OpenTable Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2014

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable.

Initial call from recruiter, then technical phone screen, then in person 4-5 people over 4-5 hours. Culture is apparently changing but still a lot of negativity in the air, most of the interviewers complained about something related to their job. A tour of the office told me everything I needed to know. They emailed the next day with a decline.

Interview Questions
    • Typical corporate questions, what are you passionate about? and other college-level CS questions (implement a binary search).   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable.

The hiring/ application process consisted of 1 phone interview and 2 Skype interviews. The interviews were about 30 minutes long each, and were one on one. The whole process took about 2 weeks?

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty straightforward. You should know how to use the basic office software and applications like Microsoft and Photoshop.   Answer Question

Restaurant Operations Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at OpenTable.

After initially being contacted by the recruiter I was left hanging for a bit. Once we finally got in contact the process went very quickly. I spoke to the recruiter, then was scheduled to speak to a manager the following day. 3 hours after that conversation I was invited to travel to the corporate office the following week for an in person interview. The interview was an hour and a half. I spoke to the manager and a senior manager. They were knowledgeable, courteous and obviously loved their job. While I was disappointed I was not offered the job I found the interview process exciting, thorough, and timely.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online - interviewed at OpenTable in February 2014.

Very disorganized. Had scheduled phone interview times with me, only to not have them show up at the appointed time-had to resend the confirmation email they had sent to me. Then after the interview finally takes place, they assign this "homework' that went to further my suspicion that they have no respect for anyone's time.

Interview Questions

This is a great first job.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable in January 2014.

Obtained interview through employee referral. First step was phone interview just covering standard questions. 2nd interview was also phone interview with hiring manager - focus of call was the position and what is necessary to be successful in the role, questions about background and how it relates to role. Third interview was with another manager on the team, similar questions to prior call, and nothing too out of the ordinary. Final step was interview with Director of group at OpenTable HQ. Again, relating how past fits in with the position, and a few situational questions. Results were found out about two weeks after - whole process taking approx 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How you would handle real examples of customer challenges.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6 months - interviewed at OpenTable.

They will contact you via phone and ask you whether or not you are familiar with the company and what your dining habits are. Do you book via opentable etc... after that you will have a in person meeting with an area manager, then you will meet with several people at the corporate office in san francisco.

Interview Questions
    • In some cases they will ask you to sell OpenTable to them in an interview so be prepared to have a sales pitch, and elevator pitch and a power point presentation.   Answer Question
    6 months negotiation phase, i received stock, and a higher base salary than they were offering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at OpenTable in September 2013.

Had an interview with a recruiter at the recruiting firm within 2 days of applying. She scheduled me to speak with the sales team managers the next week. Met with the sales managers and then the VP of Sales three weeks later. I was not given an offer and received a generic letter telling me they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Do you use OpenTable personally. I wasn't sure why that was important to me being able to do the job.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at OpenTable in August 2013.

Three phone interviews and then an offer. I did not have to fly in to SF for interview.

Interview Questions
    • They are looking for hunter, aggressive, challenger types. Filled out some silly questionnaire and took an online personality assessment. They didn't ask anything unusual, probably because they are the least creative people ever.   Answer Question
    Quick. I was made an offer and I accepted right away. I did try to negotiate because I figured it couldn't hurt, but it wasn't up for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at OpenTable in August 2013.

I was referred to this position by an OpenTable employee and was very excited about the opportunity to work for them. But, they need to hire a new Recruiting company. I first spoke to the recruiter and was emailed immediately that the Hiring Manager would be in touch with me. If I haven't heard anything in 2 days, to contact her. A week went by and nothing, so I emailed the recruiter and she was out of the office. The next day she emailed and then we spoke on the phone and she asked a few more questions and said the Hiring Manager needed me to revise my resume because they didn't understand it. (?) The recruiter then told me that it was her fault things were delayed because she had been out of the office and she would let the Hiring Managers know this. She also told me that I was the best candidate for this position. Well, again, days went by and nothing. I emailed the recruiter twice with no response. Then I get the thanks but no thanks from OpenTable. I replied asking why and the recruiter had thrown me under the bus saying I never responded to her and OpenTable had to move on. Needless to say this has put a very bad taste in my mouth. Why would anyone looking for a job not respond especially when the position seemed perfect for my background?!

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at OpenTable in July 2013.

I applied online after looking at OpenTable's website. The website was a bit buggy, as the link led me to a page where all the responsibilities, job name, etc. were blank. Nonetheless, I still registered an account and clicked the apply button. Instantly, I received an email saying my resume had been accepted by the recruitment firm that manages OpenTable's hiring efforts.

I received a call the next morning to set up a quick introductory phone interview about the role. The recruiter was friendly and said it would take 10-15 minutes. I scheduled the phone interview that afternoon and it ended up being almost an hour. She went in depth (so be prepared to provide concrete examples and answer follow up questions). She asked traditional questions and walked through my resume. The interview went from what I expected to be an initial screen to what seemed like a first round interview. It got a bit intense.

After her questions, she gave me some feedback about what she thought my strengths and weaknesses were. She then told me that she would be in touch by the end of the week along with the next steps. At the end, I was told that I was passed over for someone else after following up with her on Friday. The recruiter, however, did not explain why, although I assume it's because of the weaknesses and concerns she expressed during the phone interview. Overall, I thought it was a good experience, especially since she asked me to reach out to her about other positions at OpenTable if I was still interested.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that a manager or supervisor - current or past - would say is something that you must improve on?   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your writing skills? Why? If you proceed to the next interview, you will be expected to take a grammar and writing test.   Answer Question

Worked for OpenTable? Contribute to the Community!