OpenTable

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable.

I was allowed to skip the phone interview and come directly for an on-site interview. The technical interview went great, no issues with whiteboarding code, ended up with extra time to ask questions of the interviewing engineers. Their internal culture seems solid, although slowly transitioning from process-oriented old enterprise stack to a more agile, startup-y process. The nontechnical culture interviews with the Director of Engineering and the PM went really well. I was expecting a slam-dunk, so I was surprised when the recruiter contacted me and said they wanted me to do a take-home coding exercise to clear up some issues around an area of professional growth I'd disclosed in the interview.

It struck me as super unprofessional to schedule a full day for an interview, only to be told that they needed more information. At every other company they do take-home exercises before on-site interviews. If engineers have questions about something said during an on-site interview, then the appropriate time to ask about it is... during the interview! Please don't wait and make a candidate do additional work after a full day of interviewing.

I didn't feel like I'd be professionally respected if my hiring was such a squeaker that it required a post-onsite take-home assignment, so I just put in a few hours' of work and submitted it -- wasn't surprised when they rejected me, just insulted that they'd put someone through so much extra effort when we could have resolved these issues with a conversation during the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • "What's an area or skill where you feel weak or could learn more?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable.

Initial call from recruiter, then technical phone screen, then in person 4-5 people over 4-5 hours. Culture is apparently changing but still a lot of negativity in the air, most of the interviewers complained about something related to their job. A tour of the office told me everything I needed to know. They emailed the next day with a decline.

Interview Questions
    • Typical corporate questions, what are you passionate about? and other college-level CS questions (implement a binary search).   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable.

The hiring/ application process consisted of 1 phone interview and 2 Skype interviews. The interviews were about 30 minutes long each, and were one on one. The whole process took about 2 weeks?

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty straightforward. You should know how to use the basic office software and applications like Microsoft and Photoshop.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable in January 2014.

Obtained interview through employee referral. First step was phone interview just covering standard questions. 2nd interview was also phone interview with hiring manager - focus of call was the position and what is necessary to be successful in the role, questions about background and how it relates to role. Third interview was with another manager on the team, similar questions to prior call, and nothing too out of the ordinary. Final step was interview with Director of group at OpenTable HQ. Again, relating how past fits in with the position, and a few situational questions. Results were found out about two weeks after - whole process taking approx 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How you would handle real examples of customer challenges.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OpenTable in July 2013.

I applied online after looking at OpenTable's website. The website was a bit buggy, as the link led me to a page where all the responsibilities, job name, etc. were blank. Nonetheless, I still registered an account and clicked the apply button. Instantly, I received an email saying my resume had been accepted by the recruitment firm that manages OpenTable's hiring efforts.

I received a call the next morning to set up a quick introductory phone interview about the role. The recruiter was friendly and said it would take 10-15 minutes. I scheduled the phone interview that afternoon and it ended up being almost an hour. She went in depth (so be prepared to provide concrete examples and answer follow up questions). She asked traditional questions and walked through my resume. The interview went from what I expected to be an initial screen to what seemed like a first round interview. It got a bit intense.

After her questions, she gave me some feedback about what she thought my strengths and weaknesses were. She then told me that she would be in touch by the end of the week along with the next steps. At the end, I was told that I was passed over for someone else after following up with her on Friday. The recruiter, however, did not explain why, although I assume it's because of the weaknesses and concerns she expressed during the phone interview. Overall, I thought it was a good experience, especially since she asked me to reach out to her about other positions at OpenTable if I was still interested.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that a manager or supervisor - current or past - would say is something that you must improve on?   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your writing skills? Why? If you proceed to the next interview, you will be expected to take a grammar and writing test.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable in May 2013.

I appiled through linkedin and was contacted by recruiter, 30 mins phone interview, next had a phone interview with engineering manager, pretty simple. He decided to bring me for an on site interview, 4 one on one interviews with engineering manager, senior engineers and front end developers.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were based on basic CS algorithms.. Fibonacci, reverse a string, palindrome..   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OpenTable in December 2012.

HR contacted me, then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager (VP, Prod Man)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable in August 2012.

First round was a brief phone call, the second round was an in-person interview for 3 hours. I got a feeling that its one of the worst IT engineering places to work in the bay area. I just want to join the band of ppl at glassdoor who had horrid experience with the engineer aspect of this company. I would say even if you don't have a job don't go for the engineering team of this company, unless you wanna comprise and sacrifice your "SELF RESPECT"...thanks again glassdoor for letting me share my experience

Bad career option

Inside Sales Representative - Restaurant Development Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpenTable in June 2012.

Phone interview and in person interview in SF. Met with executive sales managers who were relaxed and asked questions to see the fit. After a week I received an offer via phone. It was a smooth process. The company doesn't follow typical interview process. They look at the past work experience in the restaurant industry either in the capacity of sales or operations.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OpenTable in April 2012.

Had one telephone interview. It was a pretty standard interview. I was asked about challenges I faced and how I dealt with them. I got the impression that this was a pretty conventional company.

Interview Questions
    • What's the biggest challenge you faced in a previous job and how did you deal with it?   View Answer