Open Systems International

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

Power Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Open Systems International in May 2014.

I had applied online and got a phone call from HR person regarding setting up phone interview with an Engineer. The phone interview was quick and effective. I was asked to explain about my internship. The engineer was convinced about my technical knowledge and did not ask any further technical questions. Later, I was scheduled for an onsite interview and all expenses were paid for. The onsite consisted of five 1:1 interviews. They had all technical and behavioral questions. I also had an IQ test and a technical test. Both were easy and doable. I got the offer within 5 days.

Interview Questions
    • Power Flow, State Estimation, Transmission and Distribution , Algorithms   Answer Question

I had to decline because I had a better offer.

Software Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Open Systems International in May 2013.

I first became aware of the position at my university's senior career fair. OSI, had by far, the most extensive screening process at the career fair. I first spoke to an HR rep, and then one of their engineers. A few weeks after the career fair I was contacted by the HR rep I had spoken to. I was then given a brief 15 minute phone interview. I then had another phone interview with the head of the software testing department. Both of these phone interviews were fairly laid back. After a few more weeks (which was a waiting period far longer than OSI said I should anticipate) I was once again contacted to schedule an onsite interview. The onsite interview as a fairly lengthy process. In all, I was at OSI for about four hours and interviewed with four different people. The interview began with a basic IQ test. The test was not difficult, but I have to say that it contributed to an increasing feeling of unease I got from the company. My impression of OSI after going through the interview process was not all together positive.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particularly difficult questions for this position, but an unexpected question was "If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Open Systems International in March 2013.

First met a recruiter at our University career fair and was contacted for a technical phone interview. The interviewer over the phone didn't seem too interested with problem solving as much as text book specific answers, and was sort of rude during the process. Some of the questions range from the basics to run time algorithms. Sort of hard to explain what they wanted for some of the questions that involved modifying code over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What are the different memory types used by a heap and a stack? I'm assuming he didn't mean what are the difference between these two data structures because the interviewer didn't like me explaining what they were or how they worked.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Open Systems International in January 2013.

I was first contacted by HR to set up a phone interview, then about a month later I was called for an on-site interview. They put me up in a hotel since I had to drive several hours to get to the interview. I first met with an HR Supervisor, who gave me a general overview of what to expect throughout the process. She was my main POC throughout the day. I then met with the head of HR, who gave me a good overview of what they do at OSI, and gave me a tour of the building. After that, I met with the VP of Engineering, then with a couple of his direct reports. I liked the fact that they kept me in one room and had the interviewers rotate in and out. I also liked that the HR Supervisor came in after each interview to see how I was doing, ask if I needed a break, etc. Overall, I felt it was a very positive interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was given an IQ/Personality test at the end of the interview that I was not expecting.   Answer Question

I really wanted to take this job since it was a perfect fit for me, but in the end, they were unable to match my current salary, and I would have had to pay a significant amount of money out of pocket to re-locate.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

I was interviewed on the phone. This interview was a little more than 30 minutes. Then a month later, I was flown out to interview in person. This interview was with multiple individuals and the interviewing process took about 5 or 6 hours. I people were very professional and extremely nice. I enjoyed the entire process. I had to option to take this job with OSI or a job with another company, but I was persuaded to accept the job with OSI because of the great people.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

I applied online for a Project Manager position, and received a phone call to set up the first phone interview within one to two weeks of application submission. The first phone interview was a high level overview of my past work experiences and my educational background.

The second phone interviewer was trying to get to know how I would fit into the organization. What skills did I currently have that would transfer to OSI, specifically in my role?

OSI paid for my flight to my on-site interview and was extremely accommodating. I went through a series of one-on-one interviews with numerous VPs in the company, as well as my direct supervisor and HR. Although it was a bit intimidating at first, it really helped me to learn more about the company, and the people that make it what it is.

There was a written portion of the interview, which I wasn't necessarily prepared for. HR reassured me that it was just one piece of the puzzle, and it wouldn't make or break my candidacy. I suggest looking over a few logical puzzles and work problems before your interview, and refresh your basic math skills. The written section concluded with both traditional and nontraditional interview questions.

Overall, I was very pleased with the interview process. It gave me a good idea about what working at OSI would really be like.

*As a side note, the process took around three months for me, not because of OSI's processes, but due to my previous commitments.

Interview Questions
    • What IS business?   View Answer
    • The questions were not the typical "tell me your strengths and weaknesses." It was more applications of skills and stories to explain situations.   Answer Question
    As far as I am aware, OSI isn't very big on negotiating contracts due to their extensive industry reasearch. There are also numerous bonuses offered throughout the year, to keep you motivated!

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

Went in to a job fair and dropped off an application.
    Got a phone call and a brief, non technical interview.
    Scheduled for an In person interview.
    They started off with a tour of the building and a very nice explanation of the business and their product(s)
    Finished off with a brief and simple IQ test.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about your background and how it can help you succeed here.   Answer Question
    • Be prepared to market yourself as a successful individual with potential.   Answer Question
    If salary is important to you, then voice it. Don't blame the company for not meeting your needs if you haven't expressed them. Also, give clear reasons for how you deemed your self worth, don't expect certain pay based on industry averages.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

First met OSI representatives at our universities career fair. Had a 1:1 interview on campus the next day which led to scheduling a date where I could travel out to interview at the headquarters. I ended up driving down with two other students and we spent the night after the long drive (8hrs) in a hotel courtesy of OSI. The next day the interview began at 8 in the morning and consisted of meeting with about 5 different people, having interviews with each of them, lunch on site, a tour of the headquarters and finally a skills / IQ / personality test. All in all the on-site portion took about 6 hours. About 3 weeks after my visit I got a call notifying me of the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall many particular questions, the interview process was more along the lines of many discussions about different topics, technical and of personal experience.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my offer with HR to tailor it to suit my needs. After we got on the same page of what I was asking for they came back with another offer that worked out perfectly.

Electrical Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

Interviewed May 2012 in Medina, MN (took 3 weeks)
    Went in to a job fair and dropped off an application, talked with the personal at the job fair about the company.

Got a phone call and an email requesting an interview for May 4th.

Went into the office, had about five back to back interviews with HR and other department managers.(Took about 4 1/2 hours with free soda)

Each manager had a balance of asking questions and explaining aspects of working here. They allowed questions to be asked on any topics.

Finished off with a brief and simple IQ test.

Interview Questions
    • Be able to give background information of what you have did in the line of work that you are applying for.   View Answer
    I attempted to negotiate the amount per hour since I have long travel time. They did not give in although I had no paper trail of my knowledge base.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medina, MN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Open Systems International in March 2012.

OSI's interview process was straight forward and went quickly for me. Within a week of sending in a cover letter and resume, I was called about setting up a phone interview, which happened the following morning. The day after the phone interview was conducted, I was called about setting up an on-site interview. OSI was very accomodating and I set up my on-site interview for the following Friday, exactly a week later.

Although the interview process was long, about three and a half to four hours, I did not find it unpleasant in the least bit. I was first given a half hour test with I.Q. and personality type questions. After that, I interviewed 1 on 1 with around 6 people and was given a tour of the building. Everyone was very friendly and polite, and I never felt uncomfortable. All interviewers wanted to make sure all my questions were answered and each wanted me to understand OSI's business, products and goals. Having one long interview process eliminated the need to come back for a second on-site interview. This worked great with my situation because I lived 3 hours away at the time. The Wednesday following my on-site interview I was given an offer and I accepted it.