Opera Solutions Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated May 12, 2015

3.3

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Opera Solutions (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

First 5 minutes, interviewer is trying to find my resume. He couldn't find in his mailbox, citing HR might have forgot to send. I told him I can send him and in mean time referred to my linkedin profile. Took another 5+ minutes to go through and then technical phone interview begins. He blanked out for at least 4 times; for more than 3 minutes while asking questions; deciding or google what to ask. He started with my grad projects, moving to thesis. He asked me do you remember engineering courses in Bachelors, ok name them and then asked about first year of engineering questions ranging from transistors, ohm's law etc. not relevant but still. After 40 minutes, winded up saying someone will get in touch with you in few days for next round. Didn't hear anything form HR for next 2 weeks, mailed her and next day got reply sorry for applying, we are not moving ahead.

Interview Questions

• Explain SIFT (scale invariant feature transform) workflow, Support vector Machines, Newton Optimization method.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Opera Solutions (New York, NY).

Interview

Hiring through on-campus process. Two-round interview process with three interviews each. First round is on-campus, second round in their office in Jersey City. They may take a while to give an offer after final round (up to 2 months for some people in my class...) Typical consulting interviews - no surprise: 1) Personality interview (15 - 20 min) 2) Case study (15 - 20 min) A brainteaser if time permits.

Interview Questions

• What is the number of ATMs in the US?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation whatsoever.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Opera Solutions (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through college career posting. On campus first round and in-office final round; standard 2 half-hour interviews in each round. First round mostly behavior/fit questions with a bunch of brainteasers; second round all case questions. Interviewers are very nice and easy to talk to and questions very fair (in my opinion), but it took them an excessively long time to inform you their decisions (first round in early October, second round in late November, decision in early/mid January).

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Opera Solutions (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2012.

Interview

First round interview began with two phone calls, each around 30 minutes. First was a business case dealing with churn and how to stop it for an online dating site. It involved some easy math and you had to talk about ways to stop churn and data you might want. The second was a fit interview, all pretty basic stuff, like why consulting, etc. In person interview about 2 weeks later. It consisted of 3 interviews, each about 45-60 minutes. First interview had some fit elements and a brief case about credit card fees and attrition. Second interview was a supply chain case (which was very confusing if you're not familiar with the terminology, and the interviewer was seemingly very pressed for time and really rushed me through it, which I think took away from the interview overall). Final interview was mostly fit with a brainteaser thrown in. Heard back from them about a month or so after my in person saying I was not going to be made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Supply chain case was confusing because of terminology used Credit card attrition Brainteaser   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Opera Solutions (Jersey City, NJ) in February 2012.

Interview

Very detailed and focused on expertise.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very short

Vice President, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Opera Solutions (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2011.

Interview

My former CEO recommended me to the sales EVP. He passed me to their in-house recruiter in San Diego. Recruiter had me write several papers on how I would sell a product from my former company to Opera's clients. I don't think the paper was ever passed to Opera. Following week, I flew to NJ; met many dept heads. Thorough. Great visit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salary and commission was actually very high, so I agreed that day.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Opera Solutions (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2011.

Interview

First round was two back to back 45 minute case interviews. First case was simple, something about credit card fees and attrition. Second case was about starting a business in Collegetown. Second round was three back to back 45 minutes. One was fit. One case was probability, the interviewer gave the probability of 3 different possibilities and you had to calculate the expected profit. Second case was about the profitability of building a bridge.

Interview Questions

• If you were to start a business in collegetown, what would it be?   Answer Question
    • 80% of a town currently pays 75 cents per day to take a ferry to the next town to work in a factory. The town is considering building a bridge. Walk me through the economics of it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Opera Solutions (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2011.

Interview

1.) Phone interview 2.) Case interview 3.) Super day

Interview Questions

• Two parts: Phone and case study. Phone interview was behavioral, classic "walk me through your resume" stuff. Case interview two weeks later was a 2 on 1/ no prep time thing. Most interviewees got cost estimation type questions: How many domestic airline passengers per year, how many elementary school teachers in the US. Others got more qualitative questions, such as how to make Weight Watchers more profitable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Opera Solutions (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Reached out to recruiter after meeting them at Career fair. After several attempts, finally got a response and got scheduled a first round interview. 1st round took place on campus and consisted of 2 - 45 minute interviews, one with principal and another with analyst. Brainteaser and case study were given in 1st half, behavioral for 2nd half. Interviewers were very nice and cordial. Invited to 2nd round in Downtown LA, also consisted of meeting with principal and analyst for 2 - 45 minute interviews. 2nd round was considerable easier, we talked about interests and they answered any questions I had about the company.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the dollar amount that the smartphone app market will make in 2020.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No room for negotiation due to Opera still being a smaller company with regards to other consulting firms.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Opera Solutions (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

It was an 1:1 on campus interview. I have met 3 people from Opera they asked me business case types of questions, plus my motivation for consulting and Opera in particular. I didn't make it, but also I was not really interested by consulting in general.

Interview Questions

• You're managing your own casino. You're considering to charge people or not at the entrance. What do you think ?   1 Answer