OpenMarket Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

Interview process started with two phone screen interviews, followed by an on-site interview with seven people. Each of these was a 1:1 interview, with the exception of one 2:1 interview. Questions ranged from specific experience for handling emergencies to XML and SQL questions. There was also a lot of emphasis on how one would approach programmatic interface design. The entire on-site interview lasted about five hours and involved everyone from developers to the VP. Everyone was friendly, professional, and genuinely interesting to converse with. I was assigned a recruiter contact throughout the process who was very good at providing updates. While he could not specifically explain why I was not selected from the final three candidates but said that I would be considered for future positions. Over all I very much enjoyed the interview process and would consider a future position with OpenMarket.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through the process of designing a vending machine. What interfaces would you need to design?   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

The initial interview was a phone screen with the recruiter. The second interview was a phone screen with the hiring manager. Finally I was brought in for 4+ hours of interviews with about 8 different people. The overall interview process was fairly straight-forward. I did however have to constantly reach out to the recruiter to keep the process moving. My guess is he is just overworked and has a hard time staying on top of everything.

Interview Questions

• What about a Service Oriented Architecture makes Program Management harder/easier?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OpenMarket (Chiswick, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was split into several parts which were pretty standard:
    A phone interview, an initial face to face and a final face to face.
    The phone interview was there to allow me to get to know the role and the company more, as well as for the company to get a first impression of me. It was all very straightforward and aside a few little things, not much research was really required.
    The first face-to-face was in the office with two staff from the support team I would be working in, and there was around an hour spent assessing me on my technical and problem solving skills (expect around half an hour working through a problem with the interviewers, and a further half an hour talking about technical experience). The problems here were role-based i.e. networking, how you might deal with a difficult client, how you might go about solving technical issues you might encounter etc (don't worry about knowing a huge amount about telecoms - they will help you through).
    The final interview was also fairly technical, but there was also a lot of assessment into why I wanted to work here, and what I wanted to do with my career. It was with the same two support staff, as well as a director. The director himself set three generic problems for me to solve, but none were related to the role and he helped me through when I got stuck - it's more to see how you approach problems.
    After the interview I was taken on a walk around to see the office which was beautiful - if you can, go check out the view of London from the east wing.

Interview Questions

• There was a fair amount on networking and telecoms in the first interview, but they will help you through this as this role did not expect a huge amount of prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I went through a recruiter but they came back and beat the recruiter's offer without negotiation

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpenMarket (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I was approached directly by their own HR rather than a recruitment agency after they found my CV online, which was a nice touch and felt more personal than most.

Interview was friendly relaxed and contained a mix of discussion about the role/company and technical and problem solving questions. It was conducted by a senior developer and member of the team I was applying for.

After passing what must have been their initial vetting I was then introduced to the head of my department who asked few more personal and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the quickest way to count the number of unique words in a given book.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpenMarket in December 2011.

Interview

Internal Recruiter reaches out to you and does some screening work then sets up multiple phone interviews before bringing you into the office to meet all the "interim" directors. Seems that they had a lot of turnover or reshuffling of staff. Seemed very adhoc since their process seemed not as smooth as expected. At the end of the day, HR says, it does not seem that you are good fit since your experience does not meet the needs of the company. It bills itself as a mobile developer but it's more of a SMS/MMS company that does bulk text messaging over other businesses it advertises on their website. If you focus more on the "bulk sms/mms" over mobile application, you will be a better fit. As a mobile developer, you will not fit in at this time.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about developing a platform that focuses on sending massive amount of sms/mms?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about sending video MMS?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OpenMarket in June 2010.

Interview

good culture and good interviwer