Open Systems International Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
20 interviews

Power Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medina, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in May 2014.

I had applied online and got a phone call from HR person regarding setting up phone interview with an Engineer. The phone interview was quick and effective. I was asked to explain about my internship. The engineer was convinced about my technical knowledge and did not ask any further technical questions. Later, I was scheduled for an onsite interview and all expenses were paid for. The onsite consisted of five 1:1 interviews. They had all technical and behavioral questions. I also had an IQ test and a technical test. Both were easy and doable. I got the offer within 5 days.

Interview Questions
    • Power Flow, State Estimation, Transmission and Distribution , Algorithms   Answer Question

I had to decline because I had a better offer.

Software Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medina, MN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Open Systems International in May 2013.

I first became aware of the position at my university's senior career fair. OSI, had by far, the most extensive screening process at the career fair. I first spoke to an HR rep, and then one of their engineers. A few weeks after the career fair I was contacted by the HR rep I had spoken to. I was then given a brief 15 minute phone interview. I then had another phone interview with the head of the software testing department. Both of these phone interviews were fairly laid back. After a few more weeks (which was a waiting period far longer than OSI said I should anticipate) I was once again contacted to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview as a fairly lengthy process. In all, I was at OSI for about four hours and interviewed with four different people. The interview began with a basic IQ test. The test was not difficult, but I have to say that it contributed to an increasing feeling of unease I got from the company. My impression of OSI after going through the interview process was not all together positive.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particularly difficult questions for this position, but an unexpected question was "If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Open Systems International in March 2013.

First met a recruiter at our University career fair and was contacted for a technical phone interview. The interviewer over the phone didn't seem too interested with problem solving as much as text book specific answers, and was sort of rude during the process. Some of the questions range from the basics to run time algorithms. Sort of hard to explain what they wanted for some of the questions that involved modifying code over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What are the different memory types used by a heap and a stack? I'm assuming he didn't mean what are the difference between these two data structures because the interviewer didn't like me explaining what they were or how they worked.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medina, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in January 2013.

I was first contacted by HR to set up a phone interview, then about a month later I was called for an on-site interview. They put me up in a hotel since I had to drive several hours to get to the interview. I first met with an HR Supervisor, who gave me a general overview of what to expect throughout the process. She was my main POC throughout the day. I then met with the head of HR, who gave me a good overview of what they do at OSI, and gave me a tour of the building. After that, I met with the VP of Engineering, then with a couple of his direct reports. I liked the fact that they kept me in one room and had the interviewers rotate in and out. I also liked that the HR Supervisor came in after each interview to see how I was doing, ask if I needed a break, etc. Overall, I felt it was a very positive interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was given an IQ/Personality test at the end of the interview that I was not expecting.   Answer Question

I really wanted to take this job since it was a perfect fit for me, but in the end, they were unable to match my current salary, and I would have had to pay a significant amount of money out of pocket to re-locate.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Open Systems International in May 2008.

Phone call from HR
    Phone call from one of the managers
    On site interview: usually you get to meet all the managers and some team leaders
    at the end, you will have to finish a IQ test

Interview Questions
    If you are fresh out of college, you don't even get to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in April 2011.

After submitting my resume, I was contacted to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a number of technical questions, most of which I was familiar with, some of which I was not. The questions during the phone interview were mostly generic programming questions and some questions about code compilation and operating systems.

I was then contacted again and scheduled for an on-site interview which took place about 2 weeks later. The on-site interview consisted of an intelligence/IQ test, a programming test, and several 1 on 1 interviews with both HR and technical personnel. The programming test was a difficult one, but was clearly designed to test my knowledge. The 1 on 1 interviews consisted of a building tour, generic questions about past education/work, and one on-the-fly problem solving interview where I had to solve several programming problems on a white board.

The interview lasted about 4 hours, and was a bit more difficult than most other interviews I have had, but was a good experience over all. I received a job offer within two weeks of the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to write a short text-parsing C function on the spot that counted the number of words separated by an underscore. The program had to account for underscores at the beginning and at the end of the string, and also account for back to back underscores.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase lasted about 2 weeks for me. OSI was fairly firm with their offer but was open to some negotiation, I obtained an offer from a different company during the negotiation period and was able to get them to raise the offer by about 2.5% and get reimbursement for moving expenses.

Electrical Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

Interviewed May 2012 in Medina, MN (took 3 weeks)
    Went in to a job fair and dropped off an application, talked with the personal at the job fair about the company.

Got a phone call and an email requesting an interview for May 4th.

Went into the office, had about five back to back interviews with HR and other department managers.(Took about 4 1/2 hours with free soda)

They started off with a tour of the building and a very nice explanation of the business and their product(s)
    Each manager had a balance of asking questions and explaining aspects of working here. They allowed questions to be asked on any topics.

Finished off with a brief and simple IQ test.

Interview Questions
    • Be able to give background information of what you have did in the line of work that you are applying for.   View Answer
    I attempted to negotiate the amount per hour since I have long travel time. They did not give in although I had no paper trail of my knowledge base.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

OSI's interview process was straight forward and went quickly for me. Within a week of sending in a cover letter and resume, I was called about setting up a phone interview, which happened the following morning. The day after the phone interview was conducted, I was called about setting up an on-site interview. OSI was very accomodating and I set up my on-site interview for the following Friday, exactly a week later.

Although the interview process was long, about three and a half to four hours, I did not find it unpleasant in the least bit. I was first given a half hour test with I.Q. and personality type questions. After that, I interviewed 1 on 1 with around 6 people and was given a tour of the building. Everyone was very friendly and polite, and I never felt uncomfortable. All interviewers wanted to make sure all my questions were answered and each wanted me to understand OSI's business, products and goals. Having one long interview process eliminated the need to come back for a second on-site interview. This worked great with my situation because I lived 3 hours away at the time. The Wednesday following my on-site interview I was given an offer and I accepted it.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

I was interviewed on the phone. This interview was a little more than 30 minutes. Then a month later, I was flown out to interview in person. This interview was with multiple individuals and the interviewing process took about 5 or 6 hours. I people were very professional and extremely nice. I enjoyed the entire process. I had to option to take this job with OSI or a job with another company, but I was persuaded to accept the job with OSI because of the great people.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

First met OSI representatives at our universities career fair. Had a 1:1 interview on campus the next day which led to scheduling a date where I could travel out to interview at the headquarters. I ended up driving down with two other students and we spent the night after the long drive (8hrs) in a hotel courtesy of OSI. The next day the interview began at 8 in the morning and consisted of meeting with about 5 different people, having interviews with each of them, lunch on site, a tour of the headquarters and finally a skills / IQ / personality test. All in all the on-site portion took about 6 hours. About 3 weeks after my visit I got a call notifying me of the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall many particular questions, the interview process was more along the lines of many discussions about different topics, technical and of personal experience.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my offer with HR to tailor it to suit my needs. After we got on the same page of what I was asking for they came back with another offer that worked out perfectly.

Worked for Open Systems International? Contribute to the Community!