One Medical Group

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at One Medical Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – I found the ad on CL. The application involved a somewhat long list of written questions. My responses scored me a phone screen. I was very nervous, but it was not bad at all. The interviewer was friendly and wanted to know standard info about my background and goals, and why One Medical. This went well and I was invited in for a group interview. This had several parts: I remember a dry run with the software that felt like a test of how fast I could pick it up, and a mock interview- again, feeling like I did well because I knew about the company and what they do. The next and last step was a "one day" where you do rotations in different areas like the front desk, answering the phones...and I don't remember what else. The last part was a friendly chat over lunch (on them of course). The one day inteview was compensated with $100 gift card since it takes so long.

Interview Question – The whole interview kind of caught me off guard because it was so informal and pleasant. I kept expecting someone stern to sit me down and grill me like most other interviews I'd been to.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The hourly wage was posted in the ad and I was informed that raises are given every 6 months. The benefits were clearly laid out. No negotiation.

Interviewed at One Medical Group

Interview Details – First, there was a brief phone interview. Basic questions about yourself and the company. Next, they bring you in for an all day interview with the team. You get to shadow team members as they go about their daily tasks. After 3-4 hours, one of the team members will take you out to lunch as you end the interview process. Fairly painful.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at One Medical Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online, I got a 30 minute phone screen. I did well on the phone screen and was invited for an in-person interview. I met with 3 of the hiring managers, each interview was about 30-45 mins long. The first two asked the same type of questions. For example, "when is it okay to bend the rules?" "tell me a time when someone was mad at you?" "What have you failed at?" "Did you implement a new system to your old job that is currently still in use." The last hiring manager showed me the booking appointment software and walked me through it. Then we did a role play where she was a paint calling me to schedule an appointment. After that she gave me a sheet of paper with 3-4 questions regarding a fax that was sent to them about a patient. The questions were: "what is this about, what's the next step."

Was emailed about 8 days later with no offer.

Interview Question – "tell me a joke"
"you have to fill up a school bus with ping pong balls, how do you do it?"
  Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative

I applied online - interviewed at One Medical Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – I received an email requesting phone interview the same week I applied through the company's website.
I was interviewed separately by 3 different people. I wasn't asked about anything on my resume. And some kind of rubric was in front of each interviewer but notes weren't taken. The first interviewer was dressed business casual and enthusiastic. The 2nd and 3rd we're not dressed professionally and seemed tired. A simulation to book appointment by phone was done with 3rd interviewer. None of them told me more about the company or the role of position.
The 4th and final person provided questionnaire asking about administrative role. She started by asking if I had questions for her which was great! She told me about company, the role and what they were looking for. She was dressed professionally and enthusiastic. I was at their office more than an hour. Overall, it was a waste of time. Do not waste your time applying and interviewing with this company!

Interview Question – Explain a situation when your idea didn't work.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online - interviewed at One Medical Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – Went through a phone screening process, a interview involving role-play and reiteration of phone screen with two other managers, and also a one-day work interview process. After the extensive process, I did not get a job offer.

Interview Question – How do you define customer service?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at One Medical Group in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process includes a written application with short answer questions, resume, and cover letter. If the application is worthy, you get a phone screen. If you do well on the phone screen, you get invited to an interview. The interview includes an introduction to a One Medical interaction with a prospective patient and a brief lesson in the software, plus a traditional style question-answer portion. If you do well, the last part is a background check (credit, criminal, dmv) and a 1Day interview where you get to try the job on for a day. You meet the team and get to see if you'll like doing the job.

Interview Question – "Tell us about a time that you failed at something"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation applicable for benefits or compensation, it's an entry level job with lots of opportunity for growth.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at One Medical Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – Found ad on craigslist seeking Administrative Assistant for a "unique medical practice". Responded and someone got in touch with me via email the same day. Was instructed to call for a phone screening. Phone screening was very to the point. Asked me to go over my previous experience and what specifically appealed to me about One Medical. Phone screening went well and scheduled an in-office interview.

