Ooyala Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

First, we are grouped on class room and gave six algorithm questions. They takes one week to review and then on site interview. I think they are very stress on the ability of creativity.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter screen, asking about the current job description, salary expectations etc,
    followed by a 1 hour technical phone screen with an engineer. Which lasted for about 45 minutes.
    I was then invited to a full day onsite, for around 5 hours..

Onsite had heavy emphasis on recursion and system design. Had to code on a mac for one of the interviews..Overall people were nice to talk to. Atmosphere seemed pleasant to me.

Here is the disappointing part. The recruiter called me the next day and said they were going to extend an offer. Our negotiations started, I did not hear back from them for a day, the day after that they send me an email saying the team no longer needs another engineer. I would have atleast appreciated a phone call to tell me that.

I spent a whole day talking to them, the process from recruiter screen to the onsite was around 3-4 weeks. They should have decided about open reqs before bringing candidates in. This is just not acceptable.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, shift all the zeros to the right of the array, without disrupting order of the non zero elements   Answer Question

Mar 30, 2015Global Saffing Director

So sorry for the change in plans. Unfortunately, headcount plans change (sometimes, right in the middle of interviewing). I will work with the team to improve the process. Feel free to reach out to ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

The phone interview started off with a technical question immediately. Very straightforward. After solving the question, you can ask the interviewee any questions about the company. The interview lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 17, 2015Staffing manager

Thank you for the review. Good luck in your job search

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

Initial communication took 2 weeks w/ a follow-up phone interview w/ the hiring manager and then a long on-site interview. Offer came quickly thereafter. The company definitely values knowledge and expertise in the space, but will make consolations depending on the talent they find on hand.

On a side note, definitely the best interview process I've even been a part of. HR and recruiting go a long way to ensuring a candidate is kept "hot" throughout and after they exit the process.

Interview Questions

• The on-site interviews are very diverse and will test you on product management process, design, data analysis, success criteria, requirements gathering, as well as behavioral tests and aptitude (clearly important with the top-end broadcasting clients they work with).   Answer Question

Feb 12, 2015Staffing manager

Thanks so much for the feedback. Welcome to Ooyala!

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone and on-site interview with good interviewers followed by silence.

HR / TA team is highly disrespectful of candidate’s time. Don't expect a courtesy email if they don't want to progress with you.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 30, 2015Global Saffing Director

Sorry to hear the team didn't connect with you. Feel free to email me directly if you want to talk further.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala in January 2015.

Interview

I had applied online.I was contacted by the recruiter for a telephonic interview.The recruiter was very accommodating and professional.The interview involved general questions regarding to my resume.Two easy coding questions.Reversing a sentence and another string manipulation question.Got an email a day later though wasnt a good fit for the position.

Feb 12, 2015Staffing manager

Sorry it ended up not being a fit. Best of luck in your search

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Overall I had a great interview session. Folks were very comfortable to talk with. I met with Engineers, managers, and product team. The engineers asked me technical questions and then I went on to speak with manager about management principles/styles. I was also able to learn a lot from the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Architect a system that will respond back encrypted URLs for a given uuid.   Answer Question

Mar 30, 2015Global Saffing Director

Welcome to Ooyala. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ooyala in November 2014.

Interview

Applied for engineering manager position and very quickly set up a call with one of the directors of engineering. Lots of questions about team management and he wanted everything to be qualified in distinct metrics. A metric for product success, a metric for personnel management, a metric for motivation and so on.. Sounds like the director had done a ton of leadership training and had become a manage-by-Excel-sheet kind of manager. Was told afterwards that I did not have enough experience, but would be considered for a different, lesser role. Another phone interview with someone who was completely unprepared and seemingly totally uninterested. Was told afterwards that I did not have enough experience, but would be considered for a mid-level engineering role. I did some research on the hiring manager for that role and found out I have more than twice the experience he has. I declined to interview for that role as I was, quite frankly, insulted. Overall the individuals I talked to came across as quite full of themselves and it left a bad impression of the company. What was odd was that I was not asked any technical questions whatsoever for any of the technical roles, so I wonder how they think they can judge experience and skill level accurately.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Feb 12, 2015Staffing manager

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with us. Your feedback will be shared with the team so we can improve the process. Best of luck in your search

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

The interview process was very organized and communication was very prompt which I really appreciated. After my initial application I received an automated response within one day, and received a personal response within about 8 business days. I was invited for a telephone interview which occurred a few days later. The interview was cordial and friendly and focused on my experiences and how I might resolve some common and recurring issues within the department. I felt good about the interview and that the person understood and appreciated my strong skills. Both she and I agreed that while I could probably have learned the role, I did not currently have the applicable experience to the specific industry and may not be the perfect fit initially.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was how I would handle a technically specific question, as I did not have the particular background to the product in question, the big data and video analytics marketing industry.   1 Answer

Oct 22, 2014Staffing manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to coming in and meeting with us and for the review on Glassdoor. Best of luck to you.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Got a mail from the Technical recruiter the next day itself after applying to set up an interview with the team.
    The process is pretty lengthy & they entire company technical recruiters are confused as to what and how to deal with candidates
    Had multiple phones screens before inviting onsite.
    1. 1st technical phone screen.
    Basic algorithmic questions (Merge sort and question using HashMap)
    2. 2nd Tech Ph Screen
    Talk with the QA Lead. Just a general conversation. (The QA lead thinks that I have to work with QA team & Software Dev think that I have to work with the Development team. A complete chaos as to what my role is.)
    3. 3rd Ph screen with a Software Engg. A good interview with all solutions right and as per their expectations.
    However, due to their flanky process, I realized that they had already hired someone for the role & the technical recruiter rejected me by mentioning that the team reviewed my resume after the last round & did not find a suitable match.
    I knew the company was a joke after the 2nd ph screen as the team themselves dont know who to place where due to their stringent hiring process.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Oct 10, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry to hear the experience was less than excellent. I will share your feedback with the team and look for ways to improve the candidate experience. Best of luck to you and thank you for taking time ... More