Ooyala Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

First, we are grouped on class room and gave six algorithm questions. They takes one week to review and then on site interview. I think they are very stress on the ability of creativity.

Other Interview Reviews for Ooyala

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter screen, asking about the current job description, salary expectations etc,
    followed by a 1 hour technical phone screen with an engineer. Which lasted for about 45 minutes.
    I was then invited to a full day onsite, for around 5 hours..

Onsite had heavy emphasis on recursion and system design. Had to code on a mac for one of the interviews..Overall people were nice to talk to. Atmosphere seemed pleasant to me.

Here is the disappointing part. The recruiter called me the next day and said they were going to extend an offer. Our negotiations started, I did not hear back from them for a day, the day after that they send me an email saying the team no longer needs another engineer. I would have atleast appreciated a phone call to tell me that.

I spent a whole day talking to them, the process from recruiter screen to the onsite was around 3-4 weeks. They should have decided about open reqs before bringing candidates in. This is just not acceptable.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, shift all the zeros to the right of the array, without disrupting order of the non zero elements   Answer Question

Mar 30, 2015Global Saffing Director

So sorry for the change in plans. Unfortunately, headcount plans change (sometimes, right in the middle of interviewing). I will work with the team to improve the process. Feel free to reach out to ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

The phone interview started off with a technical question immediately. Very straightforward. After solving the question, you can ask the interviewee any questions about the company. The interview lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 17, 2015Staffing manager

Thank you for the review. Good luck in your job search

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala in January 2015.

Interview

I had applied online.I was contacted by the recruiter for a telephonic interview.The recruiter was very accommodating and professional.The interview involved general questions regarding to my resume.Two easy coding questions.Reversing a sentence and another string manipulation question.Got an email a day later though wasnt a good fit for the position.

Feb 12, 2015Staffing manager

Sorry it ended up not being a fit. Best of luck in your search

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala in February 2013.

Interview

one hour technical interview. The questions are pretty easy, you can find all the interview questions in glass door. I finished two questions quickly, but I got the reply that even the feedback for the interview is good, they thought I am not match to their position.......

Interview Questions

• 1) given an array of strings, group the anagrams together.
      2) find the largest sub-array(Kadane's algortihm)

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Ooyala (San Jose, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

This is a technical interview. At first I talked about something about my previous project. And then the interviewer gave me a ten minutes description about what Ooyala does. After that I was asked two coding questions.The whole interview took 45 minutes. The interview is very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• given a string,which is filled with either "(" or ")", for example "(())()())", write a function to check if the string is "proper". A "proper" string means if there is a "(" in the string, there should be a ")" which corresponds to the "(" in the string. For example, "))()("   3 Answers
    • Given two integer arrays. Find the Largest Common sub array. For example,
      arr1 = {1,2,3,2,3,2} arr2={2,2,3,3,4,5}, the largest common sub array is {2,2,3,3}

8 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ooyala (Mountain View, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

The Recruiter has contacted me through LinkedIn and invited me for an informal visit on site, where he showed me the office in MV and introduced me to some employees. Since I had some technical questions about the technology they work on, I had a 1:1 Q&A with an engineer, who explained me some things about their architecture. After this office visit I applied with my CV and was invited for a technical interview. The interviewer was a senior software engineer. Though he is a very qualified person in his profession, I had the impression he saw my CV for the first time. He asked some questions about my projects and education, however there was literally no feedback/follow up questions from his side, which made it difficult to understand what he wants to hear about. I gave him an overview over my educational background, internships and projects and expected him to ask more specific questions, but he just went on with the technical part of the interview (whiteboard coding). After the technical part he asked me if I have any questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• Write a method which transforms an integer into a binary number, no libraries using (on a whiteboard).   4 Answers
    • Given an object hierarchy (like in JavaScript), write a function that returns the depth of an object in this tree which is passed to the function.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

interviewed at Ooyala (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

HR interview. Bad experience. Call me 15 mins later. No tech questions, seems they want to fill out a table about when graduate, what is your expectation of salary, projects ect

Apr 9, 2014Staffing manager

Sorry you had a bad experience. We try and have a call with a recruiter to make sure some the role/opportunity is a match. The 2nd call is with a SW Engineer and goes into a deep technical dive.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ooyala in April 2014.

Interview

My recruiter found me through my github account. I was contacted by email, we schedule a first phone call and then an online programming test, very easy. In my first tecnical phone interview I solved 2/3 problems. In my second interview I solved 3/3 problems. I was interviewew in it's offices in May 2014, in Mexico.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree (not a binary or binary search tree), create a function to convert the tree into an array, create another function that reconstruct the tree from the array. The running time and memory usage should be O(n).   1 Answer

Nov 3, 2014Staffing manager

Happy to hear the process went smoothly. Best of luck to you

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview

phone interview, two question. The first question is simple string question. The second is an interesting problem about DFS and BFS. The interviewer is very nice and patient. I learned a lot from this interview.