Came in and spoke to the individual I had the phone screening with for about 20min. Very regular stuff - experience, goals, strengths/weaknesses, etc. For the next step I was told that they were going to teach me their process for setting up new appointments. They go through the process (very complicated and not intuitive). Then I was asked to perform the same process. I do, and at the end made a joke about how long the process takes. Was told flat out "oh - that's just a test to be sure you can follow directions". Had no problem being tested, just thought it was a bit strange that they approached it so clandestinely. Two more staff members came in. They spent most of the time telling me about One Medical. Spoke mostly about the social atmosphere, not specific details related to the position and asked me some more "eccentric" interview questions (at least from what I've encountered). One that sticks out was that I was told to tell them a funny story or joke.

Next I was scheduled to come in for a one-day interview. Given a $100 gift card in return. Day was broken up into hour long segments, with various other Admins. They had me performing regular duties at the front desk - which stuck me as very questionable. I was handling patient records/files and was not even a "real" employee. Also subjected to another secret "test". Was told I would be answering actual customer service phone calls for a period of time . First call that came through was from one of the other Admins that I had already met (could tell based on the voice and the information given). Was so caught off guard by this (wasn't sure if it was some sort of joke/initiation ritual) that I was a bit flustered and did not perform well.

They did treat me to lunch which was very nice, and everyone in the office was very warm and welcoming. Also got to meet a large number of staff members, which was a great way to get a good idea of the office culture.

Received a very brief email four days later saying that they had decided to "pursue other candidates".

All in all, it was a very thorough interview process, and the one-day interview is a great way to test out a position and really get a feel for the office culture. However, the "secret" tests really rubbed me the wrong way.

Interview Question – Tell me a funny story or joke (came totally out of the blue)   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at One Medical Group.

Interview Details – Applied on Craigslist, next was a phone screen and then an in-person interview with department and senior members. In-depth background check performed and skills test.

Interview Question – Timed excel skills   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate a higher base pay.

Manager, BI Interview

Manager, BI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at One Medical Group.

Interview Details – I applied for the job via LinkedIn - had not heard of One Medical before that, but was impressed with what they do. Within a couple of days, the VP of BI reached out to me to do a preliminary phone screen that lasted about 30 minutes. The phone screen was more of a conversation about your experience and the typical questions such as "Why One Medical?", "Why do you think you'll be a good fit?" etc.
About a week later I did two more phone interviews with two Directors that would be future colleagues. They asked more specific questions and really wanted specific examples of teamwork, challenges, and how you handled x, y, z. Another week passed and I was invited to go for the all-day final round in their office (they paid for all travel expenses and took me out for lunch).
The superday consisted of a series of 30-minute 1:1 interviews with various people that I'd be working with. Because the position required an understanding of both business and technical concepts, they grilled you about specific experiences and what you actually know. After lunch I had to give a 45-minute presentation. The VP wrapped things up by giving me three brainteaser-type of questions on a sheet of paper and gave me ~30 minutes to write my thoughts down. I then walked him through my thought process and some final casual discussion such as "so, what do you think about us?'"
Then the wait... It took them a while to make the final decision. They told me it was very close at the end and there were a lot of debates among the hiring team, but I did not have enough technical experience for the role. However, the entire experience was positive in general. The people were great and smart, and they seem to genuinely want to help change healthcare for the better.

Interview Question – nothing jumps out   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at One Medical Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – I found an ad for a management position through an alumni contact and within two weeks I had a phone interview with a woman that would be a future colleague. The questions were basic and covered the gamut of "how do I function in a team environment?" to "how do you think employees should be rewarded?". Subsequently, I had another phone interview with her boss who asked similar questions and even included a brain teaser question. A week later, an admin suggested a date three weeks in advance, for the final round interview to take place at one of their NYC offices. There, I had several one on ones with local team members, yet another phone interview, and a video conference panel interview with several employees back at HQ in San Fran. The day lasted from 10am to around 3pm, with no lunch break. All I was offered was water. LOL.

Nonetheless, it seems like a good organization for a young graduate to join as most employees were in their mid 20s to early 30s. They seem to promote from within as demonstrated by the career path of a former admin that had gained considerable clout within the organization. However, I don't think that seasoned professionals whose opinions differ from the party line would be welcomed.

Interview Question – "Which game would be better, game A with a 6 sided die with payments for rolling a even number at plus x or odd number with -y or game B with..."   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for One Medical Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at One Medical Group interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by One Medical Group employees and interview candidates.