Ooyala

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Ooyala in February 2013.

Interview Details – one hour technical interview. The questions are pretty easy, you can find all the interview questions in glass door. I finished two questions quickly, but I got the reply that even the feedback for the interview is good, they thought I am not match to their position.......

Interview Question – 1) given an array of strings, group the anagrams together.
2) find the largest sub-array(Kadane's algortihm)
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Ooyala in January 2010.

Interview Details – HR interview. Bad experience. Call me 15 mins later. No tech questions, seems they want to fill out a table about when graduate, what is your expectation of salary, projects ect

Flag Interview

Ooyala Staffing manager responded to this review

Apr 9, 2014

Sorry you had a bad experience. We try and have a call with a recruiter to make sure some the role/opportunity is a match. The 2nd call is with a SW Engineer and goes into a deep technical dive.

Software Engineering Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ooyala in October 2010.

Interview Details – The Recruiter has contacted me through LinkedIn and invited me for an informal visit on site, where he showed me the office in MV and introduced me to some employees. Since I had some technical questions about the technology they work on, I had a 1:1 Q&A with an engineer, who explained me some things about their architecture. After this office visit I applied with my CV and was invited for a technical interview. The interviewer was a senior software engineer. Though he is a very qualified person in his profession, I had the impression he saw my CV for the first time. He asked some questions about my projects and education, however there was literally no feedback/follow up questions from his side, which made it difficult to understand what he wants to hear about. I gave him an overview over my educational background, internships and projects and expected him to ask more specific questions, but he just went on with the technical part of the interview (whiteboard coding). After the technical part he asked me if I have any questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• Write a method which transforms an integer into a binary number, no libraries using (on a whiteboard).   View Answers (4)
  • Given an object hierarchy (like in JavaScript), write a function that returns the depth of an object in this tree which is passed to the function.   View Answers (2)

San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Ooyala in November 2010.

Interview Details – This is a technical interview. At first I talked about something about my previous project. And then the interviewer gave me a ten minutes description about what Ooyala does. After that I was asked two coding questions.The whole interview took 45 minutes. The interview is very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• given a string,which is filled with either "(" or ")", for example "(())()())", write a function to check if the string is "proper". A "proper" string means if there is a "(" in the string, there should be a ")" which corresponds to the "(" in the string. For example, "))()("   View Answers (3)
  • Given two integer arrays. Find the Largest Common sub array. For example,
    arr1 = {1,2,3,2,3,2} arr2={2,2,3,3,4,5}, the largest common sub array is {2,2,3,3}
      View Answers (8)

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ooyala in April 2012.

Interview Details – They contacted me after a week that I apllied. HR is relly a kind person. Then they ask me to answer a skill test.

Interview Question – Write a method to recibe a String and to return the string processed as a palindrom.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview Details – phone interview, two question. The first question is simple string question. The second is an interesting problem about DFS and BFS. The interviewer is very nice and patient. I learned a lot from this interview.

Interview Question – New and interesting matrix question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ooyala in November 2012.

Interview Details – I have to admit that I actually enjoyed Ooyala's interview process. It was composed of 3 phone interviews and 1 visit to their office. Everything was extremely agile. Whenever I took and interview I received feedback at the next day. As long as you are doing good with the process they never leave you more than 2 days without contacting you with information regarding the next step.

The first phone interview was just a simple chat with one person of the HR staff. It was a friendly talk mainly discussing my resume, which I submitted days before. When i got to meet the girl that interviewed me I asked if she actually filters people with the first phone call. She said it's weird to do so but she does so without hesitation if someone sounds rude or arrogant as they don't want people to destroy the relaxed environment of the place. I believe just being humble will safely get you to the next steps.

The next 2 phone interviews were technical interviews. They give you a stypi link the day before your interview and the person that calls you is keeping and eye on what you are coding the entire time. You can ask anything during the interview and they will even give you some tips to get the right answer if they notice you start getting nervous. I felt this calls were more like a pair programming session than actual interviews.

For the last step they flew me to their HQ, they covered all the expenses. This last step is supposed to simulate a day at work at Ooyala. And in fact once I arrived it was time to work! They gave me 4 hours to implement a Tetris game.

They give you all the equipment you need. The computer they let you use comes prepared with almost every mainstream language and IDE available so you can work with anything that makes you feel comfortable.

One of the engineers visits you from time to time to check your progress and to solve any possible doubts. You work for 2 hours and then they invite you to have lunch with everyone. After that you get the remaining 2 hours to finish the job. They hand you a list with the key features you must complete so your game can qualify as good.

When the time is up 2 engineers evaluate your work. I think this is the most important part of the day since you have to explain them why you did everything the way you did and you need to convince them why it was a good idea to do so.

Once you are done you can relax and chill at the office until your transport picks you up. You are free to roam the office at will. You can take all the snacks and beverages you want. You can play Xbox, watch tv, chat with anyone, etc so in overall you are free to have an awesome time there.

After about 2 days of the last step they contacted me with an offer.

Interview Question – Given a massive dictionary with N words. Find and group all the words that are anagrams. This must be done in O(N).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to raise my starting salary by 10%.

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ooyala in November 2012.

Interview Details – Had a couple of phone interviews, pretty standard. The most interesting exercises are from the Programming Pearls book.

The most important thing is to know algorithm design and analysis. Just study your algorithms, and practice a lot.

Had a lot of fun at the interviews, the issue was that I was unprepared. Going to apply again soon!

Interview Question – Find the longest palindrome in a string   View Answer

Interviewed at Ooyala

Interview Details – Planning the interview was a little hit or miss. 3 rounds, HR phone screening (with someone who nevertheless was familiar with programming languages), phone programming interview, then onsite.

I made it through the first two, didn't get invited to the third.

Interview Question – Find the k largest integers in an array of n integers. k = 4, array = 5 1 4 6 3 2 1, should return 5 4 6 3, in any order

Do so in O(n) time(Unstated, but expected). The warmup was with the range of the integers constrained to between 1-100. That's just a bin sort.

I gave a O(n log k) answer to the full problem, using heaps. The interviewer hinted it was a sorting variation, and I found it, but ran out of time to code it. The answer was a quick sort variation.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Ooyala.

Interview Details – I agree with the negative reviews below. Process is very long but at same time very badly designed. When you come onsite they will ask you to have project based interview and then in 4 hours you have to complete coding problem. After that you are asked to give a demo. Fun part starts now, they will ask 6 people coming to your computer where you will be asked to demo what you built. People will ask you, oh you didn't built that feature etc. while there is no specification page given. Also problem was so generic that during lunch everyone seems to know what I was asked. This could be embarrassing to some candidates as well since if for some reason you did not do that well in this part you will see some people making faces in front of you. Also not all people care to listen to you if they think that you have not done extremely well. In all I feel this interview process is super waste of time. Spending so much of time interviewing with them and at the end leaving such a bad taste is one of the worst interview experience ever.

My suggestion is do not waste lot of time on this company, it is not worth it. They think they are facebook or google but the truth is something else. There are tonnes of companies in bay area who can be better fit than this company.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Ooyala? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ooyala Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ooyala employees and interview candidates.