OpenX

Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OpenX in April 2014.

Interview Details – Process: Initial phone call, on-site panel interview, technical test, and offer.

It was a pleasant interview experience. The interviewers asked great questions that I felt really relates to the position and the culture as a whole. Everyone I met was highly intelligent and easy to talk to.

I wasn't given enough time to think about the offer. The acceptance time window was short.

Interview Question – Excel test and SQL discussion.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I felt rushed to make a decision.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OpenX in June 2012.

Interview Details – Talk to manager, get the on-site, get the offer. Very fast

Interview Question – To get used to their system   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not do negotiation.

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OpenX in October 2013.

Interview Details – Process took about 3 weeks. Initial phone screen with a recruiter, basically walking you through your resume. About a week after, phone interview with the hiring manager (VP of Biz Dev). This was more elaborate, questions like: what do you know about OpenX? What about RTB? Why leave your current company?

After successfully passing the phone interview, I was brought on-site to speak with the hiring manager and 4 other managers individually for about 45 minutes each. Each manager tested your knowledge of the industry, platform, company overview, and passion for the position. Also asked about your previous experience in closing deals, build a pipeline, etc. I received a call from the recruiter two days later saying that they decided I was not a strong enough candidate. Quite unprofessional, as I was not even given a reason as to why.

Interview Question – Explain how RTB works
Explain the different OpenX platforms
What type of deals have you closed before
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hadoop Engineer Interview

Hadoop Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OpenX in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initial call was with HR to get to know if I am a good fit. Next round was a coding task for 1 hr.
I cleared that round and next was a technical interview. It is to getting to know the proficiency in Java and Hadoop.
Interviewer thought that I was talking to some other guy during the interview, but honestly I was not.

Interview Question – Decorator pattern   View Answers (4)

Senior Developer Interview

Senior Developer

Interviewed at OpenX

Interview Details – Phone interview. Went through the first HR rep and then a technical call. Didn't know it was going to be technical, I was sick at the time. I didn't want to reschedule because I figured it would be just a 30 minute getting to know you, but it was full tech. I was coughing the whole time and had a fever and did pretty poorly. They did not respond which I thought was extremely uncourteous.

Interview Question – It was some traditional white board (online) questions. How to execute code.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Pasadena, CA

I applied online - interviewed at OpenX in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got contacted very quickly by the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview. The first 30 minutes of the interview consisted in a cosing problem involving sorting. The second 30 minutes, with an additional interviewer, consisted in questions about basic machine learning tools and my resume.

Interview Question – None in particular.   View Answers (2)

Software Intern Interview

Software Intern
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at OpenX.

Interview Details – Three technical coding rounds. First round was a phone interview with collabedit for 45 mins, next were two rounds of coding interview. Questions were as follows: Find the kth largest element in an array, Given a template find and replace keywords with values, Given two list of sorted non overlapping intervals, combine them to a single list.

Interview Question – Given two list of sorted non overlapping intervals, combine them to a single list.   View Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Site Reliability Engineer
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OpenX in May 2010.

Interview Details – A phone interview, followed by an onsite which includes 3-5 one-on-one interviews and a practical test. There are technical and soft skills interviews. If you don't pass the initial interview you will know right then whether you will proceed to the next steps.

I found out about it on the web and worked directly with the ops manager and team to get the position. Later OpenX got an internal recruiter and switched to jobvite. Regrettably neither were very effective so the process has gotten bogged down.

Interview Question – it was a long time ago and I don't remember those details   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask for what you want on day one because you may never get it later. This part of things has been taken over by the mediocre recruiter.

Software Engineer - Test Interview

Software Engineer - Test
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OpenX in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email for a phone screen. The phone screen is not with HR, it is with the person you would potentially be working with. Phone screen was about 20 minutes about what was on my resume. A few days later, I was contacted with an on site interview that lasted about 3 hours and 30 minutes. I was interviewed by 5 people with each at about ~45 minutes. They were all very nice and welcoming. I was told that I would receive a response in 1-2 and that was true. The overall process was very easy, however I lacked experience that they sought.

Interview Questions

• Given two JSON structures, write a function that would compare them and return true if both are the same.   View Answer
  • Standard UNIX commands that you would use as a daily user.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OpenX in January 2012.

Interview Details – The OpenX interview process starts with a basic phone screen and ends with an on-site interview in front of several individuals. The phone screen is with a single person who is terse and requests only minimal detail about your background. A *lot* of people there worked at Yahoo! (or used to work at Yahoo!).

The in-person interview consists of a series of two- to three-person panels where you are peppered with questions and expected to expedite code on a white board. Also, one guy worked at Google for three years three years ago. And, did I mention that many other people came from Yahoo!

The level of questions they ask are average and of the sort that a sophomore CS student would know fresh out of an algorithms and data structures course. This means you might see a question about B-Trees and sorting, like I did, or you might see a question about how to manage a real-time buffer queue, like I did. Don't bother pointing out the flaws in the question, like I did, because that's not answering the question, despite the insight. Did I mention they used to work at Yahoo!

Get the picture? The interview process is fundamentally flawed because it relies on testing the very things that someone in a CS class learns and may forget rather than validating experience and problem solving skill. It also is completely inapplicable to a knowledgeable, experienced, degreed programmer who may not have had a data structure course. The fact is that the interview is predicated on a faulty bias toward credentials or where one worked before, so it's tailored to obtain homogenous candidates. Didn't Yahoo! tank a few years ago when everyone worked there?! Joel Spolsky offers some great tips on how to really interview candidates for skills and not specific knowledge, prejudgments or elitism. The interviewers present themselves as very arrogant and elitist for no comprehensible reason, and that makes for an extremely negative interview process.

Interview Question – Write a self-recycling circular queue.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for OpenX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OpenX interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by OpenX employees and interview candidates.