OpenTable

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable in January 2014.

Interview Details – Obtained interview through employee referral. First step was phone interview just covering standard questions. 2nd interview was also phone interview with hiring manager - focus of call was the position and what is necessary to be successful in the role, questions about background and how it relates to role. Third interview was with another manager on the team, similar questions to prior call, and nothing too out of the ordinary. Final step was interview with Director of group at OpenTable HQ. Again, relating how past fits in with the position, and a few situational questions. Results were found out about two weeks after - whole process taking approx 4 weeks.

Interview Question – How you would handle real examples of customer challenges.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at OpenTable in April 2012.

Interview Details – Had one telephone interview. It was a pretty standard interview. I was asked about challenges I faced and how I dealt with them. I got the impression that this was a pretty conventional company.

Interview Question – What's the biggest challenge you faced in a previous job and how did you deal with it?   View Answer

Area Sales Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at OpenTable in March 2009.

Interview Details – Recruiter screens then interview with sales manager. Next step company brings you to SF for panel of interviews

Interview Question – Questions not terribly difficult, waiting for hours between interviews was disappointing   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at OpenTable in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online after looking at OpenTable's website. The website was a bit buggy, as the link led me to a page where all the responsibilities, job name, etc. were blank. Nonetheless, I still registered an account and clicked the apply button. Instantly, I received an email saying my resume had been accepted by the recruitment firm that manages OpenTable's hiring efforts.

I received a call the next morning to set up a quick introductory phone interview about the role. The recruiter was friendly and said it would take 10-15 minutes. I scheduled the phone interview that afternoon and it ended up being almost an hour. She went in depth (so be prepared to provide concrete examples and answer follow up questions). She asked traditional questions and walked through my resume. The interview went from what I expected to be an initial screen to what seemed like a first round interview. It got a bit intense.

After her questions, she gave me some feedback about what she thought my strengths and weaknesses were. She then told me that she would be in touch by the end of the week along with the next steps. At the end, I was told that I was passed over for someone else after following up with her on Friday. The recruiter, however, did not explain why, although I assume it's because of the weaknesses and concerns she expressed during the phone interview. Overall, I thought it was a good experience, especially since she asked me to reach out to her about other positions at OpenTable if I was still interested.

Interview Questions

• What is something that a manager or supervisor - current or past - would say is something that you must improve on?   Answer Question
  • On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your writing skills? Why? If you proceed to the next interview, you will be expected to take a grammar and writing test.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable in May 2013.

Interview Details – I appiled through linkedin and was contacted by recruiter, 30 mins phone interview, next had a phone interview with engineering manager, pretty simple. He decided to bring me for an on site interview, 4 one on one interviews with engineering manager, senior engineers and front end developers.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were based on basic CS algorithms.. Fibonacci, reverse a string, palindrome..   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OpenTable in December 2012.

Interview Details – HR contacted me, then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager (VP, Prod Man)

Interview Question – No hard questions really...   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable in August 2012.

Interview Details – First round was a brief phone call, the second round was an in-person interview for 3 hours. I got a feeling that its one of the worst IT engineering places to work in the bay area. I just want to join the band of ppl at glassdoor who had horrid experience with the engineer aspect of this company. I would say even if you don't have a job don't go for the engineering team of this company, unless you wanna comprise and sacrifice your "SELF RESPECT"...thanks again glassdoor for letting me share my experience

Interview Question – how do use BDD   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Bad career option

Very Easy Interview

If You Dont Have A Job, Interview With OpenTable Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at OpenTable in March 2012.

Interview Details – To interview with the ERB Team, you need basic C++ skills that can be answered over the phone, you can find them online.
The situation of the team is such that they are ready to hire anyone who is willing to work.

Especially, the managers have limitations, so they are not looking for smart people. They will ensure every interviewer will give a positive feedback, if you are not smarter than the managers.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work on obsolete technologies ?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After meeting the team, it seems that the negative engg reviews on glass door are real. Thank you glass door, my career is saved.

Product Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OpenTable in November 2010.

Interview Details – I had a great experience interviewing with a very organized team and hiring manager. After a phone screen I was called in for two series of 4 hour interviews, meeting about 9 people in total. Along with making sure that I had the skills required for the position, the team was mainly assessing my personality and possible fit within a group.

If you are going to be applying for a position at OpenTable, particularly for a Product Manager position, be sure you are very familiar with the product and be ready to suggest features or improvements to the services they provide.

While an offer was expected, I was unfortunately unable to wait and took another opportunity due to personal time constraints.

I would strongly advise applying for a position with this particular team, as all members were welcoming and very knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for OpenTable? Contribute to the Community!

OpenTable Videos

OpenTable – Why Work for Us?

"I love OpenTable!" That's what we hear when people find out where we work. And guess what? We love OpenTable, too. We love connecting diners with restaurants - and our enthusiastic team has made OpenTable the world's… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenTable interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by OpenTable employees and interview candidates.