Ooyala

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

This company is a joke. They are a start-up company with less than .5B in funding and they conduct interviews like they're better than google. I also found the quality of their employees to be crappy. Most of their employees are hard-working, but too dumb to actually start their own company, so they end up working for one. Most of the employees are a bunch of 30 year olds who never had the skillset to start their own company, so they decide to work for Oolaya. haha

Quality of people bad: a bunch of bald loser 30 year olds who don't know how to start their own business

Dec 1, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry you had a bad experience. Sounds like starting your own company may be the best option for you.

Senior Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala.

The interview process was very organized and communication was very prompt which I really appreciated. After my initial application I received an automated response within one day, and received a personal response within about 8 business days. I was invited for a telephone interview which occurred a few days later. The interview was cordial and friendly and focused on my experiences and how I might resolve some common and recurring issues within the department. I felt good about the interview and that the person understood and appreciated my strong skills. Both she and I agreed that while I could probably have learned the role, I did not currently have the applicable experience to the specific industry and may not be the perfect fit initially.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was how I would handle a technically specific question, as I did not have the particular background to the product in question, the big data and video analytics marketing industry.   View Answer

Oct 22, 2014Staffing manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to coming in and meeting with us and for the review on Glassdoor. Best of luck to you.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala.

Got a mail from the Technical recruiter the next day itself after applying to set up an interview with the team.
    The process is pretty lengthy & they entire company technical recruiters are confused as to what and how to deal with candidates
    Had multiple phones screens before inviting onsite.
    1. 1st technical phone screen.
    Basic algorithmic questions (Merge sort and question using HashMap)
    2. 2nd Tech Ph Screen
    Talk with the QA Lead. Just a general conversation. (The QA lead thinks that I have to work with QA team & Software Dev think that I have to work with the Development team. A complete chaos as to what my role is.)
    3. 3rd Ph screen with a Software Engg. A good interview with all solutions right and as per their expectations.
    However, due to their flanky process, I realized that they had already hired someone for the role & the technical recruiter rejected me by mentioning that the team reviewed my resume after the last round & did not find a suitable match.
    I knew the company was a joke after the 2nd ph screen as the team themselves dont know who to place where due to their stringent hiring process.

Oct 10, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry to hear the experience was less than excellent. I will share your feedback with the team and look for ways to improve the candidate experience. Best of luck to you and thank you for taking time ... More

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala.

2 phone screens randomly which were not that difficult at all. I cant believe not getting called for onsite after how well the phone screens went.
    Interview 1 - Question - String and repeat occurances of that string using a dictionary in python.
    Interview 2 - print the no of clustering 1's in a 2 d array . Discuss time and space complexity .
    I was very surprised I was not called onsite. That itself shows how flaky the interviewr process can be.

Sep 22, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the process/results. Good luck in your search.

Software Engineer - Test Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ooyala in August 2014.

Very bad interview experience. Do not waste time with this company. Absolutely no focus, nil co-ordination between interviewers and recruiters in providing correct feedback to applicants. The recruiters asked me to come onsite after 2 phone interviews and then did not contact me with the air tickets or itinerary or anything whatsoever. Later (after 2 to 3 weeks) they tell me they want another (a 4rth!) interview on phone as they are not yet sure if they want to fly me to Cal (from Chicago)! Even the phone interviews were very messed up. They had the same interviewer scheduled for the first 2 interviews and so asked me to give a 3rd interview with a different interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Usual software engineering interview questions. Not very hard.   Answer Question

Oct 7, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry there was some confusion in the process. We are always looking to improve. Your feedback will help us do just that.

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala in May 2014.

The interview process here was interesting. After applying I was contacted by an internal recruiting manager who promptly set up the first phone screen. After that, I spoke with the hiring manager and was then brought in for an in-person interview with 5 people.

