OpenDNS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Social Media Coordinator Interview

Social Media Coordinator
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OpenDNS.

Interview Details – 1. I did a phone interview with the recruiter and they were awesome! The recruiter was nice, on top of things, asked good questions, and made the overall initial interview pleasant.

2. Next I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was absolutely HORRIBLE! The hiring manager was impatient, quick to dismiss, and belittling. They told me that they were looking for a more seasoned candidate and then asked the question why OpenDNS should consider me.

Are you kidding? If you already have a more seasoned candidate who's further along the interview process lifecycle, then why are you wasting MY time, YOUR time, and the COMPANY'S time?!

Furthermore, all of the suggestions for new social programs and process that I suggested were so forward thinking that the manager asked me to email them the ideas. This goes to show that my skills/expertise were sought after, and I would have made the manager look like an inexperienced dud.

Overall, the recruiter was awesome and the hiring manager was a nightmare. I'm glad the hiring manager revealed their true colors. Just like they are interviewing me, I'm interviewing them as a potential employer. Who would want to have a manager who's impatient and belittling? It goes to show you that just like big corporations, this "start-up" is more worried about looking good instead of being disruptive and innovative.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Senior Systems Administrator
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OpenDNS in November 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communications was the the recruiter. After that call I spoke with another Senior System Administrator and the Director of Operations. I then took a practical system administration test (virtual machine server with broken packages and configuration that needed fixing). Upon successful completion of the VM test I had 4 hours of in-person interviews in the San Francisco office. Finally I spoke with the CEO.

Interview Question – The majority of questions asked involved previous experience. There were some that really dug into my knowledge and skills. Specifically there was a question regarding swapping the integer values of two variables without using a third variable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't want to negotiate. The offer was solid and I was quite happy with it.

Desktop Support Specialist Interview

Desktop Support Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OpenDNS in August 2012.

Interview Details – Was called by junior recruiter. Spoke for 20-30 minutes. Got a call back within days and scheduled an in-person meet with 5 people from all different areas of the company.

Everyone was very courteous, professional, and seemed generally interested in me as a person and finding the right candidate. I even had a chance to speak with the CEO who was just as courteous and interested in me as a candidate.

Interview Question – Most were fairly straightforward. They did not ask any oddball questions like, "how much do you think this building weighs?" It was more about the position and my past experience.   Answer Question

Customer Support Representative Interview

Customer Support Representative
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OpenDNS in November 2011.

Interview Details – Somehow, I managed five separate interviews for this position: a phone screen with a recruiter, phone interviews with the manager and COO, respectively, an in-person interview with the aforementioned people, and another phone screen with the technical support engineer.

Interview Question – I'm going to have a hard time answering this question. I don't recall any specific interview questions that were extremely difficult or unexpected, but maybe that was because I took the time to know the company and the product before I began the interview process. For a position like this, I would recommend a) being familiar with the moving parts of the product and b) being able to show concrete technical, writing, and leadership skills.   Answer Question

Windows Software Developer Interview

Windows Software Developer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OpenDNS in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview with manager and developer. Asked broad basic questions about C++, C#.
2. Home assignment consisting of 3 coding problems and 1 open end question.
3. In person interview consisting of questions about your experience and short programming problem.

Interview Question – TCP vs. UDP. What data structure would you use to keep track of packets?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for OpenDNS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenDNS interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by OpenDNS employees and interview candidates.