescending experience. This manager was arrogant and more interested in my qualifications addressing his issues, rather than my primary functions in a liaison role with his responsibilities. He went on to indicate that “they received numerous resumes, and they must select the most qualified candidate.” Really? I never realized that was the recruiting and hiring objective. After fishing a bit, I was finally able to crack him, whereby he virtually admitted that the hiring manager was probably on an unrealistic quest, but that it would be his hiring decision. Despite this manager’s ‘embarrassment’ of their inferior technical systems and capabilities (his words), he seemed well trained in the prevailing self-righteous, high superiority culture. He did however in the process, tell of the low level of customer service and general 9 to 5 attitude of the internal staff – completely contrary to the story I was being sold.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself...   Answer Question
  • Specific experience on a technical level regarding Outlook, Sharepoint, other business applications/technologies/hardware.   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Clerk

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at One Legacy in March 2010.

Interview Details – First contact via email to setup a phone interview. The phone interview was conducted by 2 or more people, 1 from HR, and 2 from the hiring department. HR asked question about employment history while the department staff asked work related questions. If doing well, an in person interview is schedule later within a few weeks. It takes a few more week to receive a final communication from the company

Interview Question – Scenario question about solving clerical error that no claim responsibility.   Answer Question

Worked for One Legacy? Contribute to the Community!