After receiving positive feedback from the recruiter about the in-person interviews, they mentioned I would hear back in about a couple of weeks. After repeated follow ups with the recruiter and even following up with the hiring manager, there was no response. It is totally unprofessional to just ignore a candidate who they told had positive feedback from the team.

Overall, the experience has left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to the communication level the company provides to those who would like to work there.

Interview Questions
    • Being as technical questions for a non technical role.   Answer Question

Sep 22, 2014Staffing manager

Thanks you for the feedback. I will look into the communication breakdown. I hope all is well regardless.

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ooyala in March 2014.

I don't recall applying for this role but received an email from a recruiter to discuss further.
    Exchanged a few emails and spent an hour in a phone interview. He was pleasant.
    The following week I received a reject email for another role I did not apply to from a recruiter I did not know.
    I replied recruiting has me confused with another candidate and then received another reject email from the correct recruiter who interviewed me.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ooyala in January 2014.

Phone interview followed in-person
    Interview process was pretty straightforward. I got opportunity to talk to very smart people at Ooyala. Few people were not prepared and I was thrown random questions.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when things are going down and you are the only person who is onsite? what will be your approach?   View Answer

Apr 9, 2014Staffing manager

Thanks for the feedback. We are always looking to improve the interview process. Best of luck to you and keep in touch

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ooyala in January 2014.

Was contacted by one of their tech recruiters and she then went onto schedule me a HR interview. HR interview went fine and I was told that they would have three rounds of technical interviews. I was really impressed by the interview process as a whole because my recruiter was really prompt at getting back to me after each round.

After each round, she got back to me telling me that the interview went well. Finally after the three rounds of technical interview, I was told that she would get back to me soon. Later, the next day, my recruiter called me up and told me that they had decided to give me an offer.

More importantly, all the engineers who interviewed me were really nice and totally gave a positive outlook to the company.

Interview Questions
    • I believe that I must respect the company and its impressive interview process by not giving away explicit details about their interview questions. But either way, I certainly believe that if you have taken a good data-structures level course from a school with a good CS program, then you should probably be good to go.   Answer Question
    They gave me a good offer and overall the company had a very positive vibe to it. So I didn't really think twice before accepting the offer.

Apr 9, 2014Staffing manager

So excited to have you join us this summer! Happy to hear you enjoyed the interview process.

Mac Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala in May 2013.

I primarily support Macs in my current position so I set out on a job search for IT support positions that centered around Macs. Upon doing a search on Linkedin, I was given attention to the Mac Admin position at Ooyala. I applied on their website via Jobvite immediately.

I was contacted by the hiring manager the following week. The manager asked about the pros and cons of Casper and why they were moving on to that deployment solution after using open source software. He was especially interested in my Casper Administrator certification. He also warned me that Ooyala was a startup and 60 hour work weeks were the norm and how he would try to protect his staff from working on the weekends. I had some concerns about the commute but I was willing to pursue the position. I was invited to an onsite interview within three days.
    As soon as I arrived at their office, I was met by one of their HR recruiters who was very nice and offered me a beverage. For about three hours, I spoke to about six different members of the IT/Operations team and the hiring manager. Most of the staff hadn't been at Ooyala for that long. The questions weren't very difficult. The technical ones revolved around common troubleshooting or if I worked well on a team. I suppose the interviews were more to get a feel on me in a casual setting. I was offered lunch in the middle of the interviews. They have catered meals delivered daily. I left their offices feeling good about my chances of an offer. The recruiter was especially optimistic.

The following week I did not hear back from Ooyala. I wrote the recruiter for a update and he said he or the hiring manager would get back to me. A week almost passes and I finally give the hiring manager a call and leave a message. He emailed thereafter saying the team didn't think I was a good fit but I had a strong background and they would contact me if a position came up that suited my qualifications. That statement was sort of an oxymoron.

Apr 9, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry to hear the communication/decision was a bit delayed but thank you for the feedback. Glad to see you had a good visit. Best of luck to you in your search.